• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lurking from Georgia

Kighter

Member
Hello

Long long time lurker. Decided finally time to come out of the AK closet.

Getting my 2 channel stuff back together with a new TT and much listening enjoyment.

Happy to be here!
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome! Lurking from Georgia is far better than Marching Through Georgia!

In addition to telling us the region of the state, tell us what brought you here. Where you Googling for info and found the site that way? That's what happened to me, I found a RTR in a pawn shop and went Googling for info on how to repair.
 
@GordonW - I'm in Norcross. Peachtree Corners. Grew up over your way - East Cobb Marietta street address if not "Mayretta" proper.
 
@DougMac - I think I can answer that with a little bit about my story...

Like most folks back in the 80s I was pursuing great 2 channel with my audio equipment. Great being a subjective word for a high school kid. I was aware of Macintosh, etc but that was for adults with jobs bigger than my video store gig. But back to the beginning...

In the very early 80s, I had a high end boom box (oxymoron) - it had a phono input and removable speakers! An early mini-system basically. I fed it with a Technics semi-auto turntable of some sort. Belt drive, with the little slider on front to raise and lower the arm and a cue button. I wanna say SL-200 (?). Pretty sure it was P-mount. I recorded all of my records onto cassette for the car.

A year or two later (like 83ish) I got an Akai AA-V201 receiver. It has a touch pad volume control. I still have it and it works. Something like 40 wpc. It was driving a pair of the monster 12" 80s speakers. I think they were Fisher 3-ways. Mostly junk but they did play loud.

At some point in there got a Yamaha K-540 cassette. Dolby B/C/HX Pro. I cleaned it up just last week - sounds and works great. Also got a Technics CD player in 1984. No idea which one. Not a ton of CD buying. So expensive early on. But I did do mostly CDs eventually.

Decided that was all a bit much to take to a dorm in college, so changed a few things. Got a pair of Boston A70s. Smaller and much much better than the Fishers. I think a salesman advised the Akai might not be up to it, so I got a Carver m100t to drive them. Used the little Carver speaker to line converter to feed the amp. This was my system most of the way through College. I upgraded my turntable while in college. Biggest purchase of my life to that point. Bang & Olufsen RX2. The floating suspension amazed me. Think of the dancing at parties!

Couple years later it's time to finally retire the receiver and get a proper separates setup. So at a Hi-Fi Buys near Galleria Mall here in Atlanta, I bought a Yamaha CX-1000U. Amazing.

So here I am in the 90s with a TOTL Yamaha pre into the Carver driving the Bostons. Sources are the B&O and CD with Cassettes for the car. (Also a hefty expenditure - different forum).

Well what happens next?

Surround Sound! LaserDisc! Crappy Kenwood center channel. AudioSource SS Three decoder-amp. Frankenstein components cobbled together. Lots of LaserDisc purchases. VHS upgrades. Speaker upgrades. AVR receivers.

General neglect of decent 2 channel audio.

So anyway that's a rambling story about how my decent 2 channel stuff ended up in my closet waiting to be dusted off. That's exactly what I did a couple years ago. I found AK looking to fix the Yamaha preamp which stopped outputting audio out the main outs.

Recently I've hooked up the Carver to a pair of NHT SuperOnes with Classic 12 Sub. The Yamaha is being used a phono pre. Got a new Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440mla. Thoroughly enjoying STEREO and sad I didn't address my music a bit more the last 15 years.

Thx for reading.
 
Thoroughly enjoying STEREO and sad I didn't address my music a bit more the last 15 years.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I just reflected back on my day. Let's see, I listened to a 78, auditioned a new stylus for LP's, listened to a cut from RTR ("You Only Live Twice", Nancy Sinatra), listened to both a CD and a memory stick in the car (trying out the USB port) and I just got through listening to 7.1 in the home theater.
 
Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I just reflected back on my day. Let's see, I listened to a 78, auditioned a new stylus for LP's, listened to a cut from RTR ("You Only Live Twice", Nancy Sinatra), listened to both a CD and a memory stick in the car (trying out the USB port) and I just got through listening to 7.1 in the home theater.

Heh. Yeah we do have lots of options don't we?
 
In the search there is adventure, in completion, satisfaction... Be prepared for lots of adventure! :) Welcome to the Audiokarma support group.
 
@GordonW - I'm in Norcross. Peachtree Corners. Grew up over your way - East Cobb Marietta street address if not "Mayretta" proper.

I'm actually a Marietta "immigrant". Originally from Moultrie GA (about 60 miles north of the Florida border). :D Been here (Atlanta/Smyrna/Marietta) since 1985.

BTW: You still got the Boston A70s? I'd get them out, see if they need any maintenance (they may need replacement foam surrounds- that's easy- PM me if you need help with that), and get them back into service. IMHO, they are great big over-achievers... there's no way such a simple speaker should sound THAT good...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Yeah I know Moultrie. Passed through hundreds of times. Played there for a festival in high school band too.

Sadly the Bostons are no more. My brother had a pair too. So that's four that would be great now, but went to the trash before anyone knew you could refoam. I loved those things too. I hope maybe someone knew what they were and plucked them and are enjoying them now.

On that topic, any advice on refoam on Infinity RS525s? I tried it and botched it and they could use it done properly.
 
Holy crap... I played in the CCHS 50th Regiment Band, between 1982 and 1984!

Was with the 50th when we won Greatest Band in Dixie in New Orleans for the unprecedented second time, in 1983, and when we won the DeSoto Festival in Bradenton FL in 1982. We had our own contest in Moultrie, in 1983, IIRC... I was one of the guys schlepping gear from the senior high school over to the stadium, at various times during the day.

I was there when Don Medders was band director. When he left, I shortly thereafter lost interest and went onto other things (science projects primarily)...

I remember in those days, it was us, and the Enterprise Alabama high-school band, who frequently wound up going head-to-head at many contests. We took some, they took some...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Heh. I'm not positive but I think we were at that 1983 contest. I was a sophomore. Walton High School.

Played one my senior year that Enterprise attended. No idea where. Memphis in the pouring rain maybe? They all run together 25+ yrs later.
 
Back
Top Bottom