• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Linn LP12 with Syrinx PU2: some questions

TheMarco

Thrift Store Audiophile
Subscriber
Hey all,

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a trade deal for a Linn Sondek LP12 with the above mentioned tonearm. I noticed that the tonearm doesn't have a lifter (I know that's not needed) but it's also lacking the 'compensator weight' as seen in the pics I'm attaching here.

I just wanted to double check whether this TT has everything I need to actually run it or would I need to hunt for other parts? Planning to put my Shure V12 type III on it for now and potentially have the Linn cart it comes with retipped.

I think the weight thingy is optional and not needed but I wanted to make sure.

Thoughts?

linn1.jpeg linn2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
That is the anti-skate weight. Most folks don't think it is optional. Is the pivot and lever pieces still on that arm? Or is it all missing?
 
I guess the big question is, can this run without anti skate like tbe AR XB (which doesn't have it at all)

From looking online it seems the missing parts are really hard to get so I'm starting to have doubts.
 
The Heybrook TT2 had power switch on the right side and narrower plinth sides and different top plate so not one of those.

The red push button switch and hole on the plinth for the lid prop indicates an early LP12.
 
So any ideas on the anti skate / arm lift?

They seem pretty much impossible to find.

Is this a showstopper? I don't want to end up spending a lot on this if it can't be used as is.
 
Spent quite some time googling trying to find these parts but it seems they're unobtanium.

I guess I'll cancel on this deal. No point in an incomplete kit, even if it's a Linn.
 
Looks like Linn to me. The on/off button location and shape gives it away.

The screen printed logo on the arm board says Linn Sondek. That kinda gives it away.
I would date that deck late 70's based on the switch type and also the plinth having the slot for the lid prop.
The Syrinx was made late 70s early 80s by a a guy called Scott Strachan. I havn't heard anything of them since the mid 80's so parts supply would be nore luck than
anything else. You could McGuyver a weight anti scate without much drama but it would take a bit of research into how these things are done.
 
The Syrinx arms were first rate, and while the lack of important parts is a big deal for price, it might be possible to rig up a string and weight thing pretty easily to replace the missing (why?) antiskate mechanism. And cuing is nice, but I often don't use it - and I'm 66 and have no depth perception since I'm blind in one eye - I put my fingernail on the record well back of the arm lift, and then gently move forward, lifting as I think I am close, and have never had a problem in almost half a century.
Everything depends on price - old, not upgraded Linn, and arm missing parts should mean a low price, and possibly your speakers didn't cost that much. A pair of speakers gone with something to show for it and no packing and shipping is always good in my book.
 
No nothing of the arm from personal experience, as stated it has a good reputation. The absent “AS” wouldn’t be an issue as far as I’m concerned, easy to fabricate a replacement or as suggested, implement another, but it probably preforms well as is…

Can you test the table? As already stated, it’s a known piece in turntable performance and it has a premium arm so I’d take that into consideration, and probably will only increase in value.


VR
Andy
 
The Heybrook TT2 had power switch on the right side and narrower plinth sides and different top plate so not one of those.

The red push button switch and hole on the plinth for the lid prop indicates an early LP12.

Yep, you nailed it.I had one like that back around 1977-78. If your looking for an old Linn, at least get the Valhalla version that came a little later.
 
Don’t let those missing parts put you off if you can get the deck for the right money. Those parts shouldn’t be difficult to replicate. I can post pics of my own PU2 if you wish.
Alternatively get in touch with Johnnie at Audio Origami in the uk. He has extensive knowledge of these tonearms. His own production tonearm, the PU7 shares the Syrinx dna.
 
I was using this arm on the Linn for quite a while ( with a AT OC7 and later a Troika. I took the anti skate weight off because it's too heavy and even screwing it up over compensates. The arm lift is rather a nuisance to be honest, luckily the 'headshell' lift is rather good, curved and long.
I'm now using the PU3 with a Koetsu and very good it is too.
 
Back
Top Bottom