• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Little Al's Record Store (Chicago late 60's early 70's)

johnny_fever

Sansui Addict. No Serious. Not Kidding.
Subscriber
As a kid I remember my Dad being friends with a guy named Little Al. He owned some Record stores In Chicago.I remember going to Al's house for a visit. He had like 20 giant talking parrot's. Does anyone remember this guy? Later Rick
 
Register to hide this ad
Little Al

I knew Al. My mother worked for him in 2 different stores one in Logan Square and the other downtown at Division and Dearborn. I also worked for him after he retired and sold all the stores. He had a warehouse on Kedzie near Lawrence and I worked for him. He had me move things around and then move them again. He was just trying to keep busy. Also worked for him at his house. he was a nice man. he developed Parkinsons later and had it real bad. Not sure what happened. I would think he would be gone by now. But lost touch with him years ago
 
Last edited:
I used to buy records from the Logan Square store. It was in my grandparents neighborhood and I would go there when I visited. The selection was a lot more diversified than most record stores at the time. I think I purchased my 1st Mothers Of Invention LP there in 68'!
 
I'm not familiar with Al's but I am with R&S Records at Armitage & Kedzie in Logan Square. They used to have a great selection in the 60's & 70's. Anyone else?
 
I vaguely remember hearing about Al's and R&S, although I can't recall ever being in either one. Most of my record shopping was done at Flipside on Foster just west of Kedzie. They also had the best collection of rock t-shirts I've ever seen.
 
I vaguely remember hearing about Al's and R&S, although I can't recall ever being in either one. Most of my record shopping was done at Flipside on Foster just west of Kedzie. They also had the best collection of rock t-shirts I've ever seen.

I used to wait out in line for concert tickets at that Flipside in the early 70's.
 
I used to wait out in line for concert tickets at that Flipside in the early 70's.

Yep. Me too. When McCartney added a third Chicago show on his first American tour, I stood in line all night behind a woman who just went on and on about how great the Kinks were. Never a word about Macca. The things you remember. :D
 
Concert tickets always at Flipside on Foster. Next door was Continental Music. They were a Traynor and Ampeg Dealer and did a lot of pro gear rentals. Used to get guitar strings there. The other Flipside in Lincolnwood Village had United Audio next door.
 
Yep. Me too. When McCartney added a third Chicago show on his first American tour, I stood in line all night behind a woman who just went on and on about how great the Kinks were. Never a word about Macca. The things you remember. :D


Waiting in line for concert tickets back in the day, was almost an event in itself! I actually met some close personal friends while queing for tix. Those sure were some great times!
 
Back
Top Bottom