• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Loopy's first refoam Boston Acoustics A70

Loop2kil

Active Member
Definitely not perfect, didn't realize when I was pushing down on the outer lip that I had so much glue on my fingers and now it's dried. I will try a damp cloth later and see if I can clean it up a bit. Functionally though I think it turned out well since the woofers sound nice a smooth.

Now for the bad part:

The speaker on the left sounds muddy as in very little tweeter sound. The speakers are 32 years old so could a recap of the crossover fix it or should I just try and get another tweeter?
 

Attachments

  • a70 refoam.jpg
    a70 refoam.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 45
Register to hide this ad
Check the tweeter with an ohm meter and see if you get the specified ohms. If you get 0 it's probably a goner. I've had luck fixing tweets though so all may not be lost.

Second check to see if any of the components in the crossover are cooked.

Good luck.

Eric
 
Still learning how to use my multimeter but if i did things according to the manual, it measured 3.5 ohms...visual inspection by a noobs eyes did not see anything to be fried on the crossover.
 
Still learning how to use my multimeter but if i did things according to the manual, it measured 3.5 ohms...visual inspection by a noobs eyes did not see anything to be fried on the crossover.

I'm having the same problem with my Celestion Ditton 44's right now. If the drivers measure OK it's either a dirty connection to the speaker itself, or the crossover. I've got capacitors on order to fix that issue, because old speakers will have failing capacitors that fall out of spec if something is amiss. The crossovers look very clean.

Do the tweeters play at least something? Like, is it zero sound or just too faint? If there's nothing I'd think something else is wrong.
 
You have a very early pair with the SEAS tweeters-nice speakers. I have a pair just like them. Try switching the tweeters to the other cabinets and see if the problem is the tweeter or the wiring. Could be as simple as a poor connection or a bad capacitor.
 
I'm having the same problem with my Celestion Ditton 44's right now. If the drivers measure OK it's either a dirty connection to the speaker itself, or the crossover. I've got capacitors on order to fix that issue, because old speakers will have failing capacitors that fall out of spec if something is amiss. The crossovers look very clean.

Do the tweeters play at least something? Like, is it zero sound or just too faint? If there's nothing I'd think something else is wrong.

Yes there is some sound coming through just barely audible.

I feel dumb that I didn't think of switching tweeters...d'oh!! I will try that later when I get home.

The speaker that actually works right sounds really nice...not bad for the cost of new surrounds....assuming I can get my other one working.
 
If you're getting sound from the tweeter, it's not blown. Either the crossover needs to be rebuilt, or you have some corroded contacts/wires somewhere in the signal path.
 
I'd have to take a look at the kits in question. Generally I just look at the crossover and order the parts from some place like Parts Express. Lots of threads around here about crossover rebuilds if you want to build knowledge.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to swap the tweeters just to make sure there isn't something weird going on, but if the coil isn't blown, odds are the tweeter is working fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom