• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Look What Awaited Me in My Lab Today: QC-800A, QM-800A, CS-701

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I walked into my lab today, and lo and behold there were 4 boxes blocking my path to my chair: QC-800A quad preamp (the 1st with SC decoder), QM-800A quad power amp, and a pair of CS-701 speakers, all in their original boxes. Don't you just love that when it happens?

I haven't opened the boxes yet, but I expect these goodies to be in pristine shape, seeing as where, or who, they came from. I picked up a PL-L800 TT from him, in near pristine condition just a few months ago.

The 800a combo is of the same era and styling as the SA/TX-9100 set, so, I'm wondering if they are as nicely designed and built...:scratch2:

I looked up the CS-701 speakers, and they used treated cloth surrounds, so there should not be any rot there.

PICs to follow, when I get the boxes home and open...

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Register to hide this ad
Folks, we have quad :yes:

Everything is in superb cosmetic condition.

The amp has ID numbers etched into the metal grill in the top rear, but is otherwise unblemished. I can't find anything non-functional about the amp.

The preamp has ID numbers etched into the back panel, but is otherwise unblemished. The front, right channel makes a serious popping noise when switching its treble control (probably a job for DeOxit), but is otherwise fully functional.

The speakers need a good DeOxit treatment of the treble and midrange control switches, but othewise sound quite good. Cosmetically there are a couple of really minor blemishes, that can likely be rubbed out. The woofers are intact and do have cloth surrounds. Iam really suprised how nice these sound.

As to the internal appearance of the preamp and amp...They are indeed nicely shrouded, but not as attractively as the SA/TX-9100 combo (just an increment less high end).

I think the preamp and amp are good candidates for a full-up restoration, including recap...

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
OK...I finally found the opening in time enough to take a couple pics.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 

Attachments

  • CS-701.jpg
    CS-701.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 77
  • QC_QM-800A Set.jpg
    QC_QM-800A Set.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107
  • QC-800A Front.jpg
    QC-800A Front.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 68
  • QC-800A Interior.jpg
    QC-800A Interior.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 99
  • QM-800A Front.jpg
    QM-800A Front.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 67
  • QM-800A Interior.jpg
    QM-800A Interior.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 81
Beautiful equipment you have there. Have you been able to tinker much with any of it? Does the quad power amp retain the sweet warm sound of the SA-9100? How do you like the cs-701's, I've been interested in this speaker and would like to hear your opinions about it. From what I have read you seem to like it so far.
 
I only really checked this gear out for functionality, in my lab. The speakers were down on the floor, so the comparisons would not be fair.

I am quite impressed with the sound of the CS-701 speakers, even positioned as they were. I am pretty impressed, as I was under an apparently false assumption that Pioneer did not make nice sounding speakers before the HPM series. The 701s sound suprisingly good, although their pots need some treatment.

The sound of the 800A combo was nice enough to impress me with the sound of speakers that were nowhere near optimally positioned. That's all I know right now. The gear has been returned to their original boxes, and I am now trying to figure out how much to offer for them...

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
I walked into my lab today, and lo and behold there were 4 boxes blocking my path to my chair: QC-800A quad preamp (the 1st with SC decoder), QM-800A quad power amp, and a pair of CS-701 speakers, all in their original boxes. Don't you just love that when it happens?

I haven't opened the boxes yet, but I expect these goodies to be in pristine shape, seeing as where, or who, they came from. I picked up a PL-L800 TT from him, in near pristine condition just a few months ago.

The 800a combo is of the same era and styling as the SA/TX-9100 set, so, I' qcm wondering if they are as nicely designed and built...:scratch2:

I looked up the CS-701 speakers, and they used treated cloth surrounds, so there should not be any rot there.

PICs to follow, when I get the boxes home and open...

Enjoy,
Rich P
I know this is a old thread.. but i just picked up this beautiful QC-800a and was wondering if it was ment to be paired with the qm-800a? I want to put this whole Series togather. With tt, eq, tape deck. Don't they qc and qm do the same thing ?
 
I know this is a old thread.. but i just picked up this beautiful QC-800a and was wondering if it was ment to be paired with the qm-800a? I want to put this whole Series togather. With tt, eq, tape deck. Don't they qc and qm do the same thing ?
The QC-800A is a 4-channel preamp with decoder. The QM-800A is the 4-channel power amp. If you want the tuner that goes with the series, you want the TX-9100. All will need a bit of restoration, but are well worth the money and effort. Pioneer's design team during that period turned out some very nice stuff.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Last edited:
The QC-800A is a 4-channel preamp with decoder. The QM-800A is the 4-channel power amp. If you want the tuner that goes with the series, you want the TX-9100. All will need a bit of restoration, but are well worth the money and effort. Pioneer's design team during that period turned out some very nice stuff.

Enjoy,
Rich P
Doesn't the QM-800a have the same wattage output as the qc. ? And yes im looking at a 9100.
I'm also have a problem finding the service manual for the QC-800a so I can check the offset and high idle.
 
Doesn't the QM-800a have the same wattage output as the qc. ? And yes im looking at a 9100.
I'm also have a problem finding the service manual for the QC-800a so I can check the offset and high idle.
The Pioneer QC-800A is just a preamp. It does not have amp outputs capable of driving speakers.

Rich P
 
Back
Top Bottom