• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

lava---kilauea

Register to hide this ad
Very interesting. Never had a chance to see Kilauea. I have hiked from PTA to the summit of Mauana Kea. Pu'u Wekiu is, I believe the highest point in the Pacific at 13,796 ft. We took a picture standing around the marker. What a wonderfully strange and beautiful landscape that was to behold. The folks at Univ of Hawaii observatory allowed us to sleep in our bags in their parking area overnight. If I ever hit the lottery, I'm coming back permanently. Aloha.

Rj
 
Last edited:
how far??!...

JimJ[VT];1209980 said:
That's so cool seeing it travel underground like that...how far are you from all of that?

aloha ---i live in honolulu so it is about 200 miles(southeast) from here(and a couple of islands over)...we did "feel" the earthquake back in october(that came from the northern part of the big island(hawai'i))...oh! a new island(lo'ihi) is forming off the southwest coast of the big island(still below sea level) http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanoes/loihi/ mahope aku
 
coooool!!!

Very interesting. Never had a chance to see Kilauea. I have hiked from PTA to the summit of Mauana Kea. Pu'u Wekiu is, I believe the highest point in the Pacific at 13,796 ft. We took a picture standing around the marker. What a wonderfully strange and beautiful landscape that was to behold. The folks at Univ of Hawaii observatory allowed us to sleep in our bags in their parking area overnight. If I ever hit the lottery, I'm coming back permanently. Aloha.

Rj

aloha---that is cooool...i have only driven up to the top and back...actually pu'u wekiu (mauna kea)(if measured from the sea bottom) is the highest mountain in the world(over 33,000 feet)(that is a lot of lava!!!)... and if ones counts the earths surpressed crust below the big island...i have heard pu'u wekiu is over 50,000 feet!!!...also rejuvenation is also interesting(it gave us diamondhead etc...) http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2000/00_12_14.html ...mahope aku
 
What would John Prine say?

1) "Fascinating and awesome display of nature's power."

or 2) "Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian!"

:banana:
 
I was on the Big Island a couple of years ago and took these pictures. The volcano was kind of quiet. There was no surface lava flow but if you looked into the cracks it was like a furnace underneath. It made quite a show where it hit the water too.

A lava flow took out a road a few years earlier. There are also some very cool patterns in the lava after it cools.

- Pete
 

Attachments

  • Hot Lava.jpg
    Hot Lava.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Lava sign.jpg
    Lava sign.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Sea.jpg
    Sea.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Lava.jpg
    Lava.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom