• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Learning what I can about Technics Linear Tracking Turntables

Buanadha

Well-Known Member
Well, I went a bit crazy and picked up a few of the Technics Linear Trackers - the first one I ordered, the guy got sick and didn't ship it until really late, so I just got it today. But, by then I'd already found a couple more that were pretty well priced, so I grabbed them. I currently have SL-DL1 (2 of these), SL-QL1, SL-5

A few thoughts:

* The SL-DL1's and the SL-QL1 are tanks - they weigh a ton and are seriously solid

* Both of the SL-DL1's are working, but second one I got is a bit beaten up. I've been running the arm back and forth down the rail to get it to flow more easily (it got stuck on the first album I played). He sent it with an Audio Technica AT3482P cartridge that didn't get much love on here. And he sent it without a stylus so no matter what I wasn't playing it, so I put on a Stanton 737 I have (I think with a Vivid Line stylus) and fired it up... Once I got the rails moving properly, it sounds really, really good. Will definitely need to get the right belt for the arm and replace it, and likely clear up the rail and insides so I can oil it up also

* I'm running the other SL-DL1 with the Technics P23 cartridge and a basic Pfanstiehl, and it sounds good, but the Stanton sounds better.. I'm going to see about a better stylus for this one though, as it sounds like it has potential. It's running a tad slow (just a tiny tic slow) and I want to deoxit the controls a bit and see if it clears up like it did with my SL-1400's speed. I also had to find the right angle to unscrew the lock screw on the cartridge, so I was using the P23 no matter what for a while!

* SL-QL1 arrived and wasn't completely working, so I changed the arm belt. Did that, but I think the place sent one too big as there is a lot of slack there. I'll revisit later as I have to work on cleaning and reoiling it anyway and may just take it to Stereo Rehab and let them give it a full once over

* The SL-5 appears to be working, but I need to get a ground wire for it. Apparently there are 2 kinds in the SL-5 and need to check tonight to see which one I have so I know which one to order (crazy, never would have thought that!).

* I probably wouldn't have gotten the SL-5, but it came with a Shure V15LT cartridge that adds to my p-mount collection. I'll probably switch the cartridge to something nicer and put one of my lower level cartridges on this one for pure casual listening

* given their age, they need some work, but 3 of 4 should be playing soon (once I get the ground), and look to not need tons of work. Fingers crossed that they'll

I have more than a few P-Mount cartridges to try now:

- Shure V15 V-P
- Shure V15LT
- Shure M110
- Pickering XSP-3003
- The Stanton 737 (the one I ran on one of the SL-DL1's)
- The Technics P23 (really need to try a better stylus for this one)
- Technics P22 (on the SL-QL1)
- think I have a shure M105 also

Will be fun to swap some of these in and do some side by side tests -- but need to go about selecting some decent styluses now
 
Register to hide this ad
i got a few of these turntables and service them myself (panasonic sl-n15 | technics sl-6, sl-dl1, sl-j3, sl-j33, sl-l25, sl-q6). feel free to ask any specific questions.

the sl-dl1/ql1 is very easy to get into for servicing. the sl-5 will be frustrating with those nylon grommets and pins.

yes, there are 2 types of ground wires. later tables have a center pin; earlier tables don't and you can just use a banana plug for them.

ALL of these tables use the same square drive belt: size 2.9 if memory serves.

i'd recommend superlube grease for the plastic gears and the guide rails. right now i'm experimenting with superlube ptfe oil on the sl-dl1's guide rail, but will probably switch over to the grease.
 
Last edited:
i got a few of these turntables and service them myself (panasonic sl-n15 | technics sl-6, sl-dl1, sl-j3, sl-j33, sl-l25, sl-q6). feel free to ask any specific questions.

the sl-dl1/ql1 is very easy to get into for servicing. the sl-5 will be frustrating with those nylon grommets and pins.

yes, there are 2 types of ground wires. later tables have a center pin; earlier tables don't and you can just use a banana plug for them.

ALL of these tables use the same square drive belt: size 2.9 if memory serves.

i'd recommend superlube grease for the plastic gears and the guide rails. right now i'm experimenting with superlube ptfe oil on the sl-dl1's guide rail, but will probably switch over to the grease.

Thanks! I can see how the SL-5 would be hard to work on already. I was shocked by just how small it was (I saw the sizes, but didn't really hit me until I picked it up).

Ordering the superlube grease today!
 
oh, i love the compact footprint. i have an ikea lack bookcase i use on it's side as a sofa table. lots of people have commented on how suitable the lack's interior honeycomb cardboard structure is for a turntable platform. i squirrel away 3 technics close & play linear tables inside each bookcase compartment (13"x13") with the sl-dl1 on top. each turntable even has an independent isolation platform (sorbothane, cork/rubber, foam/rubber, plywood/innertube) within the bookcase although the lack is so good it's probably unnecessary (plus it's on carpet on a slab foundation).

the sl-dl1, being the earliest design, is actually the problem child of the bunch. i've only been inside the compact linears once or twice to replace the drive belt and add lubrication. i've had the sl-dl1 apart a dozen times trying to eliminate an audible tonearm bump.

it might also surprise you that the majority of the compact technics linears have track detection and selection. the sl-3/5/7/10 are the exceptions which puts them in the minority. the sl-6 even has a separate tonearm for the track detection which is crazy in that small of a space.

otherwise the major differences are down to quartz/servo, direct/belt drive, dynamic/static tonearm and pre and post sl-5 layout (everything after the sl-5 pretty much resembles it).
 
Last edited:
A few updates:

SL-DL1 - working, got the screw holding in the cartridge loose, so I can switch out the P23 if I want to. I'm sure it could benefit from a lube/cleaning, but I'll probably run it a while and not look to rock the boat (and potentially screwing it up by screwing around with it too much). I will probably try to deoxit the pitch control as it's just a tiny bit slow and I'm hopeful that will clear it up

SL-DL1 #2 - also working now. Once I ran the arm back and forth a few times, it's moving more smoothly. I've been running the Stanton 680/vivid line stylus on this and really liking the sound. This one definitely needs a cleaning/lube/belt change, so I'll probably prioritize it. Also need to get a scratch remover to clear up the dust cover.

SL-QL1 - need to open it up again, try the superlube grease and probably need to get the right sized tonearm belt (think they sent the wrong one). Would like to get this one up and running!

SL-5 - I have the correct Ground Wire on the way for the SL-5. A seller on the 'bay helped walk me through which type of wire connector I needed.

I also picked up an NAD PP4 Phono-Preamp with an output for digital and am thinking of recording some of my more prized albums so I don't beat them up as much.. was thinking the Technics Linears might be perfect for that.
 
Technics SL-10, is the best Technics linear turntable. Built like a tank, not plastic.

I've been watching for one of those, but I think I've missed the boat on those given the prices. I saw one for 1200 and another for 700, I think! A bit expensive for my taste, but I'll keep my eyes open ;)
 
I've been watching for one of those, but I think I've missed the boat on those given the prices. I saw one for 1200 and another for 700, I think! A bit expensive for my taste, but I'll keep my eyes open ;)

Yeah, they skyrocketed in price for sure. I think it's the most popular Technics linear turntable.
 
the sl-10 is easily the most collectible (having a permanent display in the metropolitan museum of modern art in new york)...but i don't know if it's the best performing. i'd have to get my hands on one to know for sure (or rather i would want an sl-15). the sl-10 is the very first engineering model produced after all and technics did tweak the design significantly over several models and i'm sure not all of it was driven by cost cutting. if having a (mostly) aluminum chassis is the standout characteristic i can think of 4 other technics linear trackers that share the same trait.

i thought about the nad preamp, but didn't pull the trigger. i ended up with 3 other usb preamps (art, xpsound, dynasty) that are also pc soundcards for about the same price.

meguires plast-x is the best stuff i have found for late - final stage polishing.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 2600836
I've had a bunch of these over the years and keep one in a console where it's a perfect fit.
i fit a denon dp-7f into one of these and routed it via a preamp to the existing rear rca out jacks. i used black foam core to cover all the holes in the floor. if i ever do a full conversion and fit an amplifier and speakers i'll replace the denon with a technics sl-l25 linear with the tonearm in the base.
e5125c8ddeb5ec233d19e18ff1699f88.jpg
 
I had a Denon DP-15F in an Astrosonic console but couldn't get past the feedback howl, even with Vibrapod feet. The SL-5 seems to do much better in the console in the pic above.
 
Back
Top Bottom