• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leak amp refurb - burned component?

Resistor question

The schematic calls for R21 to be a 100 ohm 3 watt. This is the resistor that protects the amp from pulling too much voltage, it did it's job in this amp already.

Can I use a 100 ohm, 5 watt instead? That is all Antique Electronic Supply has, but they do have all the right caps for the amp.

3 watt metal film or metal oxide would be my choice. (Mouser)
 
I agree. Will be emailing you 3 different orders for the amp in the next few minutes.
 
BuzzK: I'm going to mount pairs of 32 uF PS caps underneath the chassis instead of restuffing the cans. Will look like this.

attachment.php

That'll get 'er done!
 
The Leak 20 amp is recapped and playing sweetly. Waiting on the preamp caps to arrive. Used paper-in-oil coupling caps, Nichicon Muse for the cathode by-pass and Orange Drop 716Ps for the other by-pass locations, all from Jim McShane. Used two Nichicon electrolytics each to replace the two multi-cap can. Just left the gold cans in place for good looks.

The pots on the preamp required a good dose of Deoxit before it sound good. Too much noise and other racket until I cleaned them.

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
That sure looks nice. :thmbsp: I'm also hoping to find a Leak amp someday, to go with my Leak speakers. You never know. :D
 
I've got a Leak 20 in horrible condition. I hate to post pics in this thread about such a pretty unit. It would hurt your feelings.

really


Forrest
 
The Leak Point One Stereo preamp is now recapped....all except for the tiny caps on the tone and volume pots, input selector, etc. on the front of the preamp.

Man.....this preamp is not nearly as roomy as the amp....lots more cypherin' required to get the caps to fit in the available space.

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Leak ST 20

Hi, nice amp you have there, I have had my Leak ST 20 for about 4 years now and she is playing really nice. I will recommend you to increase the C12 to 100uF or so this will result in deeper more solid and tight bass.

One thing to try is also triode mode and maybe a choke.
 
Hi, nice amp you have there, I have had my Leak ST 20 for about 4 years now and she is playing really nice. I will recommend you to increase the C12 to 100uF or so this will result in deeper more solid and tight bass.

One thing to try is also triode mode and maybe a choke.

C10/C11 and C12/C13 were increased from 32/32uF to 47/47uF.
 
Pictures of the restored Leak Point One Stereo preamp and Stereo 20 amp

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom