• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Located a pair of Pioneer A-50 loudspeakers....any info?

Although this is an old discussion, it appears to be the most comprehensive one here on AK regarding the Pioneer CS-A50. I just purchased a pair of these for $20. The cabinets are in rough shape, but being veneered plywood cabinets, I am going to attempt to refinish them. The squeaker and squawker knobs may need a Deoxit job (one of the speakers is a bit finicky until I adjust it). I have these hooked up to my Sansui G6000 and they appear to sound pretty good ("tighter" than my Sansui SP-X7000's I've had for many years).
 
Just got a pair as well. Darn great speakers, these ones.
Sounded very nice on my Sansui 1000X and Akai AA-910.
Extremely pleasant when paired with my Sansui SP-3500, and some Kraut and Raga Rock, and Jazz.
These Pioneer love women voices to express their qualities, very precise and tube-like. Yummy...
 
Ok, I'm going to pile on here. I've had my CS-A50s for about a year. They are amazing speakers. I've even taken them to the local high-end audio shop to tease the guys with. Frankly, we're all amazed at what they can do, even with the latest $5000 amp. They stack up well with speakers in the $2000 to $3000 range.

The sound is warm across all the amps I've hooked them to. They image very well, but especially on vinyl using a number of moderately priced cartridges (and a couple I could never afford).

The info I've found on line says they were made in 1969? I'd love to know what they originally cost because, in 2020, they are SWEET speakers. You'd have to pay a lot of money to find better.
 
Count me in. I have a pair , had them recapped by a member here and they are in the living room today doing steady duty . They are reasonably efficient, but do reproduce a nice bass response. The squawkers are a bonus.
 

Attachments

  • 6B539D5B-8CB6-4010-BC9D-404BC64AE96F.jpeg
    6B539D5B-8CB6-4010-BC9D-404BC64AE96F.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 28
This is an older thread but I am eyeing a pair of CS-A50 speakers. Does anyone know what the capacitor values are for the crossover? I am assuming they will need to be updated. Has anyone needed to refoam the speakers?
 
A little more digging and I found the information and the schematic for the crossover.

In another thread Detailman suggested the following:
10uf poly non polar 250v
2.4uf poly non polar 250v
7uF non polar electrolytics
30uF non polar electrolytics
50uF non polar electrolytics
 

Attachments

Back
Top Bottom