• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Longer albums on single CD

d_jam

Active Member
I noticed a similar thread on another forum (but I'm not a member on there!) so thought why not start one here!

While I'm working at home I like music playing all day, but I don't like getting up to flip sides of a vinyl LP (pure laziness!)
..and now...even changing CD after a short album can get annoying! So I've been searching my collection for single CDs that are longer in length than most. So far I've found:

Division Bell - Pink Floyd (66 mins)
Babylon by bus - Bob Marley (73 mins)
Layla and assorted - Derek and dominoes (76 mins)
Urban Hymns - the Verve (75 mins)
Blonde on blonde - Dylan (72 mins)
London calling - clash (65 mins)

Anyone know of any others?
 
Register to hide this ad
There’s tons of compilations that are almost the full 78 minutes that CD’s typically hold. There’s also plenty of CD’s that have 2 albums on it. Lots of others with bonus tracks.
You will not find many popular titles in those groups because the public will still pay through the nose for them so why discount.
 
I don't like getting up to flip sides of a vinyl LP (pure laziness!)

Not laziness!! With streaming services like Spotify, I can barely be bothered to pull out a CD (I should, but I don't).

You, sir, are an overachiever! :) :thumbsup:

So I've been searching my collection for single CDs that are longer in length than most...

Cherry-picking CD's for length seems pretty limiting content-wise, and max length is around 74 minutes. You can inexpensively buy a used 5-cd carousel CD player, or even a 400 CD Sony player, these days that would give you very long playing time regardless of what CD's you play. Might be worth the relatively modest investment for your situation.

You could burn a LOT more songs on CD if you store them as MP3's (compression), but you'd need to make sure your exiting CD player can handle MP3 cds.
 
Last edited:
This has been occurring to me actually. How inexpensive is "inexpensive" though?

If you search for "cd changers" on the popular auction site, you'll get an idea. You can add on a "mint" or "excellent" to the search to whittle down the results a bit. Seems like you can get a 5-disc changer somewhere around $100 shipped. 200-400 changers seem to be around $150 to $300 or so. JVC 200 disc changers seems to be crazy cheap -- not sure if they are any good or not (I generally prefer Sony for CD players).

If you search on Craigslist, you might find very inexpensive options (for carousels at least, not sure about mega CD changers).

The carousel 5-disc changers are better than those that use cartridges to load the CD's -- I think carousels are generally more reliable and switch discs faster, in addition to being easier to switch out CD's.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom