• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

lp gear replica ortofon?

audiolama

Active Member
Just purchased a Thorens td 165 that came with a Ortofon 20 with no styli..Lp gear sells replicas 20, 30, and 40..for cheap.. I was about to order the original 20 when I saw the lpgear 30 for sooo cheap..should I take the chance, has any1 tried these replicas?
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe not. But as a long-term customer, I would trust them with anything they sell, and any advice they give.

yeah ur right tawn.I guess ill order there oem 20..FOr only $30 more its not worth to take the chance if no 1 here as heard the replicas and compared the two.
 
The original Ortofon 20 stylus aint cheep and I have to admit also looking at generics when I bought replacements but Ortofon workmanship and QC is so good I found it hard to believe an aftermarket mfg could make a stylus that sounded as good. Though I have to say I recall someone here buying the LPGear aftermarket for their Dad and saying it sounded great, was that you static14?
 
The original Ortofon 20 stylus aint cheep and I have to admit also looking at generics when I bought replacements but Ortofon workmanship and QC is so good I found it hard to believe an aftermarket mfg could make a stylus that sounded as good. Though I have to say I recall someone here buying the LPGear aftermarket for their Dad and saying it sounded great, was that you static14?

the orofton 20 styli is 129.99 and the lp gear is thirty less.
 
Close to what you're asking

Not the LP gear, the JICO and for the LM30. Should be pretty similar?
It's a decent enough stylus. I would have been happier with the SAS I'm sure but I just wanted to know if I liked the deck and cart before putting that kind of money into it. The OEM replacement was hideously expensive.
I do not like it as much as my SHURE w/SAS JICO but for background in the office rig it's good. Not as full, very detailed though, does not track as well.
Since i never heard the original I can't tell you how it compares to that.
 
The Ortofon motor is very nice. The aftermarket styli I have tried (from Japan) were just OK. There are three styli houses in Japan that make replacements. JICO is the better one. If you don't know it comes from JICO, I suggest passing on it.

OEM Ortofon styli cost because they work and match the motor. Would I be uncomfortable with a JICO - No. Would I rather have a OEM - Yes. However, the unknown replacement is a good test stylus for thrift store bodies and such. Also good for patio parties where a OEM might get damaged.
 
The Ortofon motor is very nice. The aftermarket styli I have tried (from Japan) were just OK. There are three styli houses in Japan that make replacements. JICO is the better one. If you don't know it comes from JICO, I suggest passing on it.

OEM Ortofon styli cost because they work and match the motor. Would I be uncomfortable with a JICO - No. Would I rather have a OEM - Yes. However, the unknown replacement is a good test stylus for thrift store bodies and such. Also good for patio parties where a OEM might get damaged.

Thats good to know.You are correct, Im gonna go and get the oem from lpgear. Man I thought I had a good deal buying this tt for 250, not knowing it needed a styli that cost a buck thirty.
 
Back
Top Bottom