• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for an audio rack wide enough for Sansui G8000/9000 and Pioneer SX-1250

kcdonahue

One Hung Lo Capacitor Sales Rep
Subscriber
I'm in the market for a new audio rack for my main setup. So far I have been unable to source a rack that will fit components that are just over 22 inches. The large majority of racks will fit this size component on their top shelf only and that is where I prefer to place my turntable that just happens to be 22 inches wide...

I really like the the Solid Steel 5.5 but it will only fit the larger component on it's top shelf.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks,

KC
 
Register to hide this ad
Aren't all racks for rack mount gear a standard 19 inches ? I would think that if you're wanting more width than the 19 inch standard, then shelving and not rack-mounting is required.
 
Flexy Rack maybe the way to go

Have you considered building yourself a Flexy Rack? If you are reasonably handy, you can build one to suit your needs fairly cheaply. There is at least one thread on the subject here, if not more. Take a look at the pics of some racks members have built, I think you will be impressed. I know I was. This is only my 2 cents worth, but finding anything to fit vintage audio gear into these days is difficult at best, if not nearly impossible.:yes:
 
I've been walking miles in your shoes. My 21-22" Pioneers and Sansui's won't fit "in" any of my racks. I don't know of any "official" racks that will work, my solution was to have a custom one built.

Check out the thread here that just started about a Sams Club rack. Some ideas are popping up on it that may work for you and don't forget to factor in the depth of the rack you decide on.
 
What is the weight of those units (aprox)? Are they to heavy for the glass shelves of the newer type of T.V. racks
 

Attachments

  • stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I went with this product from VTI. Sansui 9090db fits nicely on the 3rd shelf with turntable on the top. Filled the verticle tubes with sand to help dampen vibrations from wood floor.
 
I had the same problem trying to find racks to fit my McIntosh gear. I had Timber Nation build my racks for me. I am very happy with them. I will buy my next rack from them as well. He built them to the specs I gave him. All solid hard woods. www.timbernation.com
I told him how many inches I wanted between the post. How deep I wanted the shelves. How many inches I wanted between each shelf. And how thick I wanted each shelf.
 
Last edited:
Buy an armoire like this:

DSCF1365a.jpg



$500 on a local CL. The 22" side cabinets are ample for my "standard" sized Sansui components. The center section is 30-32" (I forget), so could easily hold your wider components. Great for storing albums, tapes, crystal, booze, and the WAF is fantastic with the doors closed. :thmbsp:
 
I went with this product from VTI. Sansui 9090db fits nicely on the 3rd shelf with turntable on the top. Filled the verticle tubes with sand to help dampen vibrations from wood floor.
Can I see a pic of your 9090db on it ? Because the dimensions between the poles states 201/2“ and thats not wide enough...
 
You could go with a resin shelving system for garages like what is sold at homedepot or the likes.Theoretically the shelve i have could hold 10 sx1980,s!
 
Not shure which one you bought Artie but mine has a ton of crap on it and doesn't do that and ive had mine 10 plus.
 
Back
Top Bottom