• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Low power on left channel

Cobbler

New Member
I have a Macintosh C28 pre amp and a Macintosh mc2300 power amp, I am getting hardly any power out of the left channel ( have to crank power up on left channel of power amp to even get the left meter to move any thoughts where to start? would problem be in the pre amp or power amp?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Macintosh C28 pre amp and a Macintosh mc2300 power amp, I am getting hardly any power out of the left channel ( have to crank power up on left channel of power amp to even get the left meter to move any thoughts where to start? would problem be in the pre amp or power amp?
Switch the RCA's around to see if the problem jumps to the other channel.
 
You could take line source and go straight in 2300 ( turn gain down all the way first). Then play using gain controls on 2300. If they track evenly, it's the pre. If not it's the 2300. 2300s are pretty bullet proof . Could be something as simple as dirty control , switch connection. Early 2300s used to burn up driver boards. I don't think that'd cause your issue though.
 
gain or power, different things. Agree on switching the cables or bypassing the pre to figure out where the issue is first though, no point in chasing problems in the wrong unit.

I had something with gain issues and it turned out to be a dud cap causing excessive feedback in the power amp on one channel. It would make full output but needed like 5x the signal that it should have needed. Easy fix once I finally figured it out. I've run into that problem a couple of times since too.
 
Hey Fellas, what I found out with your help was by swapping cables was that by taking the equalizer completely out of the loop and going straight from pre-amp to power amp the problem went away. So evidently my equalizer is on the Fritz.
Thanks for all the help.
 
Might try cleaning all the controls and sliders on the equalizer and retesting if you'd like to keep the EQ, I've seen dirty controls cause one channel to be quieter, or not work at all
 
have also run into problems with tape loop switches and bypass switches in the EQ, depending on exactly what you've got and how its hooked up. Wouldn't rule out a bum cable either.
 
Back
Top Bottom