• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

LED lamp question

winters860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just re-lamped a 140 with whsh93a's LED fuse lamps. As usual, the results are beautiful, but different and dimmer than the same LED lamps on my 2250B and 510M.

Did I do right in placing the lamps with the LEDs pointing straight out or do the LEDs produce less light from the tip? Do the 140 meters just look different?
 
Register to hide this ad
Joe,
You want the LEDs to point down, toward the meters. The light emits from the tips, very little comes from the sides.
 
Cool. Glad I did it right. There's a different look to the 140 meters than what I've had before. The blues are bluer, so to speak. Looking now at photos of other peoples', I should have guessed it. Thanks, Warren!
 
Actually,
my LEDs emit light evenly from the tips, sides and even some from their backs.

But - because of my design for my "normal" fuse lamps, you could tilt the LED fuse lamp slightly downward so that the tips of the LEDs are facing the meter's center graphics. I usually do that because I want the dispersion to be perfect.

I also make "festoon" types that have the LEDs arranged differently for use in special applications where the lamps are very close to the display or needed at the edge of the glass, etc.

Your new LED lamps should be as bright - or brighter - than the originals. However, if you opted for blue rather than white, the display might be a bit dimmer. That's because the blue LEDs output is a different wavelength than the display filter. The white does not do that and creates the desirable powder blue look.

DH

Joe,
You want the LEDs to point down, toward the meters. The light emits from the tips, very little comes from the sides.
 
Here's another LED question:

Why would the LED AUX indicator in my 2250B all of a sudden become less bright?
 
Mine have all come from Don (whsh93a). I know other people are experimenting around with doing the same thing, but he's the only one to my knowledge selling ready-made LED lamps.
 
Don,
Wherever did you find LEDs that have a 360 degree emission angle? All the ones I have seen have 15 - 45 degrees or so.
 
I think it's the glass around the LED. It's got a frost, or diffusion to it.

btw, i LOVE my MArantz 140 with LED lamps from Don! Just LUV them! Soooo, sexy
 
Here's another LED question:

Why would the LED AUX indicator in my 2250B all of a sudden become less bright?

Dirty function switch. I know, I cleaned it, but the cleaning chemicals available to us now are not as good as the ones that had Freon in them, so sometimes you have to re- clean the controls in a few months.
 
Dirty function switch. I know, I cleaned it, but the cleaning chemicals available to us now are not as good as the ones that had Freon in them, so sometimes you have to re- clean the controls in a few months.

Nope. The problem was actually in the LED. The failure rate is low, but evidently I just got lucky. It's fixed now.
 
Back
Top Bottom