• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for some advice on small speakers

teisco

Well-Known Member
Decided to go all CD and down sizing a bit and looking for advice/opinions on small book shelf or similar sized speakers.
I am looking for the perfect CD tweeter and found that most I have tried seem to highlight the crispy CD highs. I want smooth, easy on the ears highs in a small speaker. My larger Carver Amazing speakers with the full length ribbon do this quite well but they do not fit into my new, smaller, system.

I have hear great things about the folded ribbon tweeters used in some speakers and I am leaning in that direction (Martin Logan Motion 15).

Ideas?
 
Register to hide this ad
For starters, I think stating a budget would really help here.

I think you'll have no shortage of options. I have not heard many small speakers, but I would say both KEF 103.2 and KEF LS50 would fit the bill. These are the small speakers that I have owned. Both are crisp enough, but there are some differences.

103.2 - more laid-back, British sound. Larger. Good bass, good timbre of instruments.

LS50 - more modern sound, crisper, more extended highs, smaller.

These are the only two I have heard, but I could tell you some brands (if not specific models) that I've also been interested in...Harbeth, ATC, Spendor, Scansonic MB-1, LS3/5A...this is just to name a few...I feel like there are a lot of options in this category.

I think the Scansonic MB-1 is the only one i mentioned above that has a ribbon tweeter. Others that have a ribbon tweeter that I know of are Legacy brand speakers, Ascend, Philharmonic, Golden Ear...

I too like ribbons. I had a large ribbon in my Apogee Centaur speakers and the sound can be addicting. Some say it's "pleasant distortion" (but still distortion), but I love ribbons. I added Townshend Audio Maximum super tweeters (ribbon super tweeters) to my KEF 107's. That could be another option, if you get speakers with regular dome tweeters, you can always "add on" a ribbon later if you want...it's plug and play, super easy.

http://www.townshendaudio.com/supertweeters/

I'm sure you will get many more options/opinions in this category.
 
Thanks, I do love those ribbons from way back when I had my Maggies to my recent Carver Amazing's. I was thinking of getting the raw, smaller ribbons from some Carvers and making a speaker. Tubes on the ribbon and SS on the bottom. (there was a guy on Ebay making these smaller ribbons at one time).

I like your idea of getting a nice speaker and then changing out the tweeter for a small ribbon.

As for budget...not much or I would already have bought the Martin Logan's.
 
For inexpensive options, the Emotiva B1 might fit the bill. $299/pair.

https://emotiva.com/collections/airmotiv

Maybe the Mini Philharmonitor @ $695/pair

http://philharmonicaudio.com/

Edit - I guess these - at least the Philharmonic - cost more than the Martin Logan.

With a budget that low, yeah you may have to replace the tweeter on a conventional speaker with a ribbon, if you're set on ribbons. Or give up the "ribbon" idea. So I take it your budget is less than $400/pair?
 
I use a set of NHT SuperZero's for my office system that I bought for $8 at a Goodwill. I coupled them with a small subwoofer since they have no bass and it's great.

What the SuperZeros do is pretty good. I think the original Stereophile review raved on comparing them to the smallest Harbeth model [to lazy to look it up]. While I'm not sure about that my SuperZeros have me wanting to get the SuperOnes or SuperTwos. NHT really impresses.
 
For inexpensive options, the Emotiva B1 might fit the bill. $299/pair.

https://emotiva.com/collections/airmotiv

Maybe the Mini Philharmonitor @ $695/pair

http://philharmonicaudio.com/

Edit - I guess these - at least the Philharmonic - cost more than the Martin Logan.

With a budget that low, yeah you may have to replace the tweeter on a conventional speaker with a ribbon, if you're set on ribbons. Or give up the "ribbon" idea. So I take it your budget is less than $400/pair?

Thanks, my budget changes as things I have for sale finalize. Great links and much food for thought, thanks.
 
There are some Martin Logan Motion 15 Bookshelf speakers for sale in Bartertown.

-Dave
 
I use a set of NHT SuperZero's for my office system that I bought for $8 at a Goodwill. I coupled them with a small subwoofer since they have no bass and it's great.
I'm gonna back this up. Super Zero's are really great even without a sub. Super One's are said to be even better cause they bring just enough bass oomph to make them sound full range, but i've never heard them.
 
I checked on most of the speakers listed here and they all are a bit inefficient for my tube amp...the ML Motion 15 are at 92 db sensitivity while the Philharmonic (and most of the other small speakers) are only 85db.
 
JBL Studio 230s are on sale on their site for $300. I have them and they are awesome. 6 ohm impedance. Horn loaded with 6 1/2" woofer (port in the rear).
 
What the SuperZeros do is pretty good. I think the original Stereophile review raved on comparing them to the smallest Harbeth model [to lazy to look it up]. While I'm not sure about that my SuperZeros have me wanting to get the SuperOnes or SuperTwos. NHT really impresses.

I ran Super Zeros on my desk at work for a few years, and swapped them out about a year ago for the SuperOnes. I sort of prefer the Zeros in my setup, but both benefit greatly with a subwoofer.

Other small speakers I own and like are the JBL LSR305 and LSR308. They're a little more difficult to integrate into an existing system though, and their aesthetics aren't as pleasing.
 
I love the Kef q10s I picked up at Goodwill for $15. My ST-70 has plenty of oomph in my 12x13 room. The pair of Q acoustics 3020s can get a little sizzly in comparison. I also have a pair of Ruark Etudes but they are a little bass shy. I have some Polks and they can get sizzly as well. If I were to buy new I would buy the new Kef Q350s. I am a sucker for the warmth the Brits design into their speakers. Just my 2 cents.
 
I'm gonna back this up. Super Zero's are really great even without a sub. Super One's are said to be even better cause they bring just enough bass oomph to make them sound full range, but i've never heard them.

Especially the current version, which is what I have in my system. The small NHT speakers require a sub that's musical and fast. I wish I have the money for REL sub.

I heard the NHT SuperZero's without any sub, powered by a Marantz all-in-one compact system, at NHT's factory showroom. The system was in an open area, and even without a sub, one can hear how special the SuperZero's are.
 
Back
Top Bottom