• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for advice on vintage fans

specialidiot

Break Glass, Smoke Lucky
I've seen some references to vintage fans on AK and thought I'd seek out the collective wisdom.

My home office is on the second floor, and in this old house the AC doesn't reach upstairs real well. I'm fortunate to have two double hung windows in my tiny space, but I'l like to add a vintage fan.

Are there certain types that are safer, more dependable, and just as important to me - relatively quiet?
 
Register to hide this ad
http://afca.mywowbb.com/

Ask away! Those guys are as crazy about fans as everyone here is about audio. I have a 50s vintage Emerson from my old university in my office, a 30s Emerson under restoration, two art deco-styled cheapos under slow restoration, and I recently picked up a tiny 1920s era Westinghouse.

I think a 12" or 16" Emerson would do exactly what you want, they're available at reasonable prices, and they're bulletproof.
 
I have a half dozen vintage fans- none safe or quiet, unfortunately.

I also have a newer "retro" fan that is very safe- and cool looking- but still not something I'd call quiet.

I'm interested as well in the responses regarding quiet models...
 
Sorry I only have newer fans in the house, but I did see an older thread pop up last month on some folks who collect vintage fans. Did a quick search and here is the thread I had read.

Regards,
TB
 
Sorry I only have newer fans in the house, but I did see an older thread pop up last month on some folks who collect vintage fans. Did a quick search and here is the thread I had read.

Yeah, wow, who knew? Yeah, I shoulda done a search.

Still... I want one for my desk. Summer days, windows open, baseball on the radio.
 

Attachments

  • Vertical Fan overall view.jpg
    Vertical Fan overall view.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Vertical Fan plate view.jpg
    Vertical Fan plate view.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom