• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for help matching a cartridge to the arm of a Technics SL-D5

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My friend picked up a Technics SL-D5 off craigslist, and it came with a Bang & Olufsen MMC 20CL cartridge. I was immediately concerned this wasn't a good match for the stock Technics arm. I went to the Vinyl engine to check the specs, and there's not much there. Is the MMC 20CL a good match for this arm? If it's not, can you recommend new cartridges that are a good match? He's not an audiophile, so good bang for the buck recommendations are appreciated.

If the MMC 20CL is a good match, is it a good sounding cartridge? Here's the specs from VE.

MMC 20CL.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Ob: Personally I'd rather use the MMC20CL on a lighter arm - and I'd certainly suggest your friend to consider a less delicate cartridge, if he plans to use the the stacking function of the SL-D5. If he doesn't want to spend much, an AT91/AT3601 or AT3600 would probably already do the job, but if he'd prefer to have the possibility of upgrading the cartridge with higher quality, original needles later on, he should rather consider an AT-VM95C or AT-VM95E.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
@lini Thank you for the advice. I assumed it would be a better cartridge on a light arm. He most definitely wants to use the changer feature.
 
I'd install the new AT-VM 95e and this would be superb for the money, perform and track well, and the changer will do fine with it. It's a good match for the Technics SL-D series tonearms whether single play or changers.
 
Back
Top Bottom