• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's Talk Higher-End Vintage CD players!

Actually, yes. It sounds very good. Surprisingly good. Not to brag (too much), but I have a Sony xa777es and a mcintosh something something 201 and an Onkyo c7000r and this unit is reasonably close in SQ.
Interesting, Those are high price CD players and the Kyocera is in the same league?

If so there is a working Kyocera DA-410cx on the bay for less than two bills shipped which seems like a deal for someone.
 
Interesting, Those are high price CD players and the Kyocera is in the same league?

If so there is a working Kyocera DA-410cx on the bay for less than two bills shipped which seems like a deal for someone.
Hey. I got it for nothing....and my ears are 70+ years old. Also I'm using a Nelson Pass threshold and Martin Logan speakers. Is it in the same league as some of my others? No. But the rule of thumb that I've learned is that the difference between a lousy cheap piece of gear and mid-fi is a lot greater than the difference between the mid-fi and the audiophile wonder. Some people call this the rule of diminishing returns. I stand by my estimation that it is reasonably close to a great unit. I cannot though recommend any purchase. Your ears might be .... are probably better than mine. You may detect imperfections I cannot. They are very pretty though. Some people think that attractiveness affects SQ.
 
I'm sorry that I've helped make this thread into a new source of humor. To be honest, I thought the original Poster had checked out a while ago. I'm always interested in hearing about which CD players have continued to be relevant ages after they were made. I've picked up various units at tags and fleas over the years and would love to know which ones to salvage and commit to or which ones to toss or give to less discriminating friends.

It depends on what you mean by vintage. Is mid '90s vintage?

If so then add Denon DCD-2700 and DCD-3000 to your list. Great players if you can find one for a decent price.

Cheers,
James
 
Original post deleted. I would say that I think the Nakamichi CDP-2A is worth looking out for.
 
Last edited:
The best sounding CDP I've heard is a Yamaha CDX-10000, manufactured in 1987.

For a frame of reference, it sounds as good as the other digital source in my system, an Esoteric P-2 transport into a dCS Debussy.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 112
I bought a Sony cdp-x77es used off the bay. Digital out to a PS Audio digital link lll. Sounds very good to me. The Sony is built like a sh*t brickhouse. Weighs as much as some amps. 90% of my listening is vinyl though on the main system.
 
I have 3 Sony CDP-707ESD's. All built in '88. All still work great. The weigh around 40lbs, built like a tank. Super fast disc access and are all around great decks.
(1) here. It even still has the "new" metalized factory sticker on it. :)
zpT8kMrupE80LTkTQn-jtOmOFICJdewZ5S2SbfzTofA9pFRr2yjBgQ5CnKu_001cxG4VeJPp2yhLe1t8p9bbm-00w1tBkXZYappT-NcAKawtlpedxFz3zsHhRkGjmuCMuhCpFFuP-EQ=w1920-h1080

(2) here, wood sides removed:
l6ZVCHMOAhJHa21TyKyq9lvMkjLfYIn3p-9hm_jknrvlTWqpAXYVtMtmj59w_2BDpGbzSEsdgEisij6qgi4zNisD7VCI8xMOGa3imR1zmVVOtYHnCf9AStV-1Gu6sKDBtkzm_m0pOjE=w1920-h1080

Internals:
eFfMPCVIWUrgQg-oJxemYCZ3JjupL7OFeH-kBeMyyXfJEOALyfiEXYt662E2-QC-g_Vn5ObkjNUNsil5xqhy1pbSbtqLpJL-qhABhmDSpV2RXHKZhfumkQ_8kzs5IYYv9qPTZhwqQn4=w1920-h1080

oGXXIoxeGxK7amSiSPjBNo9eL2mOKIDXT61JtY1wr11HQG5iC7yGeXUBgHzp0xrIXu0REtjAsd8ZwSu1gPzFemjNGwJh1aKdVPyQD4iGJy7SKWX1p_hoUyNn9H8xIf1RGniVv6LO4nA=w1920-h1080

V54d9dQ_KZxTwYrfsHkeo3jmhdRtOSLs_-gjvlFeCqrFHBgpbDU9xrwf9H6dv_2eQ38VrWGNnVChrYK0D6RKaaEnbHxl6BrPmjkSV_nWeRFblCW_qrrHzVFQJrNJMS7hCA1y7N1RJb4=w1920-h1080

N8Z-6liwxbmmza69NOqobyHeGzKF2v0-9IyHX410asEid2hGv4j41HE2YL839xM3D96PixYtc9_MMTdcDMnnHGlb7bu1ZyOgAFyQvjHn8YzfuJlj4ESGtCH1g4fm-XzhqQ0wcsxy9ts=w1920-h1080
 
its not a technics but i like it and i think its a classic,
i use a sony cdp-302es ,
i would find one of those if i wanted a well made unit from yester year,
but im sure the technics units you speak of are in the same league,
however i have had a technics player and it was good ,i think it was a slp-111
bottom end but good
mike
 
Then I've been grossly misinformed and will need to take it up with my informer who regarded AudioKarma as, "The only real professional forum that exists on the internet." This has turned into the same old-fashioned, "The forum stands by the person who has a higher number of posts, while the New Member is the one made to feel as the one in the wrong." situation that gives such glimmering light to the word, Forum.

1) Just because someone has a higher post count on a forum does not automatically mean their posts are valid and someone with less should automatically be belittled. But it's what happens all the time on places like this. You guys argue more to get your post counts up rather than just sticking to the original subject matter.
2) There wasn't anything wrong TO YOU, about his question. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to feel slightly off put or annoyed from a snarky remark to my original post. It's not for you to understand, or continue drilling. I'm allowed to feel that way. The better thing to do would have been to simply move forward. But no, that was too difficult for AK.
3) His question had no relevance whatsoever to my original question. I didn't ask the question to get that another inquiry, and a snarky one at that. I asked my question to simply have it be addressed. In that instance, I did nothing wrong.
4) To further go off of that third note, I kindly addressed everyone in the hopes of good health, and kindness. Then I followed up with the topic of my post, requesting information about that, not to go into all this other stuff about the WHY.
5) Ben did BS me, even though he and apparently you and probably others will deny it to their graves. His further unprofessional response saying, "I was just curious about what drew you to them" and "Because maybe we share similar interests and you could have reasons that would be interesting to me for future purchases" Those are Born Yesterday, or Scapegoat responses. That's not at all what he meant from his original, snarky response to my question.
6) ANY rationale that I provide you or anyone else on this joke of a site, will not matter at all. That's the way people like you are wired. You will ignore anyone else's feelings on a subject, and instead continue to argue if it doesn't mesh with your mentality. Once more, reasons to simply build on your post count, wasting time. You will argue to the bitter end, rather than a simple, "Okay, so here's what I would recommend, " and preferring that this is the route that we go.

You want reasons why it doesn't match up with YOUR viewpoints, but I shouldn't be drilled for things that don't even pertain to the original question. Now, of course everyone gangs up on the new member when all I wanted was to just simply move forward and talk about the topic. I could have drilled him into the ground with insults, but I chose the higher road, and you guys just kept drilling and drilling. You couldn't just move forward. This environment is not designed to help someone who is new, it's designed for control.

I'll just sign out because that's clearly what is desired here. The only other thing for me to leave you with is, what did you accomplish today? What good did you do to help me, and far more important, what good have you done yourselves? You haven't accomplished anything good, nothing professional behavior was handled here, and I was made to feel belittled just because I didn't want to invest into a whole other conversation and stray away from the original topic. I wanted to believe that AudioKarma was different. Now I know you're all just as much of a joke as a Best Buy representative. Bye.

This guy needs a therapist.
 
The best sounding CDP I've heard is a Yamaha CDX-10000, manufactured in 1987.

For a frame of reference, it sounds as good as the other digital source in my system, an Esoteric P-2 transport into a dCS Debussy.
That is some great gear you have there. Always wanted the centennial Yamaha :thumbsup:
 
Many years ago I did a shootout of various higher end CD players I had collected in my "Mad collector" period. I've found that a lot of the better sounding CD players from mid to high end used similar or the same chip sets. So it's no surprise that any of the better players tend to sound good. I had saved that posting but alas lost it. If anyone is interested I have my opinions of the following players I tested. I used burned CD's on all and set the output levels with an SPL meter so the levels would be identical or real close. Remembering that the audio memory is measured in mere seconds I would switch between playing as they were playing the same CD at the same point in the CD and write down my observations. My ears were a tad younger then and slightly more discerning. :) I used a copy of Mark Knopfler's Shangra-La and the song was 5:15 AM. If you've never heard it. Check it out and you will see why I used it. Anyway as I drone on the following players were what I used. Yamaha CD-1, Yamaha CDX 1120, Sony CD-707-ESD, Denon DVD-5900, DVD 3910, 3800BDCI, McIntosh MCD 205. Some folks believe that only the latest DAC chipsets sound the best. My experience has been that a quality chipset is a quality chipset. I looked inside a 11K Wadia CD player and lo and behold it was a rebadged Oppo with some additional parts added. It's up to the listener to determine if the addition of those extra parts warranted the price increase or not. If anyone would like my impressions send me a PM and I'll tell you what I thought of the ones you are interested in. Just my .02 and YMMV. :) Remember life is too short to be taken Sirius.
 
Many years ago I did a shootout of various higher end CD players I had collected in my "Mad collector" period. I've found that a lot of the better sounding CD players from mid to high end used similar or the same chip sets. So it's no surprise that any of the better players tend to sound good. I had saved that posting but alas lost it. If anyone is interested I have my opinions of the following players I tested. I used burned CD's on all and set the output levels with an SPL meter so the levels would be identical or real close. Remembering that the audio memory is measured in mere seconds I would switch between playing as they were playing the same CD at the same point in the CD and write down my observations. My ears were a tad younger then and slightly more discerning. :) I used a copy of Mark Knopfler's Shangra-La and the song was 5:15 AM. If you've never heard it. Check it out and you will see why I used it. Anyway as I drone on the following players were what I used. Yamaha CD-1, Yamaha CDX 1120, Sony CD-707-ESD, Denon DVD-5900, DVD 3910, 3800BDCI, McIntosh MCD 205. Some folks believe that only the latest DAC chipsets sound the best. My experience has been that a quality chipset is a quality chipset. I looked inside a 11K Wadia CD player and lo and behold it was a rebadged Oppo with some additional parts added. It's up to the listener to determine if the addition of those extra parts warranted the price increase or not. If anyone would like my impressions send me a PM and I'll tell you what I thought of the ones you are interested in. Just my .02 and YMMV. :) Remember life is too short to be taken Sirius.
I recall how good the MCD 205 sounded when we demo'ed a bunch of CDP's. McIntosh did a great job with that machine.
 
I recall how good the MCD 205 sounded when we demo'ed a bunch of CDP's. McIntosh did a great job with that machine.

To me CD players are a lot like amplifiers. Some have a natural sound which some call sterile, neutral or clear while others sound war, or colored. It ultimately depends on your point of view or what sound you like is maybe a better way to put it. Your CDX 10000 sounded to me slightly warmer than most Yamaha players I've heard. Not that that's a bad thing as my Mac sounds to me as warm or warmer than the Yamaha. However these days I don't trust my ears enough to give someone an opinion on sound quality. I' reduced to things that sound good to me as an answer. :) All those years working in power plants, engine rooms and around tanks and weapons have taken their toll. :)
 
How vintage is 2009? It seems like ages ago. Marantz introduced the SA-15S2 SACD player that year, for $2K. I got mine new in 2013, which still seems like ages ago, for $1.3K. Best digital money I've ever spent, and probably the last significant digital source purchase for me, because I just love the sweet top end and the utter absence of gratuitous tizz. It won't undo Loudness Wars compression, but any CD that doesn't sound good on this player just doesn't sound good, period, IMO. It is the closest to my vinyl in timbre of any digital I've heard.

 
How vintage is 2009? It seems like ages ago. Marantz introduced the SA-15S2 SACD player that year, for $2K. I got mine new in 2013, which still seems like ages ago, for $1.3K. Best digital money I've ever spent, and probably the last significant digital source purchase for me, because I just love the sweet top end and the utter absence of gratuitous tizz. It won't undo Loudness Wars compression, but any CD that doesn't sound good on this player just doesn't sound good, period, IMO. It is the closest to my vinyl in timbre of any digital I've heard.


I'm pretty well convinced that your SA15S2 uses the same digital pcb and laser as my Yamaha CD-S2000, and that they are both from Pioneer. As you describe above, I'm in love with the sound that I'm getting from the Yami. Although, full disclosure, I swapped the final output op-amps with BurrBrown OPA1602 chips. The CD-S2000 is pretty much the end of the journey for me. I can't think of any reason that I need to search further.

Cheers,
James
 
Last edited:
How do you identify quality (opinion?) of various lasers and such?
I've been googling Marantz UD5005 and can find replacement lasers (mine is fine, no issue) but can't really find additional info?
I also have a Sony NS999ES, seems to be pretty nice - but getting to where it won't read most SACD's anymore.
Oh jeez, I can tell I'll now spend hours reading up on all this - see what you've started?

I also just bought a Sony X1100ES SACD player - it sounds great, I'm glad to have a new one for when my decade old Marantz fails.
 
Back
Top Bottom