• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lorenz S 1288 efficiency

Patrick620

Audio Enthusiast
I just acquired a very nice pair. I have the ones with only the whizzer cone and not the 1288 II with the tweeter bar. I have seen the old ad but it does not mention the efficiency/sensitivity. Does anyone have a good guess or maybe measured them with a dB meter? Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
They're rare enough where you should be the one to document it here for posterity. Pics, gutshots, dimensions, etc all welcome.
Did you read and understand my post, sir? If I had the info that I am looking for I would not have created the op. I can not "document for posterity" on here when I do not have the info that I seek. Many pics can easily be found with a google search.
 
Last edited:
Moving right along. The reason I asked about the speaker specs is because I am about to finish up a Bottlehead Stereomoure II build for a good friend and would like to have all the info I can gather for his complete set up and decide if the speakers are going to make him happy. Obvious why I am wondering about the speaker sensitivity for a SE stereo 2A3 amp. I have already built him a bottlehead preamp and have vintage cabs. I will get pics asap.
 
No id of any kind on the cabs that I can see and I looked everywhere top to bottom inside and out. Some sharpie (does not appear to be grease pencil but maybe it is) on the top back edge from the previous owner maybe? II L and II R. The cabs are identical so left and right? No clue. They do not look home built to me unless the builder was a badass. The other driver is the same as one pictured. My friend had these speakers in storage for years unknown to me just yet. He just dropped them off yesterday and left on vacation.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0004.JPG
    DSCN0004.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
No id of any kind on the cabs that I can see and I looked everywhere. Some sharpie (does not appear to be grease pencil but maybe it is) on the top back edge from the previous owner maybe? II L and II R. The cabs are identical so left and right? No clue. They do not look home built to me unless the builder was a badass. The other driver is the same as one pictured. My friend had these speakers in storage for years unknown to me just yet. He just dropped them off yesterday and left on vacation.
Now to throw in another question, does anyone recognize these cabinet builds? I would guess late 50's early 60's looking at the style, materials, hardware etc. The drivers and cabs were acquired separately at different local sales a few years apart. I had some Tannoy reds mounted in similar cabs with no id that weighed about 100# each total w/speaker and crossover. I'd say these are about half that. These cabs are very very tight and solid.
 
Last edited:
When you were asked a perfectly reasonable question, you dumped all over the poster (though you did say 'Sir'). You asked about the efficiency of the Lorenz driver, someone responded with the suggestion that you were in a good position to measure it ,and gave suggestions about how to do it, and mentioned that it might be helpful for you to do so, since others might benefit. Your response - 'Dude, what is your problem?'.
Lorenz hasn't been around for a very long time, long enough that it may be hard to find specs, if they were ever available. And efficiency is a moveable target - depending on frequency, and depending on enclosure, the measured efficiency can vary significantly. A horn speaker and an open baffle will give give different results with the same driver, as will any measurement depending on what frequency you are measuring at. So the quick answer you want may not be available anywhere.
You are as capable of googling as anyone else, and if you can't find it, why do you think we can? And if you can't be bothered to look, why do you think we should be? And if you are going to be so unpleasant about it, why do you think anyone will be motivated to help with other questions?
 
I don't have a sensitivity number for you, but here is something to consider. The Dynaco ST-70 came out in 1959 and reportedly was capable of 35 watts/channel. The Leak Stereo 20 came out about the same time and was capable of 20 watts/channel. So, higher power output push pull tube amps were just becoming available when this driver was being sold. Before that I think most tube amps put out less than 10 watts/channel. So, there is a good chance your Lorenz driver is pretty high sensitivity (just a guess on my part though). The S-1288 was rated for 30 watts peak, which reinforces the idea it probably has pretty high sensitivity.

Screenshot 2025-03-12 at 7.31.45 PM.png
 
I don't have a sensitivity number for you, but here is something to consider. The Dynaco ST-70 came out in 1959 and reportedly was capable of 35 watts/channel. The Leak Stereo 20 came out about the same time and was capable of 20 watts/channel. So, higher power output push pull tube amps were just becoming available when this driver was being sold. Before that I think most tube amps put out less than 10 watts/channel. So, there is a good chance your Lorenz driver is pretty high sensitivity (just a guess on my part though). The S-1288 was rated for 30 watts peak, which reinforces the idea it probably has pretty high sensitivity.

View attachment 3451948
 
Thanks for being nice and chiming in, bro. I remember your profile image from way back. I was guessing in the low 90 dB range anyway. The specs on paper do not seem to exist. Nice to see an OG member chime in. Thanks, bro. Notice I did not call you "sir", lol. ;)
 
Last edited:
Thanks for being nice and chiming in, bro. I remember your profile image from way back. I was guessing in the low 90 dB range anyway. The specs on paper do not seem to exist. Nice to see an OG member chime in. Thanks, bro. Notice I did not call you "sir", lol. ;)
The high frequency response is a mute point for me at my age. I can still feel the bass from my D-10 Cerwin Vegas. They get my bowels moving. Twat did you say? I cunp hear you. I have an ear infrucktion
 
These very sensative flagship woofers with the whizzer are in the 99 per watt range built for tube full range wide open. I have a nice set with bracket mounted bilateral LPH-65 tweeters. Fun fact the great BBC studios used Lorenze for live recordings. 'super rare doped lifetime german goop, they smash in the right box.
 
Patrick620: Rereading my post, I realize that I did the same thing I accused you of, which is being uncivil. Our posts don't always read the way we wrote them to sound, and I was harsher than I meant to be. My apologies for that.
 
Patrick620: Rereading my post, I realize that I did the same thing I accused you of, which is being uncivil. Our posts don't always read the way we wrote them to sound, and I was harsher than I meant to be. My apologies for that.
No offense taken. The written or texted word is often misconstrued. My apologies as well. Rock on :)
 
Back
Top Bottom