• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking at picking up a Pioneer RT-707 (price thoughts)?

DJDDay

Active Member
I've got an Akai GX-747 DBX (replaced all belts including the tension myself), as well as an Akai GX-4000D. Been eyeing a Pioneer RT-series for a long time (the 909 is my goal, but I've also considered picking up a 707 to replace my Akai 7" deck). Found a local seller - the RT-707 is in great shape cosmetically (dare I say mint, aside from the head block cover), but one of the pinch rollers is pretty glazed. Not too worried about those, can always send them to Terry, but other than that - it works fine. I'm sure it will need a typical cleaning & relube, but even though caps are original it works fine (for now).

You all think $550 USD is a fair price to pay for this deck?


405470848_6955995811113675_5204776138268472095_n.jpg

398871330_5792938174164440_133946742062783383_n.jpg
399000110_24527632160185981_418420762858934546_n.jpg366995123_24297901109854853_5759525805540048660_n.jpg406779613_7255026534560743_4574665351419411420_n.jpg406777081_6861537627270590_6505320453531151062_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Nice deck... I always buy the 10" capable decks since I only have one at a time but you are not lacking 10 inchers. If the heads are good to go, grab it. The price seems to be in line and I see them going for that and WAY higher.
 
$550 is not out of line if the heads are good. I paid more than that for mine 5 years ago in similar shape…
 
Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I’m bringing a magnifying lens to look at the heads, but unfortunately I won’t be able to bring a microscope, so hopefully I can tell their shape in the field. Supposed to look at it today.
 
Cool! I find the fingernail test tells me most of what I need to know about heads. I have one of these in the garage awaiting restoration. Weighs a ton and I don't know if I can get it down to the basement lab. Pretty sure it won't take 10" reels.
 
Weighs a ton and I don't know if I can get it down to the basement lab. Pretty sure it won't take 10" reels.

Yeah, this thing feels like a solid block of lead - it's built like a tank! Also, you're correct - this is just a 7" reel machine. Since mods moved this thread to the Dollars and Sense subforum, I started a new "proper" thread here:

 
Back
Top Bottom