I recently got interested in audio cassettes and want to experiment a bit with recording a few tapes from digital sources, mainly from my PC. Part of this is just to learn how the process works properly, and part of it is because I genuinely like the format.
I have zero experience with cassette decks, so I am looking for something decent, straightforward, and not too fussy. I do not want overpriced collector-grade vintage gear, but I also do not want the absolute cheapest junk.
My goal is simple: record my own playlists onto blank cassettes - I already have a few new RTM C90s from Thomann - using a digital source, most likely a PC or maybe an external audio interface.
What I am looking for:
If anyone has advice on these models, or on what I should prioritise as a beginner, I would really appreciate it.
I have zero experience with cassette decks, so I am looking for something decent, straightforward, and not too fussy. I do not want overpriced collector-grade vintage gear, but I also do not want the absolute cheapest junk.
My goal is simple: record my own playlists onto blank cassettes - I already have a few new RTM C90s from Thomann - using a digital source, most likely a PC or maybe an external audio interface.
What I am looking for:
- decent recording quality
- something working / turnkey if possible
- practical for recording from a PC or other digital source
- not overpriced - ideally under 200 EUR total (roughly CHF 200)
- something I can realistically find in Switzerland, for example on Ricardo, Tutti, or in local second-hand shops
- Is it better to look for a relatively recent deck for practicality and reliability, or older models if I want a more "real" cassette deck experience?
- What specific models are worth looking for in this price range?
- What inputs or features do I actually need if I want to record from a PC or another digital source?
- Is under 200 EUR realistic for a solid working deck?
- Anything a beginner should avoid?
- Yamaha KX-200 - CHF 154 - https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/🎶-yamaha-kx-200-hifi-revise-revidiert-1309692694/
- TEAC V-550X - CHF 180 - https://www.ricardo.ch/fr/a/teac-v-550x-platine-cassette-stereo-dbx-dolby-b-c-1313500552/
- TEAC V-610 - CHF 160 - https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/teac-v-610-1301942490/
- Yamaha KX-400 - CHF 167 - https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/🎶-yamaha-kx-400-hifi-autoreverse-revise-revidiert-1307451174/
- JVC TD-V521 - CHF 200 - https://www.ricardo.ch/fr/a/jvc-cassette-deck-td-v521-1301085446/
If anyone has advice on these models, or on what I should prioritise as a beginner, I would really appreciate it.