• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

LPGear Vessel A3SE Cartridge Review

Update:

At this point I have been using the Vessel A3SE exclusively for over two weeks. The cart is fully broken in at this point. Here is a summary of my final thoughts:

Cartridge Pedigree:

From some internet digging the OEM for this cart appears to be Excel Sound Corporation, and the cart appears to be based on the Excel ES-70 model, but built to LPGear's specifications. Other carts in production that are based on the ES-70 include the Sumiko Pearl, the Shelter 201, and some Garrott Brothers' models. In the past there have been a variety of carts sold based on the same ES-70 platform, such as the A&R P77 and some models sold under the Coral name.

Sound Profile:

I would say the sound is slightly to the warm side of neutral. The sound is clear and not boring to listen to. There is a little bit of top-end roll-off, but nothing I found off-putting. Bass is good enough to reproduce bass-heavy music with no problems. Some people may find this to be a positive, as the cartridge is quieter in the groove than some other elliptical and advanced stylus profile cartridges I've heard or tried in my system. Pretty much any genre of music sounds very nice with this cartridge. The soundstage seems to be average for an MM cart, not noticeably wide or too narrow.

Mounting and Set-Up:

The cartridge comes with two sets of screws and nuts, both of which I found too short for my headshell. I'd recommend having some extra hardware on hand to mount the cartridge in case you run into this problem. While mounting the cart, I found the safest route was to remove the stylus until I was ready to align the cartridge. The included plastic stylus guard is hollow in the center and doesn't offer the best protection.

Alignment was not difficult but the stylus tip is set back a bit from the plastic stylus housing, which means it can be a bit more challenging than cartridges where the stylus is more exposed. Not a huge issue. Good alignment is important with this cartridge to get the best sound.

In terms of compliance, the cartridge is probably best matched with medium mass tonearms. My tonearm is on the heavier side of low mass at 11g and posed no problems I can detect, and checks out with the Vinyl Engine Cartridge Resonance Evaluator. It is probably not a great match for ultra light tonearms like those on some Pro-Ject turntables.

Output is 3MV, which is a bit low compared to many MM carts on the market. I would estimate the sweet spot for preamp gain to be between 43db-46db.

Break-In Time:

I found break-in time on this cartridge to be greater than other cartridges I've used. Out of the box, the cantilever is quite stiff, leading to a closed-in sound. As the cartridge breaks in, it seems to track better and the sound opens up more, revealing more detail in the music. I would give this cartridge a minimum of 30 hours of break in time before finalizing judgment on the sound. If you lack the patience to get past the break-in period, this cartridge may not be for you.

Tracking:

I found the cartridge tracked well at the recommended 2.0g VTF on just about any record I tried with it, including some with mild warps. Inner groove tracking is very decent considering the .2 x .8 elliptical stylus, but IGD is present on the more aggressively cut records in my collection. Records with very narrow deadwax will give this cartridge more trouble than conservatively cut records with wider deadwax, the same as any elliptical cartridge. If you are not overly sensitive to IGD, I wouldn't worry about this very much. I will say that I think this stylus performs better than the more common .3 x .7 and .4 x .7 elliptical styli typically included with other carts in this price range.


Overall Value:

The overall value of this cartridge is on par with its competitors in the same price range (~$100). Whether you prefer this cartridge over other similar carts comes down to personal taste and what cart is the best match for your system. I personally prefer this cartridge over the Ortofon 2M Red, the Shure M97XE, and the equivalent model from Audio Technica (formerly the AT100E, now replaced by the VM520EB).

Those looking for a somewhat neutral, yet warm cartridge that does not sacrifice too much detail may want to consider the Vessel A3SE.

I am personally interested in how the Vessel cartridge performs with the upgrade styli available from LP Gear. The next level up would be a nude line contact stylus priced at $230 (stylus only) or $260 (complete cartridge). I would imagine this solves the minor issues with this cartridge but I am also curious how it would impact the overall sound profile of the cart.
On reading your praise, Mr P, I went to the LP Gear website, and found this —

"The R defines itself and its users as those who transcend the vulnerability of success, advance their intellect and sentience, extend their humanity and exceed their personal best."

I'd pay any amount of money to do all that! At the price, it's a steal.
That's about what I found. Some people will find the roll off of the highs off putting but I picked up a replacement stylus from the line contact version and it's still closed in but has a tremendous sense of texture and rhythm. I use it often to have some fun
 
I have the LP gear a3sm vessel, it's a bit further up the chain but I will say it is an excellent cartridge, very detailed (micro line stylus) solid bass and very quiet with background noise surprisingly as I thought because of the micro line I would hear much more groove dust etc. The output is low as stated above but a phono stage with a gain at least in the 40's will do fine. Overall I've been very pleased with it.

Audiofreak71
100 percent agree with your assessment
 
The specs of the Pearl are different. They are not exactly the same.

Similar, yes.

How different do they sound? I don't know, because I don't have a Pearl on hand to compare.

Re: OEMs selling the same or very similar products under a different brand and model name, that happens all the time, and not just in audio. Not saying I endorse it, just saying...
I realise this thread is old but somebody revived it.
The LP gear is the excel Corporation low output version so not the same as the Pearl, it is exactly the same cartridge that Sumiko use for the Amethyst. The high output version is what Garrott Brothers and everyone else uses. The advantage of the low output version is it is much lower inductance so it has a better square wave.
Anyone considering buying an Amethyst should really look at an LP Gear Vessel and go up the range a bit and get one with a nude tip, this way you get the same cartridge as the Amethyst only a lot cheaper.
Chris
 
They are a bit muffled for me but nice of you just want to relax
Not loaded correctly they are not. This is a Garrott Brothers cartridge which is the high inductance version. Basically the same cartridge but higher output and square wave is not as clean. It is unbelievably flat for a moving magnet with good high response. Many MM have a lifting treble and harsh due to inductance messing with the square wave. If yours is muffled it is loaded wrong or set up wrong or you are used to MMs with a rising treble.
ChrisScreenshot_20260103_083450_Gallery.jpg
 
Nah. I have zyx, Hana, Goldring, Denon. I run a Kuzma Stabi r and 4 point with Drnavector xv1. I have an old pioneer dd that I am sentimentally attached to. I have a slew of mm cartridges. None are bright with a rising top end but the vessel may not be broken in. I never use it. It's nice. I do enjoy it but it's not really alive but is very natural which is my preference. If you know of better loading I'll try it
 
Last edited:
Not loaded correctly they are not. This is a Garrott Brothers cartridge which is the high inductance version. Basically the same cartridge but higher output and square wave is not as clean. It is unbelievably flat for a moving magnet with good high response. Many MM have a lifting treble and harsh due to inductance messing with the square wave. If yours is muffled it is loaded wrong or set up wrong or you are used to MMs with a rising treble.
ChrisView attachment 3667528

That cartridge would sound muffled to most people.
 
Not loaded correctly they are not. This is a Garrott Brothers cartridge which is the high inductance version. Basically the same cartridge but higher output and square wave is not as clean. It is unbelievably flat for a moving magnet with good high response. Many MM have a lifting treble and harsh due to inductance messing with the square wave. If yours is muffled it is loaded wrong or set up wrong or you are used to MMs with a rising treble.
ChrisView attachment 3667528
Even Rome at lp gear admits they are dark but there is a level of enjoyment that's hard to describe. Less like stereo. More like real music.
That cartridge would sound muffled to most people.
Vessel?
 
Even Rome at lp gear admits they are dark but there is a level of enjoyment that's hard to describe. Less like stereo. More like real music.

Vessel?

I think the chart shown is for a Garrott Brothers. That dip is going to result in a dark sound in an otherwise flat system.
 
Not loaded correctly they are not. This is a Garrott Brothers cartridge which is the high inductance version. Basically the same cartridge but higher output and square wave is not as clean. It is unbelievably flat for a moving magnet with good high response. Many MM have a lifting treble and harsh due to inductance messing with the square wave. If yours is muffled it is loaded wrong or set up wrong or you are used to MMs with a rising treble.
ChrisView attachment 3667528
i would consider being down 2db in the presence region as being muffled. thats pretty typical looking of a shure m91/grado/ sumiko with the big saddle dip and a rise at the end.
 
I think the chart shown is for a Garrott Brothers. That dip is going to result in a dark sound in an otherwise flat system.
Not really, the dip is only 2dB and it is wide ie 2-10k so what results is a bass and treble lift.
The dip with older Grado and Shure is a much narrower dip which does sound flat.
Chris
 
Not really, the dip is only 2dB and it is wide ie 2-10k so what results is a bass and treble lift.
The dip with older Grado and Shure is a much narrower dip which does sound flat.
Chris

I'm gonna disagree again, the dip ends at 12k, which isn't really "treble" but more like "air.'

If you use Audacity and a parametric EQ plug-in to simulate that curve, you'll see it sucks the life out of most music, if listening via otherwise flat gear.
 
i just posted this over at asr. this thread made me curious about the vessel body i have-
LP Gear Vessel with Jico SAS/B VN5MR
lpgear vessel sasb.png

I didnt put this in the measurement thread since this is pretty non standard. this measurement was taken using the pats audio 6mm shim. ive had a vessel body i picked up cheap years ago that i never did anything with because the replacement styli are ridiculously expensive for what they are. however, if you cut some of the plastic off of the generator mount, you open it up to different styli. i tried it with a jico sas/b for a vn5mr. it still has that excel generator dip in the presence region. maybe a good choice for someone looking for a "smooth" sounding cartridge? cutting the plastic off is a good option to open the cart up to better styli though considering the lp gear ruby/micro ridge stylus for this cart is spec'd at only tracking 60um at 2 grams and costs 597 bucks.
 
i just posted this over at asr. this thread made me curious about the vessel body i have-
LP Gear Vessel with Jico SAS/B VN5MR
View attachment 3668357

I didnt put this in the measurement thread since this is pretty non standard. this measurement was taken using the pats audio 6mm shim. ive had a vessel body i picked up cheap years ago that i never did anything with because the replacement styli are ridiculously expensive for what they are. however, if you cut some of the plastic off of the generator mount, you open it up to different styli. i tried it with a jico sas/b for a vn5mr. it still has that excel generator dip in the presence region. maybe a good choice for someone looking for a "smooth" sounding cartridge? cutting the plastic off is a good option to open the cart up to better styli though considering the lp gear ruby/micro ridge stylus for this cart is spec'd at only tracking 60um at 2 grams and costs 597 bucks.

I considered the Vessel cartridge(s) at one point but also found the replacement styli to be ridiculously expensive. Of course it's become common in the last year or two for replacement styli across the board to cost close to the cost for complete cartridges, but Vessel styli (and relative Sumiko even higher) were high priced before it was so common.

It's been a real bummer, especially when coupled with the endless haranguing about super short stylus life that has also become common here and on other forums.

"Hey, here's the replacement stylus for your MM cartridge, which happens to cost only a few dollars less than an entire new cartridge, and which you need to replace within 300 hours or you'll destroy your records. Good luck!"
 
I'm gonna disagree again, the dip ends at 12k, which isn't really "treble" but more like "air.'

If you use Audacity and a parametric EQ plug-in to simulate that curve, you'll see it sucks the life out of most music, if listening via otherwise flat gear.
I disagree totally, 2dB is nothing and it is over a big range. It it was a narrow suck out for 5dB I would agree but a gentle suck out so wide is a non issue. Room and gear makes much more difference.
Go and look at plots for cartridges, many are a lot worse than that.
Chris
 
I disagree totally, 2dB is nothing and it is over a big range. It it was a narrow suck out for 5dB I would agree but a gentle suck out so wide is a non issue. Room and gear makes much more difference.
Go and look at plots for cartridges, many are a lot worse than that.
Chris

Well if I think of it, I'll post a couple of tracks so readers can judge for themselves.
 
Back
Top Bottom