• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for somebody that can possibly replace the shaft on volume/balance pot for Yamaha CA810

Brian Mosey

New Member
looking for somebody that could replace the shift on a volume pot for a ca810, I've been told that this is possible to do, can anybody help me lol? The amp holds a lot of sentimental value to me, thanks in advance everybody!!!!
 
Register to hide this ad
The shaft is sheared off , I was told that the shaft can be replaced if I can find a shaft of the same size
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20200418-122703_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200418-122703_Messages.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 30
Well yes it probably could, but not without finding a similar pot, in which case you might as well replace the pot itself. Being a 4-gang pot (of very specific characteristics) makes it somewhat rare. (Dual-concentric left and right is more common, obviously requiring only a 2-gang pot.)

It looks like the mounting plate is bent too, so there's a bit of work involved. But it absolutely can be done.

I'd start by removing the pot from the board, then dismantling [the pot] as much as you can. Then put up a picture showing the dimensions of the various parts.

If you're happy to not have a balance control (i.e replace it with fixed resistors) then it makes life a little easier.

Rich
 
imagejpeg_2.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg
Well yes it probably could, but not without finding a similar pot, in which case you might as well replace the pot itself. Being a 4-gang pot (of very specific characteristics) makes it somewhat rare. (Dual-concentric left and right is more common, obviously requiring only a 2-gang pot.)

It looks like the mounting plate is bent too, so there's a bit of work involved. But it absolutely can be done.

I'd start by removing the pot from the board, then dismantling [the pot] as much as you can. Then put up a picture showing the dimensions of the various parts.

If you're happy to not have a balance control (i.e replace it with fixed resistors) then it makes life a little easier.

Rich
 
I have the unit at a buddy house that fixes most my gear, and he's not sure if he's gonna be able to do the required work, I'm also waiting on a reply from a buddy in AZ to see if he has a shaft to replace the broken 1, but here's a few pics on a micrometer from my buddy that has it
 
OK, that's good, but we also need to see the markings on each section of the pot, and, if possible, for it to be dismantled so that we can see the shaft and how it interlocks with the rear two sections. (But if he can get that far, it should be pretty simple to make one I'd hope! The rearmost tabs are already bent, so it looks as if an attempt has been made.)

Otherwise try Organ Donor Parts.

I however would be up for the challenge of fabricating a new shaft. (And straightening the brass balance sleeve.)

Rich
 
OK ill find out if he wants to just let you rebuild it or how he wants to handle it,, also what do you think it would cost to repair it if you do end up doing it?
 
Brian,

What I actually meant was: If I were you I'd be up for the challenge of fabricating a new shaft! :) I mean, if you were really stuck I'd say send it to me, but that seems a bit crazy given that I'm in the UK, and I'm sure you have a light precision engineering company / fabricator near to you. Maybe find some old guy, perhaps a modelmaker, who does stuff like that in his garage or basement. (But unless he was experienced in the construction of pots, it'd be better for you to do the dismantling.)

I was tempted to suggest 3D printing, but I'm not sure the product would be strong enough.

The link from marvelus10 is a revelation. I would recommend that you follow that up!

(ODP appear only to sell turntable parts; my bad. But you could try Oak Tree Vintage....)

Good luck,

Rich
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom