• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for meters, visualizers, oscilloscopes, any "flashy" components

I have my vintage amp, but lately I've been needing some completely useless meters/flashy things to add to the system. I don't care if it has a use or not, if it looks cool. LOL!

I know about the Realistic meters, and I've seen a few Kenwood pieces I'd really love to have (KF-8011, KC-6060), but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions of pieces of "fluff" to add.

I'd like to keep it vintage and silver-face (I know about the "Douk Audio" chi-fi stuff on Amazon), and I don't want to switch to an amp/receiver with meters on it, either.
I love the Nixie display on the Lampizator Horizon dac. My High End Audio Engineer is also currently prototyping a similar display for a custom amp he's building.

1704744360819.jpeg
 
I love the Nixie display on the Lampizator Horizon dac. My High End Audio Engineer is also currently prototyping a similar display for a custom amp he's building.

View attachment 3083891
Nixies are cool. I built a VU meter using an old componant timer for the chassis, and a couple bar graph nixie tubes.
 

Attachments

  • 20230323_115701.jpg
    20230323_115701.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230321_134709.jpg
    20230321_134709.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230321_134235.jpg
    20230321_134235.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230321_114327.jpg
    20230321_114327.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230315_100339.jpg
    20230315_100339.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 13
I love the lights, one of my little JDM Mini Stereos has something like 30+ LEDs on the front panel. My favorite EQ is a BSR-EQ3000, not for sonic shaping but for a light on every slider and a big LED display in the middle. I usually just hook it to output and don't really use it except for lights. Sansui put out the highly popular RA-500 Reverb Unit but it's kind of dated and they made it small so it looks goofy with any stacked stereo.

Technics has a unit called the "Space Dimension Controller," there's a slim model and the larger SH-8030 (and maybe more). The lights are changable and look like tiny neon bulbs, they are very bright. Although the display is small, the light show is very hypnotic. Kenwood has a similar unit and maybe the others but outside of Technics, they tend to be rare.

A couple years ago I saw an old 70's set of Soundesign Speakers with lights in the speakers. They were very entry-level design and went with a matching stereo. While cheap looking they were really cool and I could see using them just for the lights around a basement bar area. I think the boombox manufacturer Vela (Discolite) patented lights in speakers, one of the reasons we don't see them in more speaker applications.
 
Not to step on toes or incite violence but I always wondered about gutting a Phase Linear 400 for the faceplate with meters and replacing the guts with a Purifi class D…not that I skills/know how.
 
I agree. In the early 80's RS was selling some decent gear.
I have a SA-2001 80wpc integrated amp. Its the best integrated amp they ever sold. It's well built and well thought out with features you didn't see in most integrated amps. The matching TM-2001 tuner was no slouch either.
The SA-2001, from 1979, was 60 wpc RMS. The tuner was the TM-1001, and was decent because of the features you mention, like defeatable Auto-Magic, selectable bandwidths and multipath meter.
 
The SA-2001, from 1979, was 60 wpc RMS. The tuner was the TM-1001, and was decent because of the features you mention, like defeatable Auto-Magic, selectable bandwidths and multipath meter.
The amp has turn over points for the tone controls and a tone defeat. The loudness circuit works great too. The added gain control under the volume control is nice too. I set it so at full volume it's just shy of distorting.
I only have 2 gripes really. One is I had to remove the faceplate, remove all the screws and nuts securing pots and switches so I could remove the front of the chassis just to get to the meter lamps. Even then, there were even more screws to remove from a cover and lamp board to get to the lamps. They used those rice kernel looking lamps that were soldered in.
I used LED fuse lamps and soldered them in.
It was a lot of work just to get to 2 bulbs.
The other gripe was thst they use 85° caps in the power supply. There is a dropping resistor and hot running voltage regulator with two caps right next to them. Both caps were on there way out. One was bulging, the other was actually burnt on the side. I bent the dropping resistor further away, put a heat sink on the regulator, and used 105° caps.
The amp is built like a tanks, but just as complicated. :biggrin:
 
Not to step on toes or incite violence but I always wondered about gutting a Phase Linear 400 for the faceplate with meters and replacing the guts with a Purifi class D…not that I skills/know how.
I don't see a problam with that. I used a Phase linear model.200 series 2 amp chassis I gutted to make a preamp out of. The amp let loose one day frying my speakers. The only time I ever saw smoke coming from speakers.
 
I have my vintage amp, but lately I've been needing some completely useless meters/flashy things to add to the system. I don't care if it has a use or not, if it looks cool. LOL!

I know about the Realistic meters, and I've seen a few Kenwood pieces I'd really love to have (KF-8011, KC-6060), but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions of pieces of "fluff" to add.

I'd like to keep it vintage and silver-face (I know about the "Douk Audio" chi-fi stuff on Amazon), and I don't want to switch to an amp/receiver with meters on it, either.
American DJ has a very nice rack mountable led peak meter for around $80 . Nice metal case looks great ! run it out of one of my tape outs to get the full effect !
 
3 sets of Christmas on a color organ should do the trick for you, you could even put
those on the Christmas tree next year.
 
If you do a Google/Bing search for "LED audio lights", you'll get all kinds of cool & fun options. Many are actually calibratable to be somewhat useful.
 
I had forgotten I'd bought a laser light show unit a few years ago as it's mounted on the ceiling in one corner of the room. It has an endless display of room filling patterns with a microphone that can go to the beat of the music. Not recommended as it gets old quickly. The most fun I had with it was watching the cat get dazzled by it and chase a few dots around.
 
Back
Top Bottom