• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Linaeum LS2 Floorstanders

I sold a set of the Dipole/8" woofer originals last year. I went home to Portland and found them in a thrift shop. I will try and find the pictures. Very expensive speaker in the day. Had bi-amp terminals with an exposed xover behind the rear tweeter. Had Dip switches to change the settings.

A very interesting speaker. All 4 of the tweeters were mylar and very flexible.
 
I wrote to Aura Sound which owns the rights to Linaeum and this was their Engineering Director's reply:

Aura Systems, who originally owned the division Aura Sound, acquired
Linaeum in 1996/1997. At that time the only finished goods and parts
were the model 10, LFX, and similar. To my knowledge we did not receive
any documentation to the early Linaeum models. For that I recommend you
search issues of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound from the early 90's
for possible info, because I do remember seeing ads for Linaeum then.



I will try and find the pictures.

Jerry I would love to see those pics if you can find them. Thanks!
 
I sold a set of the Dipole/8" woofer originals last year. I went home to Portland and found them in a thrift shop. I will try and find the pictures. Very expensive speaker in the day. Had bi-amp terminals with an exposed xover behind the rear tweeter. Had Dip switches to change the settings.

A very interesting speaker. All 4 of the tweeters were mylar and very flexible.

I think I saw a pair of what you're describing above on epay last year/earlier this year.
But, IIRC, they were in Maine, of all places.

Please post pics of the model you had. I'd love to see if it was the same speaker, I saw.
 
Linaeum

Those LS2's are neato looking :D

There really is a lot of misconception about Linaeum about.

Fact is, the former owner of Linaeum did very well financially licensing his design to Radio Shack for many years. His name is Paul Paddock, still living in Portland, and heads up Aero Speakers now.

http://www.aerospeakers.com/

Although much talk about it, I don't think they ever introduced a design yet. I'm almost sure Gallo's CDT tweeter is likely sourced or licensed them.

AuraSound owns the Linaeum licenses now...but don't plan to introduce any Linaeums again. There was a post over at AudioAsylum by an Aura engineer stating this a while back.

I have the Radio Shack/Linaeum LX-8. It's plagued by cheap cabinet construction - I applied about 7 lbs of Plast-i-Clay to all interior walls AND to the front outer baffle and rear outer walls. I neatly applied bitumen damping sheets to each outer side. I added 10 lbs of 'moonrocks' to the inside bottoms - to stiffen them further - below the large ports. I damped each (Peerless) 8" stamped basket with another 2 lbs each driver to stamp out resonances. I re-wired them. I added 1/4 lb of Acousta-Stuf to the interiors and have them on sand filled 18" stands (they are a large bookshelf and the tweeter radiates quite a bit). They weigh about 38 lbs. each now :thmbsp:

A lot of hoopla about these speakers on AudioReview even...and, I don't get it. I can't listen to them for more than 30 minutes at a time. The tweeter sounds very plastic-y, very unreal. Marvelously open and able...but ultimately unreal sounding. Also, the ribbons seem to move so fast that the mating of an 8" to it is all about phase and propagation issues to the ear.

However, I also own the true Linaeum 'Tower' speakers...with the di-poles on the top. A simple 2 way with 6.5" Peerless (bottom of the line 83000-series) and the true Linaeum tweeter atop. I did many of the same cabinet damping mods to it as the Radio Shack...and the effect is magnificent.

I've had a parade of speakers trapse thru here the past few years - Vandersteen 1c, Maggie MMG (with full top and bottom Mye stands and re-built outboard crossovers), and Omega 3 - and each left with their tails dragging behind their asses in comparison to the wee Linaeum :beerchug:

It's that good - if you work on damping those cheap cabinets - and ONLY the real Linaeum products with the real Linaeum tweeters.

Fantastic stuff, really.

Someone just turned me on to Stereo Unlimited in Walnut Creek, CA (20 miles from San Francisco)who are Linaeum experts and add Linaeum tweeters atop many speakers as add-ons for additional pleasure.

Regards, John (long-time lurker) :yes:
 
I've got a pair of the LS2's that I'm trying to sell. My dad was friends with one of the original Linaeum guys here in Portland. For Christmas (circa 1994), my dad was given a pair of the LS2 speakers. He's kept them all these years, and was using them up until a month ago. They sound great (but, to be fair, I am to an audiophile what a tee-ball kid is to Derek Jeter).

Work fine, look great (a some chipping of the paint on one corner). Serial number is 2-0305. 40-inch stands, 9inch deep, 11-inch across. Very solid. Black.

I posted it on Craiglist Portland, but I supposed I could figure out a way to ship them if someone out of town really wants them.

csbrunelle@msn.com
 
Ratshack debacle? The lineaum based realistics were probably the best they have made. The origional lineaum tweeters were larger than the radioshack equivalents, but those used by realistic, RCA, and others were high quality drivers.

The tweeters are called ribbons, but really aren't true ribbon speakers. They are very nice, especially in dipole version. I have seen some DIY versions that were substantially larger, and reportedly sounded great.

Indeed. The Pro LX8 and LX7 used the Toshiba version of the Linœum (officially licensed) along with a Peerless 9-inch and TangBand 6.5-inch woofer respectively. If there was an issue with the TRS version, it was the "lively" cabinet they were in. The LX5, utilizing a die-cast aluminum enclosure, did not suffer from the same effects, of course.
 
Found some excellent Linaeum LS2 towers at the local Goodwill today. Cosmetically they are almost perfect except for one of the grill pegs is busted off. Very heavy and well built. They have the same serial numbers on both speakers. They certainly sound different than anything I've heard before, but in a good way. The soundstage in my living room has grown 10 fold over the HPM-100's. Opened them up and found an 8" Vifa woofer (see pic below) and it had some egg crate foam along the back panel. These are definitely keepers. Maybe some floor spikes are in order though.

Problem is I can't find any info on the web regarding them. The main issue is that when you do a search for Linaeum you get mostly Rat Shack stuff. If anyone has ANY info on these I would surely appreciate it.

Linaeum-LS2.jpg

Lineaum-Tweeter.jpg

Lineaum-back.jpg

Vifa-Woofer.jpg

Do you still have these Linaeum LS2 speakers? The Vifa woofer looks quite similar to the unit in my Snell Acoustics Type E/II - the main difference is the surround suspension is butyl / vinyl on the Linaeum and foam on the Snell. The dust cover is slightly flatter on the Snell.

Is the back of the cone paper? The pictures are all out of focus, now on Photobucket. What is the bass like on the LS2?
 
Anybody knows how low this tweeter can be crossed?
I realize this an old question - the TLS tweeter can be crossed over as low as 400Hz or 500Hz. It is truly impressive.

I have not seen / heard this black version. The units in my LT1000 speakers are clear film with narrow strips dampening them.
 
Actually, we know where Paul Paddock is working now: MC Audiotech: http://mcaudiotech.com/

Their only speaker model is the Forty-10, that uses 10 of the current version of the driver, called WBLS, in each speaker in a partial spherical array.

forty_10_full_narrow.jpg

The WBLS drivers are crossed over at 100Hz, and the H-frame open baffle baffles each have two 18" pro audio woofers.
 
Back
Top Bottom