• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lesser Known Jazz Artists/Album Recommendations

Poppachubby I have drank from your fountain of jazz knowledge for sometime and I just wanna say thank you.
 
Poppachubby I have drank from your fountain of jazz knowledge for sometime and I just wanna say thank you.
Just make sure that you share it unto others. Everything i know was given to me in much the same fashion. So... your welcome! !!
 
Lesser Known ??

Here are a few of my suggestions:

Nat Adderley-Trumpet (Branching Out)
Harold Land-Tenor (Groove Yard)
Benny Green-Trombone (Walking Down)
Kenny Drew-Piano (Undercurrent)
Curtis Counce-Bass (Carl's Blues)
Dave Bailey-Drums (Gettin' Into Something)
Gabor Szabo-Guitar (Jazz Raga)

How's that for a band? Anyway,most any LP from any of these guys are good-the one's I listed are just some of my faves......
 
Here are a few of my suggestions:

Nat Adderley-Trumpet (Branching Out)
Harold Land-Tenor (Groove Yard)
Benny Green-Trombone (Walking Down)
Kenny Drew-Piano (Undercurrent)
Curtis Counce-Bass (Carl's Blues)
Dave Bailey-Drums (Gettin' Into Something)
Gabor Szabo-Guitar (Jazz Raga)

How's that for a band? Anyway,most any LP from any of these guys are good-the one's I listed are just some of my faves......
Wow!!!! Great list. For me Harold Land tops that. He played in so many amazing groups - Curtis Counce Quintet, Roach/Brown Quintet & his own Land/Hutcherson group. Storied career.
 
Harold Land

Wow!!!! Great list. For me Harold Land tops that. He played in so many amazing groups - Curtis Counce Quintet, Roach/Brown Quintet & his own Land/Hutcherson group. Storied career.

Yeah-after I typed that I thought "Carl's Blues" was kinda redundant. I probably should have mentioned "The Peace-Maker" but "Grooveyard" is no doubt easier to find. I also liked the "Folk Impressions" LP he did for Imperial. You're right-the albums he recorded with the likes of Roach/Brown are must haves-not to mention his work on Herb Geller's "Fire in the West"
(a monster of an album IMO). a great if not so well known tenor man...
 
I'll throw a couple guitarists into the mix. I've never heard a Kenny Burrell album I didn't like. "Midnight Blue" is very well known and very classic, but "All Day Long/ All Night Long" are wonderful Prestige all-star sessions. A contemporary artist who really flies under the radar is Howard Alden. "A Good Likeness" or "Your Story: The Music of Bill Evans" are pretty dang good. I'll second whoever mentioned pianist Denny Zeitlin as well.
 
I like Ornette a lot.

Many guys that played with Ornette have great albums of their own. Scott Lafaro, Pharoah Sanders, Jamaladeen Tacuma, Eric Dolphy, Charlie Haden, and Don Cherry are some of my favorites that have played with Ornette at some time or other.
 
Thanks PoppaChubby and everyone else for the suggestions and words. Very much appreciated. 8-)
 
Zeego, once you get really rolling, you will hopefully begin to distinguish between different styles of Jazz. Bebop, Hard Bop, West Coast, etc.

Personally, when I first got into West Coast (being from NY and loving NY and Chicago, and Detroit Jazz), it blew me away. I'm sure you know Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Dave Brubeck, Stan Kenton and Stan Getz, but there are more "Lesser-Known" gurus of the West Coast sound. After you check out the masters of West Coast Jazz, then

Check out;

Bob Brookmeyer
Jimmy Giuffre
Buddy Collette
Herb Ellis
Lennie Niehaus
Tom Scott
Gary Foster
Al Cohn
Chico Hamilton
Richie Kamuca
Kamasi Washington

Those will get you going. The West Coast Jazz Sound is something I love, and you may too. I also still love Bebop, Hard Bop, Swing and just about anything you can think of. But West Coast Jazz has also had my attention for decades.

-Billy
 
I scored a bunch of records from an old timer record collector. total West-coaster. He had a lot of Gerry Mulligan. i haven't listened to them yet.
 
I am a big Bud Powell fan. If you like Monk he will be up your alley.

Charlie Christian is another off the top of my head.

In regards to Bud Powell, I picked up a book about him, called Dance of the Infidels. It was shocking. To me, it was one of the best books I have EVER read. And I've read a lot of books. My wife is reading it now, because I told her she should, and she can't put it down. She thanked me for talking her into reading it.
 
I just wanted to give a shout out to all the personnel here at the AK for broadening my horizons on the deep well of jazz. I decided to change directions on vinyl about a month ago to focus primarily on the genre and I'll have to say that its been extremely satisfying and eye opening.

The two records I'm currently waiting for is On The Corner (MD) and Woody Shaw (Stepping Stones - ordered today). Anticipation is bleeding to sit in my green chair and listen to the bliss. :music:
 
To go along with what Billybatts said, check out the couple of albums Paul Desmond did with Gerry Mulligan! Sublime West Coast jazz!

Also a shout out to Curtis Counce. I think there's only a couple albums that are available (late 50's), another jazz dude who passed away waaaay too soon.

Also Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster.
 
Back
Top Bottom