• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's see your portable CD players - I'll start

Fletch

Well-Known Member
I couldn't find any thread with just portable CD players and pics so I thought I would start one. If there is one just let me know.

Here is a Sony D-14 Discman circa Feb 1986:
DSCN2693.jpg


DSCN2694.jpg


DSCN2695.jpg


DSCN2696.jpg


DSCN2702.jpg


DSCN2703.jpg


As you can see the battery pack that fits onto the back of the discman covers the spot for the line out. So no way to use the line out with the battery pack on. The optional power supply pack has RCA outs on the back but they seem rather rare and I don't need it if I can find a power supply. Just found the power rating needed for a D-5 which is about the same unit but I need to verify this. States 9VDC center negative 800mA.

I like the unit. I bought it more for the nostalgia factor. I had it hanging around my neck when my wife came home. It was priceless. "Hey check out my portable CD player" as my neck was being pulled to the floor. That player is heavy with the battery pack. The CD player is solid metal only pieces of plastic are the window, power switch, and volume control.

Well, hope to see any pics. Love the look of the older players.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I use a Sony D25S(with wireles remote) as a bedside unit and a Sony D 777 as a travel unit when I want a good sounding player. These were really well manufactured players and they sound very good. It's a shame quality like this is in the past for portable units.
 
Used to have a sony discman as my main cdp, it had the line out jacks, but the sound was horrible and very thin. The output voltage of the line out must have been really low as well, because I had to crank it up with the sony but not the other components. Connecting the unit from the headphone out's was actually better IMO.
 
I use a Sony D25S(with wireles remote) as a bedside unit and a Sony D 777 as a travel unit when I want a good sounding player. These were really well manufactured players and they sound very good. It's a shame quality like this is in the past for portable units.

The thread is "Let's SEE your portable CD players."

ESPECIALLY yours! Two of the best Sony ever made.:D
 
Sony D-88. All metal construction. One of my favorites in my former collection, just for the unusual design. Made specifically for 3" mini CDs, which caught on in Japan, but not here in the States. As you can see, it plays regular 5 inch CDs as well, but they stick out of 2 sides of the player. Not very portable that way, lol. Sorry, no pics of it with the clip-on battery pack.


IMG_0079.jpg



IMG_0078.jpg
 
Last edited:
I also have the D-14 Discman,which I got new,and used it as my main CD player in my home system for many years.I have the power unit with the RCA outputs. The unit always played very nicely and I have never had any trouble with it. Right now it just sits.
 
I used to see one of those for sale at a Japanese store in Little Tokyo Los Angeles back in the mid-90's. Always was fascinated by it but could never bite the bullet and get one. ;)

You were probably better off not wasting the money on it. Compared to my Sony D-15, which I believe was released the same year as the D-88 (1988 or 1989?), I found it's sound presentation to be somewhat veiled (or maybe muddy fits), in comparison through the headphone out. Its strong suits were its sturdy construction and novelty factor, not stellar sound quality.:D
 
The D-88 is on my list. Very small design. I've looked at most of all of the Discmans on the Bay. There is a red D-50 in perfect condition for $750.00. He has several other Japanese units listed. This type of build quality will never be produced again.
 
Back
Top Bottom