• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Low volume after cleaning

jmitchnh

Active Member
Hey everyone,

I recently picked-up a beautiful KR6600 in beautiful condition (except that someone stole all the knobs) at a local GW. Brought it home, powered it up and was floored by how powerfull and clean it sounded. The only fault was the volume and balance pots were very dirty and cutting out.

I popped off the bottom cover and hit all the pots with a shot or two of De-oxit and was very carefull not to get overspray on anything.

Powered it back up and now I get nearly no volume out of it. I need to crank it up to the 1:00 position to barely hear anything whereas before I could not go beyond 9:00 as it would be too loud. I've cleaned many pots before and never had this problem. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Thanks!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Make sure the TAPE switch is set to "source" ,the SELECTOR switch is set to FM and and the SPEAKER switch is set to whichever speaker terminals you are using and try again. W/O knobs it's tough to know where it's set.

Also, if you removed the ADAPTER jumpers on the back, those need to be replaced in order to get any sound.
 
D'oh! It was the TAPE switch. Must have changed it without knowing it. Thanks for the help! I just don't know why people feel the need to steal knobs, is there an underground market in China for them?
 
I think they go to Korea and come back as Hyundai engine blocks. FYI, with the exception of the tuning and sound inject, all of the knobs are identical.
 
Back
Top Bottom