• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Life goes on

Tapehead47

Addicted Member
I've been hanging around here since about 2006? Something like that.

I've learned so much in those years! Not just about stereo, but about people. And life. It's still my favorite forum to visit! Haven't been here too much lately, but things change and we get redirected to other interests.

Thru the guidance of AKers I have achieved a point where I just don't need a better stereo. It's not anything close to what some of you would call the ultimate rig. But I'm almost totally satisfied with it! Of course, if I could get my hands on a fantastic Mac system for a decent price I'd jump on it in a New York second!!

I now have Klipsch Fortes, a Hafler pre-amp, a Technics 1200 Mk2 with a Shure cart, and an Audiosource Amp 7 for power. Feeding into it is a Sony CD player/recorder, Sony MD player/recorder, Nakamichi BX-300 cassette, Sony XDR-FHD digital tuner. Also some speakers (JBL 4311). I could make a 3rd and 4th system.

Been traveling a bit, bought a Subaru Forester, a new tent, lots of cool camping gear, and a Sea Ray 290 Sundancer cruiser.

Oh, and I've retired! I'm 63 now and bailed out of the school system before it got too unbearable.

Enjoying life in my ManShun where I have my 'puter, HD TeeVee, Stereo, refrigerator, and all my junk. And Oz, my Border Collie. Life is good!

My second system is a small wonder. Allison bookshelfs, Sony CD carousel, a Sony MD player, Sound Dynamics 10" powered sub, with a Luxman Reciever. I could live with this system alone!

On the shelf in storage are about a dozen miscellaneous amps/receivers/Reel to Reel decks/Cassette decks/Equalizers, etc.

Geez! I previewed the post an now everything is out of chronological order!

Wanted to add that AK friends I have are top-notch humans who I love to pieces! :banana: Redboy, Snade, Clydeselsor, Simi, Thedelihaus, homer J, Masterlu, Onepixel, Ovenmaster and others.

Sorry for the mix up! I'm not a computer whiz!

Rick in Lutz, Fl.
 
Register to hide this ad
Rick, thanks first of all for the very kind words. And second, I'm glad to see you back, and I hope you enjoy retirement. Congrats on making it out alive! :D

Tom
 
Rick, it's good to hear from you! Didn't know that you'd retired. That's wonderful!

Retired, camping, listening to good tunes on a good system? Man, you're doing all right! :thmbsp:
 
Here's wishing you all the best in your new adventure through life. I have been retired since 2003, so it has its benefits.

Yea, this place is great & I enjoy reading your posts.

Rome
 
Last edited:
Great post. Live well, you earned it. Happiness is ultimately what it really is about and you sure do seem happy. Hope you can provide us younguns with good advice as we approach some level of retirement.

And show us some pics of Oz!
 
Thanks, guys. You're spoiling me! The time for retiring hit suddenly and I grabbed it. Vicki didn't like it at first, but now that I'm getting stuff done around the house she's liking it. Whew!
I try to stay busy. And don't sleep in! Usually up by 7-7:30 which is way better than the 5:30 hour when I worked. Mess around on the internet until about 9am and then do the chores. On weekends may sleep till 8am, but that seems so late!
I gotta start getting more exercise, though. Like walking the dog. It's just so boring to walk. Too bad listening to music doesn't count as exercise. We'd all be in great shape :yes:

Couldn't find my favorite Oz photos. I need to organize my photo files!

Well, off I go to move the patio furniture and clean it.....seeeee yaaaa!
 
Last edited:
Looks like you are taking it pretty e-z there & nice looking doggie, Rick!

Yea, I get up every morning around 5:30 AM to listen to a sports station & tune in to Washington Journal at 6:00 AM. Then its time to log in to this place...

Enjoy...
Rome
 
Get the exercise in. Start with walking and then throw in a little jogging. Pretty soon you'll be jogging then running a liitle faster. I'm 58 going on 59 and I started the running routine almost 20 years ago and it really helps you to keep feeling young. I'm not as fanatical about it as I used to be but I still try to get in three to five miles a day. It gets you outside in the fresh air is actually very relaxing. Like listening to music. It sounds like life is good. Enjoy your retirement. I can't wait!
 
Happy retirement, Rick. Life is what you make it, and now you have the ultimate luxury of time to do everything you've always wanted to do. Enjoy!
 
It's just so boring to walk. Too bad listening to music doesn't count as exercise. We'd all be in great shape :yes:

Just get an mp3 player (yeah - I know - kinda heresy to say that too loudly, but for this purpose it should be alright), throw on some tunes (probably energetic ones to pace yourself to) and walk away to your heart's content - and benefit. That way if the walking gets boring the music will save the day. Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy it!

Ben
 
Just get an mp3 player (yeah - I know - kinda heresy to say that too loudly, but for this purpose it should be alright), throw on some tunes (probably energetic ones to pace yourself to) and walk away to your heart's content - and benefit. That way if the walking gets boring the music will save the day. Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy it!

Ben

Hmmmm....I'll try that. All I have is a Sony MD player but that should do it. Maybe I'll pick up a decent MP3 player. My brother has had me download zillions of his tunes to my PC. He just wanted to 'share' his music with me and it's been sitting in limbo all this time.
 
I spent 14 hour work days, including a 3-4 hour daily commute, until I retired in 2008.
I was......S-T-R-A-N-G-E.......suddenly having that much time off!?
I was sooooo used to getting up at 3am to head off for work, that for months after wards, I kept automatically.....getting up at 3am.
The dogs were thrilled that 'Daddy' gets to stay home and play with us!!
I rediscovered the guitar......and rediscovered that I'm STILL a third-rate hack!
Finally.....had the time to do a LOT more walking and taking care of myself better......and promptly LOST 25 pounds.
Now I'm living just outside of beautiful Santa Fe, NM (after 36 years in Maryland) and am quite enjoying a (Thank GOD) healthy and active retirement.

I sincerely hope your retirement, is everything that you would want it to be!!

Steve
 
Congratulations on your retirement, Rick. I am looking at just one more year and I will be locking my classroom door for the last time. Next year will give me 33 and I'm not sure if I can survive another year. So much has changed since I started my career in teaching back in 1979.

Go, have fun, take lots of photographs, but mostly, take care and be happy. We will leave the light on for ya!

Jess
 
Back
Top Bottom