• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman LV-105 vs R-117

BMWM5

New Member
I currently own a Luxman LV-105 Integrated Amp which kicks 85 watts p/channel. They drive a beautiful pair of Klipshorns vintage 1986. I have the opportunity to obtain a Luxman R-117 Receiver which kicks 160 rms p/channel.
Would I improve the quality of sound out of the K-Horns if I purchased the R-117, or should I stick with the old reliable Luxman LV-105?

Mike in CT.
 
Register to hide this ad
While I'm sure you'll get a variety of responses, my take is stay with what you have (and which you know has no issues) until you find an opportunity to upgrade to separates. Or if your IA has pre-amp outs, go with a power amp if you just want more power - then you could upgrade in stages if so inclined.
 
I think with the power rating you won't find much difference. Both amps will drive those speakers beautifully because of their heavy transformer however those amps do sound different. With the R117 you will find a tighter bass and better sonically. The 105 would be more laid back not too punchy IMO.
 
Last edited:
Had a whole bunch of that stuff, and the LV-105u sounded better than most of it.

Well everybody got there own taste. The fact is however that these pieces are made mostly by Alpine. In Japan they even had both the Alpine and Luxman logos on the front. I´m not saying Luxman didn´t make good and even great equipment under the Alpine ownership but in my book all of the great units were champange/silver. And never had a Alpine logo on the front.
If you look at build quality etc. it´s not even close.
 
Back
Top Bottom