• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

LOT of older audiophile gear, what should I get? How much to offer? (PICS)

I would try without heat first, only for fear of being too aggressive and taking the laminate with it.

OOOO GOOD POINT. lol...that was definitely an oversight, thank you!

Just a comment about the seller saying they aren't in a hurry or things aren't going anywhere.....they probably failed to mention how easily they could change that tune. If you have the desire and some coin, I suggest you strike while the discussion is fresh.

Indeed! I have been ruminating on this for a few weeks and that's part of why I made the thread, I was getting anxious the deal may change/expire. If I don't figure it out someone else might do so first! I've tentatively arranged to go see the stuff in a couple weeks, I will offer asap.

I'd want one of those SOTAs the most.

They were commonly paired with Sumiko MMT tonearms when they were new.
Modern equivalent is now sold by Jelco (who actually made the MMT)

Great info, thank you! Did I get the names right with the vacuum bit? Do you know if that vac pump was also the power source? I have no idea how reliable/expensive to repair it might be but I hope it all works! I can't tell for sure but I see something sticking up where the tonearm should be so the vacuum model may still have the tonearm.
 
Last edited:
The Sota Star does have the vacuum pump and power supply contained in the one box shown. You should find out how to properly transport the Sota tables if you do get them.
Thank you, I wonder if there's an easy way to check it for existing damage due to transport. Given the situation I doubt it was secured and packed properly for it's last transport. I'll see what I can find about checking the motor/drive and suspension system for damage, and properly securing the motor/platter/tonearm.. Hopefully the tonearm wasn't swinging around! Thanks!
 
I agree that it is easy, it just needs to be done or damage to the sapphire thrust bearing could result.

Yeesh, I'm not even sure how to check for damage..I checked with the seller and it was in fact transported from it's original home, so probably without securing anything. Hopefully it's fine. If I can't find info online I'll call Sota for info on anything I can check with my own eyes.
 
You might be able to remove the belt and spin the platter. With your ear up close to the platter, you might be able to hear any noise caused by a busted thrust plate.
 
Yeesh, I'm not even sure how to check for damage..I checked with the seller and it was in fact transported from it's original home, so probably without securing anything. Hopefully it's fine. If I can't find info online I'll call Sota for info on anything I can check with my own eyes.

To me, this is the reason the price of the equipment should be where I have suggested in previous posting. You don't know what you are getting and you are taking a chance. Offer accordingly. Once you buy it is your baby. If things are good, good for you. If they aren't, at least you haven't overpaid.
 
Thank you! If I can clean my storage up a bit, the Snells may be worth a refinish and refurb too. Thankfully I'm in no rush here and neither are they, so this somewhat rare opportunity can be postponed until I make space/time.

I echo what many have already stated. This is an opportunity to bring your system up to a level you never imagined for very reasonable money. As well, it has been my experience that deals like this don't last forever. A family member gets ticked off because the gear is still hanging around, a sudden need for cash, etc. Just saying, these kinds of deals don't last for long. If it were me, I would buy it all. Definitely, the two SOTAs! Even large speakers can sell if they are desirable enough. The Snells once refurbished could be something special, only you won't know until you try them.

Good luck! I'll be watching this thread!
 
Offer 500 bucks, tell them its a risk as its all untested and some bits are missing. They will either say hell yes or you realise they want silly money. That magnum tuner is a holy grail of tuners if im not mistaken, worth stupid money
 
Back
Top Bottom