• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lept before I learned Rek O Kut 160

b brian

Well-Known Member
I searched out and found a Rek O Kut 160 tonearm before I realized the S160 is Stereo and 160 is Mono.
The Tonearm does not come with a headshell, so now I am searching for a headshell.
Are the Rek O Kut mono headshell the only ones that are comparable?
I see Mono Ortofon available.
Are these compatible?
 
Register to hide this ad
Unfortunately the ROK tonearms had a proprietary bayonet mount. If you are pertaining to the SPU Mono A and G cartridges, they won't work.
 
I'm pretty ham handed and impatient and I rewired a 120 for stereo no problem!

Although my headshell was toast and had no connectors so I just had the wires going straight to the cartridge. Got a nice cart on it and dont look forward to switching it!
 
This is the one I was looking at. It appears just to be a head shell, and not a integrated cartridge
Is the Rek O Kut able to take most head shells, or few head shells



s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg
 
I searched out and found a Rek O Kut 160 tonearm before I realized the S160 is Stereo and 160 is Mono.
The Tonearm does not come with a headshell, so now I am searching for a headshell.
Are the Rek O Kut mono headshell the only ones that are comparable?
I see Mono Ortofon available.
Are these compatible?

Ortofon/SME does not work. You have to find a Rek-O-Kut headshell with their proprietary bayonet mount.
 
As others have mentioned, You’ll need the proprietary ROK headshell. They come up for sale once in a while on Bartertown (@nolasally actually has one for sale right now). Otherwise, you can sometimes find them on the popular auction sites...
 
Then a follow up question is about a re wire of the tonearm.
Is there somewhere to find the end piece of the tonearm that will allow 4 wire stereo?
And if not, I ran across someone who had re wired using a 3 wire set up with a common ground to the arm/headshell.
Anyone use the 3 wire method?
 
I rewired my 160 for stereo using a standard SME connector, I also modified the ROK head shell for a standard mount as well. Both work great just a bit of patience the lateral bearings in mine were shot replaced those as well. Works great with both GE VR and Ortofon SPU.. see it in action https://www.instagram.com/fotovinyl/
 
Back
Top Bottom