• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking to buy a vintage receiver - several choices

Which Receiver?


  • Total voters
    26
Without much experience with any of them to offer a sonic review....
1) STA-95 I've always loved the dark metal look and slanted meter display.
2) SA-500 Power meters, nice layout, and that era Technics had some great specs
3) DA-R8 Well it's just so darn cute!

That's pretty much my selection too. I've had all 3 of the above, and still have the STA-95.

I love the Mitsu but the Darlington power packs were problematic. The SA-500 was chopped because I have too much gear and something had to go.

I had that Sherwood 7100a too I think but it had a bad power switch built into the volume control. When that failed it was kaput. The flakey Pioneer would drive me nuts.
 
These are all entry-level receivers, with the exception of the Technics and possibly the Realistic 95. I think the Technics is the only one I'd consider buying. You might also want to look at JVC, they made a lot of good stuff back in the silver era, and they generally fly under the radar.
I would agree with this statement. At 55wpc and 0.04% total harmonic distortion the Technics is generally considered to be on a level with a Pioneer SX-750.
(not trying to start any wars with that statement)

I am a little biased as I own an SA-500. I've had it for about a year now and it's been a rock solid performer and a joy to own.
001.jpg


You have to love the slide off top on the Technics which allows easy access to most of the pots and the three bayonet bulbs that light both the dial and the analog meters.
021-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Have you thought of the Yamaha CR series. Sweet sounding, good looking and built like tanks.

Don't get me wrong--I have two of the largest Yammie CR-series receivers (a 2020 and a 3020), but most of the CR-series have "known issues" that need to be addressed for long-term reliability, and their prices are climbing pretty rapidly. Love the sound, but make sure you address the Service Bulletins and thoroughly check for "issues".
 
Although prices are starting to climb, the Realistic and MCS (JC Penny) receivers can be great values, still. A lot of the MCS series receivers and integrateds were NEC builds--rebadged for the US/NA market.
 
Back
Top Bottom