• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

looking for a pair of wired over ear headphones

sandbucket

New Member
Hello!
So i have a pair of samson sr850's and am thinking of upgrading. I want a pair of wired over ear headphones for gaming and music. I really like the self adjustable headband of the sr850's. I find it very comfortable so i would prefer that my next headphones have that too. it needs to be driveable by my laptop. i would prefer openbacks as i plan to use them mostly at home. I dont need a mic or noise cancelling. i am looking to spend around $400 (canadian) plus/minus 50 dollars. Right now i am considering the meze classic 99's. Any suggestions for headphones that fit these criteria?
Thanks so much!
 
Register to hide this ad
As always, I recommend you take a look at the offerings from Grado. You should be happy at way under your budget although you can invest that much or more in them. Check out the SR series

https://gradolabs.com/headphones

so i took a look at the grado headphone line (these are exactly what i was looking for). i read that in terms of sound the sr225x and the sr325x are very similar. Is there a difference in sound big enough to warrant getting an sr325x? i also read that the sr325x is made of metal. Would this have a large impact on how lang a pair of these headphones would last me? also do they have replacable stereo cables? thanks for the help
 
The SR-80 series has always been their bread and butter over the years. Very well regarded earphones and good enough to please all but the most demanding listener. Try to find a place that sells them and audition. The SR-125's will probably be more than good enough for your needs and carries what is supposed to be a better ear cushion. Keep in mind the pads are all interchangeable and there is not a lot of difference in sound from the different models in the line.
 
Most Grado's are ON ear, not OVER ear phones.
I found them uncomfortable after about an hour or so, YMMV.

Just got a pair of HiFiman Sundara's and am quite impressed, might be worth checking out.
 
I’d consider Sony MDR1AM2 or whatever the current model is. I have the older version with integrated DAC and amp, but I use them wired / passively. The later models are supposedly even better. They are the most comfortable over ear headphones I’ve used, and I really enjoy their sound.
I’ve also had a pair of Grado SR-80’s for years. They are not comfortable at all to me, and they sound harsh. I can best describe it as how most horn based speakers sound to me - extremely detailed, harsh, and ear pain inducing after an hour or so of listening. Other Grado models haven’t been much better for me. I do like them occasionally for certain music for limited listening. I’d def chose these Sonys over any Grado I’ve ever heard or worn.
 
Most Grado's are ON ear, not OVER ear phones.
I found them uncomfortable after about an hour or so, YMMV.

Just got a pair of HiFiman Sundara's and am quite impressed, might be worth checking out.

I've had my Grado SR-100's for quite a while. However, when I first got them, the supplied cushions were irritating. I replaced them with cushions from Ear Zonk. After that they became quite comfortable.

There is one small problem. Grado's are on ear not over ear.
 
Last edited:
i dont know how much these are in canada but i would recommend the audio technica ath-r70x, or the sennheiser hd58x jubilee. the audio technicas are one of the best sound open backs i have heard in this price range.
 
i dont know how much these are in canada but i would recommend the audio technica ath-r70x, or the sennheiser hd58x jubilee. the audio technicas are one of the best sound open backs i have heard in this price range.

$429.00 CAD. as per amazon.ca

I'm not too keen on the Jube but I agree the 70x is certainly worth serious consideration. Japanese know-how and hot looks. Sounds sweet to boot.
 
i am actually wearing my 70x right now, i love them.

The 70x is, imho, second only to the Sundara in the mid-fi segment and for those who aren't too keen on planars AudioTechnica is the logical alternative, along with the first-generation of Senn Momentums but the latter are pricey at $500. Audiotechnica is a hydride phone as it caters to to both audio enthusiasts and recording engineers, they are ubiquitous in recording studios owing to their overall flat response (in a positive connotation), afordability (compared that with $1800 Focal Clear Pro) You've made a very good move. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom