• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

LF356N OP-AMP Equivalent

drp1003

Well-Known Member
HI,

I'm in the early stages refreshing an old PL 400 Series II power amp - new filter caps, new diode bridge with capacitor mod, speaker protection, and control board rebuild.

There are a pair of LF356N op-amps on the control board that I want to upgrade to new. I have a pile of new op-amps laying around to choose from, from old rebuilds I've done in the past:

(2) LT1936
(2) BB OPA 2134PA
(2) JRC 2068DD

Will any of these three different op-amps work as a direct equivalent to the LF256N?

If none of those work, then give me a good one that will.

I'm not a electronics guy. I can read specs all day long and still not know which op-amp to use.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Not my area of expertise but glancing at the data sheet it seems like it should be fine in that application.
 
Suggest you run your proposal past the PL guys at Pheonix
https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/

The LF356 is rather expensive, they may suggest not changing it. The are other mods that should be considered like the back to back diodes across C6(?). A speaker protection kit (Watts abundant or other) is mandatory. Also dream of the white oak upgrade...

The LF356 is a single amp, careful analysis of the datasheet is required to identify key performance parameters and confirm replacement candidates meets/exceed these parametrs. Rather time consuming so quicker to ask/search pheonix.
 
Suggest you run your proposal past the PL guys at Pheonix
https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/

The LF356 is rather expensive, they may suggest not changing it. The are other mods that should be considered like the back to back diodes across C6(?). A speaker protection kit (Watts abundant or other) is mandatory. Also dream of the white oak upgrade...

The LF356 is a single amp, careful analysis of the datasheet is required to identify key performance parameters and confirm replacement candidates meets/exceed these parametrs. Rather time consuming so quicker to ask/search pheonix.

Hi,

Yeah, I did the full WOPL on my Series I amp three years ago. I have it paired with a ELEKIT tube pre. I was gonna go full WOPL with the Series II amp in question here, but decided to go down a more authentic, vintage road. I have a kit coming in from eBay (QUA-CO) that rebuilds the PL36 board; but the LF356 upgrade op-amps are left out, sold separately. It seems like you said an expensive and perhaps unnecessary upgrade. I thought I could just go ahead and do some fun op-amp rolling, comparing and contrasting the slight differences in sound. I don't think that applies in this situation. Limited to one maybe two expensive op-amp alternatives. Live and learn!

Here is a PHOTO of my work so far: New filter caps, New diode bridge with capacitor mod, WATTS ABUNDANT speaker protection kit.
 

Attachments

  • 0906211017a[1].jpg
    0906211017a[1].jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: mbz
HI,

I'm in the early stages refreshing an old PL 400 Series II power amp - new filter caps, new diode bridge with capacitor mod, speaker protection, and control board rebuild.

There are a pair of LF356N op-amps on the control board that I want to upgrade to new. I have a pile of new op-amps laying around to choose from, from old rebuilds I've done in the past:

(2) LT1936
(2) BB OPA 2134PA
(2) JRC 2068DD

Will any of these three different op-amps work as a direct equivalent to the LF256N?

If none of those work, then give me a good one that will.

I'm not a electronics guy. I can read specs all day long and still not know which op-amp to use.

Thanks!

None of them will be a substitute for the 356. The LF356 is pretty cheap @c. $1 at Mouser. Why do you want to upgrade them?
The OPA134 will be an sonic improvement if the application is in the sound path.
 
None of them will be a substitute for the 356. The LF356 is pretty cheap @c. $1 at Mouser. Why do you want to upgrade them?
The OPA134 will be an sonic improvement if the application is in the sound path.
I thought I was gonna be able to do some op-amp rolling. I have a handful of op-amps laying around left over from when I was auditioning DACs and an op-amp based phono preamp. The control board of this Phase Linear 400 has op-amp sockets. I can pull the op-amps out easily and replace them with different ones just as easily. Every op-amp I have can be swapped with the others that I have. But like you said, none of them will work on the Phase Linear.

Here are three op-amps that can be substituted for the LF356: TLE2071A, LF351N, AD825. I have no experience with any of these nor do I have them in my meager pile of leftover op-amps, so I'm not gonna bother with upgrading right now. Perhaps in the future.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom