• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman K-210 repair question (total n00b)

bulletinwbw

New Member
I recently acquired a Luxman K-210 tape deck.

The problem is that the moment I turn on the power button, the silver knob (pulley? spindle? -- see attached photo) starts turning. No matter what button I press -- Stop, Pause, Play, whatever -- it keeps whirring.

Does anyone have any idea how this might be fixed?

Thank you in advance!

Photo: https://imgur.com/a/qXtR5Op

qXtR5Op
 
Register to hide this ad
It is a capstan, and it is supposed to run whenever the deck is switched on (for most decks). No need to "fix" anything there.

So here's your 'first attendance' medal! :rflmao:
 
Oh man, I'm such an idiot. Thank you! It's really quite (distractingly) loud. No grinding or anything, just a loud whir. Is that normal?

Also, I generally deoxit any vintage amps I get -- is this advised on a tape deck or can it cause damage somehow?

Thank you!
 
Hey, don't call yourself an idiot man! Just joking here.

And no, it is not supposed to make a lot of noise. Most likely the capstan shaft needs a little oil. It might not be so easy to get to it however, you probably need to disassemble the mechanics partially.

You will find a large flywheel on the other end of that capstan (inside the deck). In order to clean and oil the capstan shaft you have to pull it out of the shaft. And before you can do that, you must get it 'cleared' of whatever is sitting behind that flywheel.

Deoxit will work on switches and potmeter exactly the same in a tape deck as in an amp. Just try to avoid spraying over other stuff.

It can be tricky, depending on the deck. But If you are comfortable with (fine) mechanics you should be okay.
Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom