• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Low Budget Shootout: Marantz vs Integra

telemike

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've picked up two low budget modern receivers off eBay for under $100 each.

In this corner:

Integra DTM-5.3 circa 2005ish

SPECIFICATIONS
AMPLIFIER SECTION
Continous average power output (FTC): 100 W per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms, both channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion.

Dynamic power output:
2 x 170 Watts at 2 ohms
2 x 135 Watts at 4 ohms
2 x 140 Watts at 8 ohms

Total harmonic distortion: 0.08% at rated power

Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 30 kHz; ±1 dB
Signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB (IHF A. 0.5 V input)
IM Distortion: 0.08% at rated power
Damping Factor: 60 at 8 ohms
Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8" x 5-7/8" x 13-7/16"
435 x 150 x 341 mm
Weight: 19.8 lbs. (9.0 kg)

In the other corner:

Marantz SR4021 circa 2009

AUDIO SECTION
80 wpc 20hz - 20khz 8 ohm
100 wpc 20hz - 20khz 6 ohm
THD (0Hz - 20kHz, 8 ohm.) < 0.08%
Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB)
S/N Ratio

Integra has 2x 10,000uf main caps, Marantz has 2x 8,200 uf main caps.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
5120fbb31006481e3f8b63cb2264d92c.jpg

41fe69a7a0c1aab5161d3f1d34a2f74c.jpg

f422d177a4a3168220806737092bca54.jpg

393bce18bff0df73eb8def20f086815a.jpg

5b092b877afbfacb39ede295b833a791.jpg

a3db2761dc50237ffa6ac319473a3bfa.jpg

57b6d4376147c600953baaeb1f1004f1.jpg


Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
 
In my opinion:

Marantz is sexier. Has nicer aluminum faceplate and metal knobs. Integra does have aluminum front, just not as nice. The volume knob on Integra is metal, the other knobs are plastic.

Marantz uses encoders to adjust settings. Integra has a motor driven volume pot and regular pots for balance, bass and treble. Integra does not display volume level and the notch on the knob is hard to see. Both had bypass buttons to direct past the tone stack and balance.

Integra seems to have a slightly better build inside with a better heat sink and board layout.

Marantz does have pre/main jumpers. Integra only has pre-out for Zone2.

Marantz exterior build quality feels better to me.
 
Sound:

Both seem to have about the same bass impact. I "think" the Marantz has a more open high end, a little more sparkle. Soundstage seems to be a bit deeper and wider with the Marantz. Both are very close though.

Now, which to keep short term until I decide on something else?
 
Thoughts?

Wonder how the Yamaha A-S500 sounds compared to these?


Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk
 
Although the Integra has a beefier power amp section, I am going to keep the Marantz for now. The phono preamp has less noise and I like the feel and looks better.

if I can give up the convenience of a remote (having remote volume is handy with watching TV and movies), I may go with a restored vintage piece from Barter Town or a Sony TA-F444ES integrated to match my Sony DVP-S7700 dvd/cd player with copper chassis.
 
Thanks for sharing your opinion on these two.

I used to be a black plastic snob, but after owning a H/K AVR and hearing how good these things can sound, I'm convinced some of the best deals in hifi right now are on these types of receivers.
 
At least with the Marantz, the knobs are Aluminum shells over plastic and have a good feel to them. Firm and nice to the touch. The Integra volume knob doesn't feel as nice.
 
Interesting post. Have an Integra system for the garage: 5.3, EQ35 and 909 CD changer. Powers deck speakers as well, and has been bullet-proof for 10 years.
(had to chase a cold solder joint on the EQ, no problems since).

Thought about replacing the 5.3, but why?

Adding a GW small Energy sub really helped the little JBLs in the bass department. A real pleasure when wrenching on the LBCs.

Amazing the nice receivers passing through GW right now...
 
The Marantz SR4021 is the predecessor to the current SR4023 which goes for $499 and looking at service schmatics there's not much difference. The older SR4320 is also based on the same circuits.
 
Shiver me timbers. Have a Marantz PM7001 on the way. Just sold Marantz SR4021 on BT.

Listening to Integra now. Has a solid sound. Power amp holds up well at loud volumes. Doesn't run hot either. I do like the sub out option. Gold plated jacks too which may be an Integra thing.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
 
This Integra is growing on me. Drives my Polks well. Phono sounds good. Has a solid bass response. I'll post it in BT after my Marantz gets here. Would make a great starter receiver.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
 
Just wanted to add to this old topic... I've got an Integra DTM 5.3 as well. I have to say, it's a terrific budget receiver. I bought mine for $75 locally, in practically new condition with remote. It replaced an old TX-860 I was using in a spare room. Then when I had an issue with one of my other preamps, I swapped this one in to serve temp duty and couldn't help but notice how well it held up. I recently bought a gently used DTR 20.4 for my mother for only $80, and got the seller to throw in an excellent condition KEF HTF7003 sound bar (integrated surround sound) for only $85... hooked that up plus a set of old Mission speakers to round it out and she was floored at the sound. Integra makes such solid amplification gear -- hard to go wrong with it.
 
Back in the later 90's I bought a KLH receiver for $100 at Best Buy for my warehouse. Still have it. It's 100 wpc I believe, built well and has better stereo sound than new HT receivers costing $1000. Go figure?

4384598_ra.jpg;maxHeight=500;maxWidth=500
 
I get pallet loads of old AVR.
All brands.
Just about everything before HDMI works well.
Onkyo HDMI units are almost alway DOA.

I test them, try to flip the working ones, scrap the broken ones.

While testing them, some seem pretty impressive sound wise. Sony in all sizes seem nice. The few working Marantz I get are fine too. I see a lot of nice Yamaha and they seem to be totally under loved. They are really nice units. Pioneer made some nice stuff too.

I won’t say the later AVR will replace old analog vintage 60s and 70s gear for me, but for home theater use and newer music tastes, they are much better than I thought. There are some BPC, but a lot of what I see is retired better stuff.

Some of the real early AVR, when they first crossed over to some simple surround are really built well. Those I would expect to be lousy home theater choices today but as stereos, they are pretty darn good. They are still mostly analog and old school amp and controls.

Just putting out my impression that there are some decent units from the AVR time. They are really cheap and some are quite fancy as far as features.

Scrapping the junkers shows me how they are built. The high end models of later years are quite complicated and I wouldn’t recommend considering them as an investment. There is no way you could ever fix one except the buy another and swap boards. Even then, taking one apart and putting it back together would be a nightmare.

The larger units do have some impressive power supplies.

One key point I’ve found is that the optical input is excellent for home theater and CD. The nice DVD players I get and play with, I use optical connection and the AVR decoders do a nice job of making the movie night fun. My bet is most of these never saw optical inputs before I got them.
 
Back
Top Bottom