• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Low watt tube amp for big speakers

Andrei

Active Member
Hey guys, is there any risk driving a pair of big KEFs 107 with a low watt tube amp, namely the 8 W/channel Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3?
The thing is that I really love this little amp, until now I used it to drive a pair of Ohm C2 just fine and I would like to keep it.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think a lot would depend on what you expect from them. Here's a copy of their manual.

You might want to google "Kef 107 power requirements" to view their owners manual and read to read page 9 carefully.
 
Last edited:
The closest I've come to your combination is a pair of KEF Reference 103.2's with my PP 7189(14w/channel) Fisher. That combination didn't do it for me, though I have found other strange combinations of speakers/amps that worked. I found the sensitivity rating on my KEF's to be optimistic and have read others who felt same way. The 107's also have the Kube and I would think from my reading might be power hungry. Also suggest reading as much as you can find.
 
I have read in the manual where it talks about amplifier requirements. It says that they will perform optimally when driven with 300 W/channel, but due to their high sensitivity (90 dB) they will be just fine with as little as 50 W/channel. I don't know how this would translate for a tube amp....
 
Hey guys, is there any risk driving a pair of big KEFs 107 with a low watt tube amp, namely the 8 W/channel Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3?
Risk? No, unless you're foolish enough to run the amp at maximum volume. And maybe not even then but the distortion level would likely make that unlistenable anyway.

Will it work well and sound good in your particular situation? Try it and see.
 
I have read in the manual where it talks about amplifier requirements. It says that they will perform optimally when driven with 300 W/channel, but due to their high sensitivity (90 dB) they will be just fine with as little as 50 W/channel. I don't know how this would translate for a tube amp....

Watts are watts, tube or solid state. No translation needed.
 
Risk? No, unless you're foolish enough to run the amp at maximum volume. And maybe not even then but the distortion level would likely make that unlistenable anyway.

Will it work well and sound good in your particular situation? Try it and see.

By "risk" I'm referring to some possible distortions that I wont notice but that can damage the tweeters, especially on long-term
 
By "risk" I'm referring to some possible distortions that I wont notice but that can damage the tweeters, especially on long-term
I can't imagine that unnoticeable distortion would cause any problems. Distortion from SS amps is much more destructive than distortion from tube amps.

No harm in giving this combo a listen.
 
I have read in the manual where it talks about amplifier requirements. It says that they will perform optimally when driven with 300 W/channel, but due to their high sensitivity (90 dB) they will be just fine with as little as 50 W/channel. I don't know how this would translate for a tube amp....

Those KEF speakers weren't designed to be driven by a tube amp with a relatively high output impedance, and virtually no damping factor. There's a lot more going on than just efficiency. It's highly unlikely you'll damage them, but don't expect miracles.

jeff
 
Well I'm kinda new, but I prefer low watt tube units, with my monster speakers. To date I've run my 299's with speakerLab clones, corns, La Sala, Delquist 10s and 20s, and Warfdale 70's and 90's. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer that set up to my David Berning tune gear. My Mac gear, "SS" my SS Conrad Johnson amps.

Also had outstanding success with the ST70/PAS-3 into the same speakers, and my Stromberg Carlsen Stereo 24, with the above speakers. Again magic.

Be bold in mixing and matching stuff, experiment find what it is your looking for. It's a blast.

Dirk
 
Back
Top Bottom