• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

lower noise version of C458 transistor?

I replaced the very noisy 2SC458LG parts in my Sansui 2000x with 2N5088. In bench tests, in order of noise, were 2N5088, 2N4401, 2N3904 and MPS-A06. There were all decent and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of 'em. Some other common parts like 2N2222 were much worse. You have to make band limited noise measurements for the results to be meaningful in the audio band. The data sheet noise numbers may not be that meaningful for specific applications. Check pinouts!
 
AFAIK, the only version of the C458 that has a problem is the oldest one with the odd 'Monopoly Hotel'-shaped case. The newer style with the more traditional half-round case (such as those in Post #19) are not an issue.

Hitachi made the C458 for 3+ decades. Stretches credibility to suppose that every production run suffered the same problem.
 
"original?" 2sc2240bl's appear to be going for quite a cost, I think my sansui au-555 needs 10 of them:sigh:

I think I saw one place asking £1.99 each, thats over $3 each for most of you.

I ended up buying 25 of these magnatec 2240bl's at £0.27 each though of course the postage bumps the cost overall. It appears they have 970bl's too = rscomponents

what do people think of these, surely being stocked by a large distributer they must have good quality control?

2013-04-14 23.31.05.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had a noise at my amp's right channel (constant "hiss"). The culprit was a C458. Replaced it with BC550 (BC549 out of stock).

Replaced all the TRs. Cost me 1.30 euros (10 cents each TR).
 
I got a load of bc550's, are these as good to use as the 2sc2240's to replace the 'old' 2sc458's?
talk of groundhog day, I think I've read this question before here on AK:scratch2:

I would love to buy a load from b+d but cross atlantic post sure does push up the cost (doubles)
 
KSC1815 seems like a fantastic alternative to BC550 - looks like it has lower noise than the 550. I am seriously considering it for a 2sc458 swap in my akai gx-267.
 
Back
Top Bottom