• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Locked case-$10 Goodwill-mystery objects

I going to fill this box with very old & fake government bond certificates,
unvaluable old coins, moissanite, and donate it back to Goodwill.
 
When I was young............

My father spent a couple-o'-bucks.....on an old locked wooden box.....in Jackson, Ca.
When he finally got it open.....he found an old revolver.....in non-working condition.
I have no idea.....what ever happened to that pistol?

Steve
 
Technically, a hygrometer measures humidity, and a thermometer measures temperature, so what you have there is both, in one case.

Cigar humidors (the proper term for a cigar box that has humidity control) are often very finely veneered, and quite beautiful. Often very expensive, too. Go look in a high-end cigar store one day, and be prepared to drool! Antique ones are considered quite collectible, too.

You got a VERY GOOD thing there! :yes: :thmbsp:
 
fotno knows some stuff.

Why thank you Sir...

On the topic of cigar humidors: As Arkay mentioned they can be quite valuable, and even the least expensive of them will still bring more than ten dollars. I would guess that the one you have would've retailed for at least $50, and could have brought more than that. If you have a cigar smoking acquaintance you could always pass it along. I don't know many cigar smokers who couldn't use another humidor.
 
Takes a smoker to know these things.. Looking at the very first picture I knew it was a humidor before I ever saw the innards.. Wish I could stumble on something like that... They aren't cheap..
 
Technically, a hygrometer measures humidity, and a thermometer measures temperature, so what you have there is both, in one case.

Point taken. Most digital units combine both into a box labeled as a hygrometer, though.
 
Takes a smoker to know these things.. Looking at the very first picture I knew it was a humidor before I ever saw the innards.. Wish I could stumble on something like that... They aren't cheap..

Ditto on all that. I didn't click the first pic though, saw what it was when they were mounted up top like that.

Damnit, I was just reminded of these La Aurora Preferido Maduro that have TONS of bloom all over them at a local shop, 23 bucks each! They smelled amazing.

Curse you all! ;) :smoke:
 
It would cost an extra $30 to get a key made. That would mean $40
for something that may not work. I guess I could start with a new battery.
I opened it from the rear by removing the hinge pins, so there is damage to the hinges. I was too curious. The locksmith wanted me to leave it with him overnight.
Since I didn't know if something incriminating was inside I decided not to get a key made.

I will put it all back together and save it for another day.
 
You're not that far from Washington DC. If you see the name Bill or Monica on anything, I'd wash my hands.:sigh:
 
What uses for humidors other than cigar storage?

Of course, without any moisture devices inside?

And do they retain their moisture if left open to dry? I'd think not, but want to check in with folks in the know.

I have my recently deceased father's humidor I gave him years ago, but rarely indulge in cigars.
 
fotno is the winner, it is a cedar lined cigar humidor. The hygrometer, to measure humidity, I bet still works, just needs a new battery. Wipe out the interior with a cloth and some distilled h2o and you should be good to go. I would chuck the dispenser, and if you smoke cigars just put a piece of sponge with some distilled water on it in a plastic cup and you will have a functioning humidor. Try to keep the humidity between 70-75%. Or if you don't smoke you have a cool new box.
 
Back
Top Bottom