• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Life After Facebook

gillsev

Well-Known Member
I have been on Facebook for about two years now and been consistently active there with 575 friends and counting. Some are total strangers and mostly female. I have come to know them and have become close to them even as strangers. I know we will never meet each other personally in this lifetime because they are halfway across the globe, so Facebook is the only way for us to be in touch. One of them I have really gotten close to even sends me chocolates and some souvenir stuff from her country. Very nice people (even as strangers). I think strangers are some of the nicest people you will never get to meet in reality, but only in sincerity of heart. I have really enjoyed their "virtual" company with their "Likes" and comments and PMs that they have become my daily routine in responding to them.

But when your spouse is not on Facebook and she sees pictures of my friends, she doesn't understand the Facebook protocols and jealousy sets in her heart. Finally she told me that she wished that I'd deactivate my Facebook account. Well, that was very hard for me but I had to make a choice and make her my priority. She is the one I see and touch everyday. She is the real thing ... my life to me. So I did!

Now only 2 days has passed without my Facebook life, and I will honestly admit that I am incredibly lonely (almost to tears)! :tears:
Why is this?? How did I survive without Facebook before? Anybody out there with life after Facebook who can share?
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry to hear of your loss. Computers ARE reality as far as freknds and family may be concerned. This thread and forum are proof of them.
But family at hand trumps those online, and if your wife felt you were neglecting her for those online, you do need to reconsider how you spend your time.
FWIW, I find Facenook a godsend for families separated by miles as I can be a bigger part of those away from me by the access it provides to them.

Like any tool, it works only as well as those wielding it and can be extremely valuable if used properly.
 
still have my account,but rarely bother to look at it...i can reach any of my real friends via phone,email or just dropping by anytime.

the people on my FB are a collection of people i used to know in other cities,far flung family i don't really know,work colleagues and a few others.ironically very few of those that i consider close friends are even signed up...the only one of the FB bunch that even matters in my day to day life is my GF,and i see her everyday at home...
 
+1 Your wife did you a favor. Computers aren't reality.

Ray

Not even that. My wife has a Facebook, but thats because she has family overseas and it makes it much easier to keep in contact with them. I dont have one because I dont need to read everybodys life story, Ill get the Cliff Notes next time I see you. As far as I can tell, Facebook is just another passing fad. The proof is in the CEO. Zuck was smart to sell all of that stock, it made him quite a bit of money. If he had confidence that the company was going somewhere, he wouldve held on to it ;)
 
Facebook can be a great social tool for keeping up with friends and family. It can also get out of hand very easily.
 
Back
Top Bottom