• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lenco luck strikes twice!

Arkay

Lunatic Member
I worked all day today (Yeah, I work on Sundays. :sigh:), but in the evening headed out to some audio places.

First off, I spot the very elusive Pioneer HLD-XO Muse High-def Laserdisk player... ostensibly the finest LD player in the world! I'm going back tomorrow for a closer look and some negotiation, if the price is remotely within striking distance. Not sure if I can/will get it, but it is a temptation.

A bit later, I swing by the place where I recently picked up an apparently never-used Lenco L75, still in original styrofoam and plastic-bag packing (posted about previously). While there, I look over at where that Lenco had been, and in just about the exact same spot (same exact stack, approx. same height) there was another turntable, in a wood-veneered plinth and tinted dustcover -- obviously a vintage unit.

I go over and lift up the DC for a closer look. Yikes! It's ANOTHER L75! This one is used, but in generally good shape. What is more, it is complete, including the original rubber mat, still soft and nice, the original and clean-looking headshell with original Ronette flip-over cartridge in it (both styli look good! :yikes: --I've almost never encountered that before, on carts this old!) and even the little white Lenco 45 adaptor. I also rarely find the mat in good shape; at least half of the time, they are either stiffened with age or damaged by oil.

There are a couple of cosmetic issues: the DC has a crack in it by the right rear hinge -- I'll probably replace it with one from one of my lesser units still unsold. There is a small piece of veneer missing from part of the left top edge. The bad news is that this may be a little tricky to replace "invisibly", because the woodgrain has a strikingly beautiful contrasty pattern to it. The good news is that the woodgrain has a strikingly beautiful contrasty pattern to it! :D Other than these issues, this must be one of the nicest-looking oriiginal vintage plinths I've found. It's a little dull now, but I can tell that once it is restored to make that woodgrain "pop" again, it will be a real "looker"!

I asked the guy the price, and it was higher than what I paid the other day for BOTH the Lenco and a nice Fender Squier electric guitar. I pointed this out, and the guy countered with how complete and original it was, whereas the other one was missing a plinth, etc... After a little negotiation, I bought the thing for about $120.

The irony of this is that I may not see another Lenco for sometimes months, yet here were two within just a few days of each other, both better-than-average examples, and both were found in THE EXACT SAME PLACE!

It's almost like this one arrived just to donate the missing pieces that the other one had: the plinth, headshell, mat and 45 adaptor! :D I'll switch those parts over to the unused one, and if the plinth cleans up well enough, perhaps even put it in that plinth.

Anyway, that's two nice Lenco L75s in less than a week, for a C-note apiece, with a free guitar thrown in. Have to keep my eye on that space in the future, too! :yes: :D

Actually, today was a lucky day overall: I got paid unexpectedly for something (cash handed over initially was exactly equal to the subsequent price of the Lenco! :yes:), got an unexpected referral that should lead to more income, and ran into an old friend. The day went more smoothly than usual, and well; even transport connections went like clockwork. I sure ain't a-complainin'! :no:

:scratch2: ... This makes a total of five L75s for me: enough to try some creative projects, like some out-of-the-box plinth design, or a double-decker platter! :D Added to the two L70s, the L85 and the B52, it brings my Lenco stable to nine TTs, assuming I haven't forgotten or overlooked any earlier acquisitions. Lenco sold a lot of these, and given how durable they are, there must still be a lot of them around. It's not as if they were really scarce or anything... but somehow I just can't pass up a moderately-priced good Lenco. I see that heavy, balanced platter and beefy bearing, and great little motor, and --especially if there is a metal idler wheel-- I just WANT TO HAVE IT! At some point, I have to stop this nonsense, I know. I've broken myself of nearly every other audio addiction. But cheap Lencos? Nooo-o-o-o :no:

The irony of it is that I doubt any of these will ever be my main player, because even a tricked-out Lenco falls a little short of a GT-2000. But they're still great well-designed and very "tweakable" tables, and a lot of fun.

Anyone else here addicted to Lencos? :D
 
Register to hide this ad
This makes a total of five L75s for me: enough to try some creative projects, like some out-of-the-box plinth design, or a double-decker platter! :D Added to the two L70s, the L85 and the B52, it brings my Lenco stable to nine TTs, assuming I haven't forgotten or overlooked any earlier acquisitions.

The irony of it is that I doubt any of these will ever be my main player, because even a tricked-out Lenco falls a little short of a GT-2000. But they're still great well-designed and very "tweakable" tables, and a lot of fun.

Anyone else here addicted to Lencos? :D

I have an L75 and an L78, and I thought I had too many! Still looking for the time to actually start messing with them. I've been using the L78, perished V-blocks and all, as my main table for a while now and it could definitely use some attention.
 
You, sir, need to learn to share :D


And get a digital camera....

(sorry, I'm really envious!)
 
Very cool. Any chance of some pics?

Yeah! How 'bout some pics?

:worthless:

Do I detect a pattern here?
:scratch2:... maybe one day! :yes: :dunno: :D


I have an L75 and an L78, and I thought I had too many! Still looking for the time to actually start messing with them. I've been using the L78, perished V-blocks and all, as my main table for a while now and it could definitely use some attention.

You do have too many! I'll help you with that burden. You can send me the one you want least, hopefully the L78, since I don't have any of those yet. :D {Not greedy, am I? :D}

Oh, and do fix that Lenco up! :yes: I, too, have mostly "projects", because it is quicker and easier to buy something than to actually fix it up, but I did manage to get one of my earlier L75s into a massive plinth, cleaned and lubed and with some tweaking. The plinth isn't beautiful yet, just bare ply --in that sense, it, too, is still a project, awaiting veneer or paint-- but it's fixed-up enough to hear the sonic improvements. I've also "filled in" vintage plinths in two others, which helped their sound, too. Based on that experience, I'd really recommend you make time to fix yours up: these truly DO sound VERY GOOD, once fixed up!

In case you're wondering, I'm leaving my less-common models like the B52 and L85 (a belt drive, but still a nice TT) in their original form, instead of "upgrading" everything. I'll make "invisible" mods, like filling in a plinth to make it more massive and stable, and even adding what looks like a base but which is actually part of it, but I think it is better to keep such models intact, at least mechanically. As such, they form more of a "Lenco collection". The L75s and probably 78s are common enough that it doesn't hurt to mod a bunch of them; originals can still be found, for some time to come.

That is also a major reason why I'll keep grabbing any cheap L70/75/78s that I run across: with "extras", I can experiment more with extreme re-designs, while still preserving at least one "original". I think it would be sad if one day, all the Lencos to be found were so massively modded that there were no originals to be seen... but for listening, obviously the modded ones are superior.

I also don't see these going down in price any time soon. They sold a lot of them, so supply is sufficient to keep the prices from shooting up quickly, but thanks to the internet, more and more people are learning about how good these can be (at least the heavy-platter models), so demand is more likely to increase than to decrease, yet the supply of them, while ample for a while, is ultimately limited. There have been plenty of "giant killer" fads that faded away, but I don't think Lencos are in that category, as the hype about them happens to be true; they really can sound very, very nice. I think these have the potential to chase nearly the values that the TD124s are reaching. Even if they don't rise in value, they are still a sonic bargain at current prices, and I'm paying below current market value for mine (otherwise I don't buy them). Even if I end up giving half of them away, I'll still have got my money's worth, and then some, in pleasure and fun.



You, sir, need to learn to share :D


And get a digital camera....

(sorry, I'm really envious!)

OUCH, that hurt! I thought I WAS sharing, every time I posted here... but I know what you mean, so I forgive you. :D

If it is any consolation, I think I looked in vain for nearly two years for my first Lenco, after reading about them in the (sadly gone) "da Thread" and then elsewhere. I was intrigued by what I'd read, and really wanted to try one of them, but for a long time I couldn't find any. The first one I found was just too over-priced to buy it, although I still almost did. Then I finally got one, with a few issues (ruined mat). Then another, then... well, they eventually became several, but only after fairly diligent looking over several years. That's really why I was so surprised to see two in exactly the same place within just a couple days of each other: normally these are at best a once-in-a-while find, and up to now they've been spread out all over - one here, one there. Several of the ones I've seen had already made it to retail shops, where their prices were much higher (I won't pay that much). I suppose it's just the law of averages and coincidence that there would be a "double dip" chance like this, but it sure was nice when it happened, and I was there to be the guy who got 'em! I wouldn't even object to another one, if the universe is listening... :D
 
Last edited:
You do have too many! I'll help you with that burden. You can send me the one you want least, hopefully the L78, since I don't have any of those yet. :D {Not greedy, am I? :D}

Oh, and do fix that Lenco up! :yes: I, too, have mostly "projects", because it is quicker and easier to buy something than to actually fix it up, but I did manage to get one of my earlier L75s into a massive plinth, cleaned and lubed and with some tweaking. The plinth isn't beautiful yet, just bare ply --in that sense, it, too, is still a project, awaiting veneer or paint-- but it's fixed-up enough to hear the sonic improvements. I've also "filled in" vintage plinths in two others, which helped their sound, too. Based on that experience, I'd really recommend you make time to fix yours up: these truly DO sound VERY GOOD, once fixed up!

In case you're wondering, I'm leaving my less-common models like the B52 and L85 (a belt drive, but still a nice TT) in their original form, instead of "upgrading" everything. I'll make "invisible" mods, like filling in a plinth to make it more massive and stable, and even adding what looks like a base but which is actually part of it, but I think it is better to keep such models intact, at least mechanically. As such, they form more of a "Lenco collection". The L75s and probably 78s are common enough that it doesn't hurt to mod a bunch of them; originals can still be found, for some time to come.

I just realized I actually have three - one is a Bogen B52. It's one of those "portable" jobs with the TT, amp and a speaker all in the same box. Unfortunately I was an idiot once and transported it with the tonearm counterweight in place, and the stub broke off. Also unfortunately the amp is a Bogen SS jobby, not a tube amp which would have been a real score.

Finding time for projects is the big problem. My kids are young, and take a lot of my free time, plus I have another time-consuming hobby - cars. I have a 1984 BMW M635CSI (one of the first 100 made) in pieces on my garage floor. Compared to that task, building a TT is trivial.:D

I'd send you one of my Lencos, but they're both 110v/60hz models, which apparently are worth "one million dollars" since the bulk of the available units are 220/240 and 50hz. :music:

I really have no idea where I'll go with mine. I have to think about it for a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom