• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for some speaker advice

luckychuck

New Member
I recently inherited a Marantz 2330BD and wanted to get a reasonable but lowish cost setup.

I am between a second hand JBL S38 II that I have to pay $100 shipping on and a newer pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 though I am still looking at the newer speakers and haven't fully settled. I don't really have the opportunity to listen to any of them.

Other than the direct comparison here I am still unsure on the used vs new for my situation. I don't really have the experience to find deals on the used market otherwise I think I would go that way.

I was looking at a Fluance RT82 and a wiim mini as inputs.
 
Register to hide this ad
The difference will be New Elac's with little to no resale,
or Better quality Jbl's that should always have similar resale to what you paid.
You won't get the shipping cost back come resale time.
Both pair will need a Sub to fill out the bottom.
 
The one advantage of the Elacs, is that if you don't like them, you can return them.

Once you buy the JBLs, you're stuck with them, if you don't like them.

Also, be aware- if something goes wrong with the JBL S38 IIs- parts are ABSOLUTELY NOT AVAILABLE anymore. Not since Samsung bought JBL. It's not like the older JBLs that are covered by many aftermarket parts suppliers- there's NOTHING available to fix those. OTOH, Elac should support their products, from what I've seen.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I see your new here so welcome aboard and here's hoping you enjoy your time here at AK

From your introduction post

.. I inherited my grandparents Marantz 2330BD. (It sat in my closet for 7 years before I thought to check it out. Also I didn't have space to have a setup until now.) Its old and I'm going to a local store (Sound Idea) to get it checked out. I'll be asking for some recommendations for a decent turntable / speakers to pair with this machine whilst trying not to spend tooo much money.

If it were me I would focus on this aspect financially first, here's hoping your local shop gives the unit a thorough going over and replaces/restores anything that is worn out, susceptible to going bad etc then once that and it's cost is out of the way focus on speakers.

I recently inherited a Marantz 2330BD and wanted to get a reasonable but lowish cost setup.

I am between a second hand JBL S38 II that I have to pay $100 shipping on and a newer pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 though I am still looking at the newer speakers and haven't fully settled. I don't really have the opportunity to listen to any of them.

While I know nothing of either speakers you mentioned I concur with the first sentence in post #3 as speakers are subjective, they might be a good deal and within your budget but that doesn't mean you'll like how they'll sound to you.


Other than the direct comparison here I am still unsure on the used vs new for my situation. I don't really have the experience to find deals on the used market otherwise I think I would go that way.

In the meantime keep an eye open on your local marketplaces such as CL, OfferUp, FB Marketplace and look for well known generally respected brands such as Polk Audio, ADS, AR, KLH to name but a few.

If you see something that piques your interest you can always create a thread in D&S* and folks will be more then happy to assist in letting you know if the asking price is a good deal or not.

* http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/dollars-and-sense.128/
 
You can't go wrong with any model from the manufacturers below:
Celestion, B&W, ADS (check the surrounds to make sure they are not rotted), Polk Monitor 10, DCM Timeframe, DCM Time Windows.
 
At $240/pair for brand new speakers, I'd just order the ELACs and try them in your system. Return them if you don't like them. Those speakers receive positive reviews and are very low cost in today's audio world. Buying brand new bookshelf speakers is the easiest way to make an educated decision on speakers.

 
Back
Top Bottom