• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lightning stikes twice: Another set of zero 9's.

wualta said:
Was that because they'd been overdriven?
I'm guessing that because of the 800mA fuse inline with the tweeter that it was due to either a poor solder job at the factory (not likely in my previous experience), or because they had been allowed to freeze in a garage somewhere in the arctic tundra of Minnesota (the more likely case)

wualta said:
So they're made like the original KLH DvR tweets-- aluminum on a tensioned Kapton sheet. An isodynamic tweeter, in other words. How does JVC handle the tweeter's backwave in the Zero9?
They do seem like a Recklinghausen design. The backwave on this version is absorbed by some cotton/fiber strips between the rear magnets. Later versions used a small rear chamber on the back of the tweeter.

Incidentally, one of my favorite audio-relates quotes was made by DvR: "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you have measured the wrong thing."
 
Thursday night-Friday morning, I had a marathon re-foaming session that lasted to the wee hours morning. Everything centered up fine, but there was not enough glue left to re-attach the gaskets, despite my best efforts, which I was a little disappointed in.

I have to say, this was one of the easier and cleaner refoam jobs I’ve done. The mid-woofers almost look stock!

I stretched the surrounds by momentarily touching a 9V battery to the terminals in both polarities. They then setup all day Friday, and I used some RTV silicone to attach the gaskets. I then connected them up the h/k PM660 which was connected to a Kenwood SA-90 spectrum analyzer/white noise generator and nearly started to cry. Nothing from either tweeters!

I knew the tweeters had tested fine, and I had even taken the time to disassemble the L-Pads and clean them. This time I was smart, and the first thing I checked was the tweeter fuse. Both fuses, although they looked fine were in fact blown. I did not have any 800mA fuses about, so I installed some 5A ones temporarily.

So white-noise back on. One thing that I immediately noticed about this set that is different from the first is the presence of low-bass. I was the goofy LC cap that the other set had that eliminated it. Now that I know that, I can tell the current owner and he can decide if he wants to mod them or not.

Anyways, they have been playing white noise at almost exactly 2.83V since 6 p.m. yesterday. When I woke up, I switched over to the CD player and started playing Sneaker Pimps Six Underground. With the h/k in “Main Direct” mode (bypassing the tone/balance/mode controls; this mode also removes 7dB of gain by removing the tone amp’s NFB from the path) they were breathtaking. Unlike the previous set, there was no apparent lumpiness in the bass response, nor was there a deficit in the infrasonics. The Equasounds may have a little more bass extension (into the teens), but these new zero9’s are definitely more balanced and have more energy.

The hallmark of the zero9’s, of course, was the excellent high-frequency extension. In that regard, they are identical to the previous set, which is to say, magnificent. Highs are so airy and effortless that they merely exist, without strain or coloration. The mid-range driver also pulls its own. Again, the midrange is the same as the previous set, and I can find no cause for complaints. Uncolored, clean, and clear.

Now that I have a winning speaker on my hands, it is a matter of making it look presentable. With the grilles on, they do look okay. But, the cabinets are scratched and one has a nasty gouge, and one of the grilles is stained. All strictly cosmetic, but cosmetics are partially why I got rid of the other ones.

Time to go to school on veneering, I guess.
 
Damn, nice pick up. Almost makes me cry, as it reminds me of the time last year when I passed up a pair of Zero 5s at a garage sale. Went home, decided that I had to go back to get them, but the garage sale was just being put away as I got there, and the lady said a man took them away a few minutes earlier for 5 bucks. *sniff*

They didn't have the JVC badges on the front, though, I believe that they had Victor badges, and were brought over by a student from Japan. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Sorry for the thread hijack. :)
 
Don't feel too bad. I would have passed on any JVC speaker before learning of the zero series. Now I pass on everything but the zero series.
 
If I bid, can I trick someone into getting them to SilverBay or I-Falls?

[EDIT]

I emailled the seller for a shipping quote. If it's not outrageous, I think I'll bid.
 
Last edited:
Mike,

If you decide against them... let me know, I'd like to go for them... :yes:

Scott
 
Back
Top Bottom