• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Low Power Vintage Rotel System Seeks Speakers and Advice

Jefferson790

New Member
Hi all. Thanks for the wisdom in advance.

I was wondering if someone could make a suggestion on my office $1000 vintage system build. I have purchased a Rotel RA-112 Integrated amp (minimum spec is 5.5 Watts into 8 Ohms in stereo) and a Rotel RP-1100Q turntable for my build. I have spent $250 of the $1000 so far. To fill out the $1000, I would like to buy speaker cables, speakers, and a DAC with interconnects. My go to inexpensive DAC is a Schiit Modi 2 for $100 with Signal Cable Analog One interconnects for $36. This would put my total spend so far at $400. This leaves about $600 for speakers (with stands if bookshelf) and speaker cables. If I stay with signal cables, their Ultra Speaker Cables will shave another $110 off of the speaker budget and leave me with around $500. I would like new, but would be open to used if there were some on craigslist locally in Milwaukee or on eBay.

I have no experience with low power gear, but I think the usually suspects are the Omega Super 3i at $700 (will need stands) or something like the Tekton Design Lore Reference for $750 (floor standing). Is there anything new in the sub $500 range that will shine with this type of power, or anything anyone sees in my local market that is worth looking at with the type of power I am discussing? I have never owned vintage speakers and the maintenance and degradation scare me a little. If it should just break the bank and buy one of those, then I guess that is the answer.
 
Register to hide this ad
My opinion - skip the $$$ cables and put your budget where it will make the biggest impact by far - some very efficient speakers. Considering the mini-power you have chosen to work with, efficient speakers are of Paramount concern now.

GeeDeeEmm
 
^ For what it's worth, I agree with the above.

Another $150 in your speaker budget will make a bigger difference than cables. If you are planning on upgrading speakers later and are trying to "futureproof" your cables, that's a different story.

There are an overwhelming number of speakers on the market at your price range, I think it would take a lot of careful Googling to narrow down your search to the winners.

Generally, only very large speakers with 15" woofers will be efficient enough and have enough bass to match well with extremely low-powered amplifiers. The speakers that are small enough for an office and still have decent bass tend to be inefficient due to higher internal pressure and woofer excursion - therefore, small systems paradoxically require higher powered amplifiers, I prefer at least 100wpc of clean, solid state power. There are exceptions but in general these are the tradeoffs between size and efficiency. Probably not what you want to hear having just bought the amplifier - and I don't know how big your room is - but in general you will be sacrificing some bass to run small speakers on such a small amplifier. Could be okay if you only listen to acoustic music - and of course the midrange and treble will be unaffected.

EDIT: You've obviously done some research, I'm intrigued by the Omega Super 3i's you mentioned in your post. Single driver, very efficient, highly rated. If you could find a way to combine them with a powered subwoofer, I think you'd have a very competent, if unconventional, system!
 
Last edited:
" If you could find a way to combine them with a powered subwoofer, I think you'd have a very competent, if unconventional, system!" - Corbin


I concur!

GeeDeeEmm

super3icherry1.jpeg


super34.gif
 
Back
Top Bottom