• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman M-4000 Lamps

mwelna

Active Member
Does anyone happen to know what the specs are for the meter illumination lamps on the M-4000 amplifier? I have one in my hand. It has no discernible markings on it and at 1.75" is longer than the typical fuse lamps that I am familiar with.

I have the owners manual and service manuals for the amp and can't find the information in these either though admittedly I do not know exactly what I'm looking at. Thanks for the help. I know someone here must have sourced them before and I'd love to find some.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Thanks Kahoona. I have heard dgwojo mentioned many times regarding lamps and bulbs here and have been to his website but do not see fuse style lamps in the size the M-4000 is set up for. I'm not sure what the length of the typical Marantz / Sansui style fuse lamp is but these are about 1.5 times the length of those.

I have found an ebay seller in Germany who is selling a "lamp kit" for the M2000, M4000, M6000 amplifiers but even then his ad states regarding mounting:

"mounting....................... plugable, some shorter (maybe use the old metal caps to extend)"

This leads me to believe that perhaps his lamps are not a direct fit in which case I'm conflicted about spending 20.00 to have 4 lamps shipped from Germany.

If I can't get any leads on correct replacements I will go this route and hope for the best.
 
If you post a pic, the full dimensions, and measure the supplied voltage at the lamp (ok if the lamp isn't installed), we can probably point you at a solution.

John
 
The fuse style lamp measures about 5mm in diameter by 45mm in length. It looks like a typical cylindrical fuse style lamp except longer. I will photograph it this evening.

So I'm looking for V AC at the leads / lamp holder? I'll do that this weekend when I have the amp back apart.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Yes, but check both AC and DC - could be either driving the lamps depending on the particular design.

John
 
Will do. Thanks.

Upon closer inspection under bright light I noticed very worn faint writing on one metal end of the lamp that looks like it could read 0V. So I'm guessing that this is an EXTRA long 10V fuse lamp of unknown amperage. Good luck finding one of these!
 
Maybe, maybe not... 10V isn't horrible though, you can often sub a 12V lamp and get about the same illumination.

I'll go poke around on the 45mm aspect while you're checking voltage.

Just to be clear, these have fuse-style ends, not pointy festoon type, correct?

John
 
10V 3.3W is used in the M2000. I can't read the M4000 manual but it appears to be the same, just really blurry.
 
Thanks Kahoona. I have heard dgwojo mentioned many times regarding lamps and bulbs here and have been to his website but do not see fuse style lamps in the size the M-4000 is set up for. I'm not sure what the length of the typical Marantz / Sansui style fuse lamp is but these are about 1.5 times the length of those..

Just email him and ask. He has a ton of stuff. The email is in the site I am sure but it is dwojo@earthlink.net. I have never found anything that he did not know about and have but you might give him a thread link just in case so he has the specs.
Rob
 
From memory 10v sounds correct, I have 1 bulb that was intermittent and when I inspected it looks to be made poorly with a skewed end.

Did a little looking around for a replacement but did not find one.
 
Jdurbin1, thanks for sticking with this thread. I still plan on taking the readings this weekend.

Blueshadow, thanks for that. The ebay seller is offering the same lamps for the M-2000 / M-4000 / M-6000. I'm all but certain that the models utilize the same lamp. Do you have a M-2000, and have you needed lamps for it?

Kahoona, I will email Dwojo. I'm sure you are correct that even if he doesn't supply this particular lamp that he'll have some useful thoughts on the matter.

There have to be some suitable or modifiable lamps out there or everyone's beautiful M-XXXX amplifiers lovely meters would be dark!

Here are a few photos for your enjoyment. Please note that one end of the lamp is wrapped in tape because I twisted the end cap off trying to clean it.

Thanks again.

IMG_1322.JPG


IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG
 
Best guess, that is an SF6/T2 45mm lamp and from your observations and Keith's info on the spec, likely 10/300mA or thereabouts which would match the ~3 watt spec.

I will look some more, armed with the additional info. BUT there are a lot of factors weighing against finding one:

1) 10V is much harder to find these days; many lamp makers have stopped making them.

2) 45mm length in an SF6/T2 lamp is a real corner case, also not likely anyone is still in production on those. More common lengths are more like 28-29mm, sometimes shorter. They also did 31, 37 etc. but mostly today you can find stuff around 28-29mm long and not much else.

I can think of a few ways to solve that though, one would be to use GF740 12.6V/300mA fuse lamps that are 28mm long, and make a fitting using the old end caps to extend the length out to 45mm so they still clip in the same way. the end caps can be soldered so reusing the original caps plus a short piece of copper rod (romex etc.) would work. Should provide roughly the same amount of light but the filament won't be as long, which may show up as weaker light at either edge of the meters.

With that much length you could also probably fabricate an in-line LED plus resistor plus diode arrangement that could be clipped in place, with a few LED's to help spread the source out a little. With a lightly frosted diffuser, that might actually look ok though I am no fan of LED's used in meter applications as a rule.

Another solution could be to move the clips closer together to allow use of a "standard" length lamp. Or, move 'em further apart and use a pair of 6 volt 25mm long lamps soldered end to end and clipped into place - assuming those can be found with the correct wattage rating. That would help with the short filament issue, whether you'd notice a gap in the center where the two end caps were butted together, I don't know.

Sure glad they didn't use that type lamps in my 5L15 integrated amp!

John
 
Last edited:
Wow John. Thank you for the excellent post. I really appreciate it. I could find no reference to the lamp for this amplifier here or otherwise with the exception of an older post by totem suggesting that he remembered it being 10v.

I found a Canadian eBay seller with 12v 300ma 45mm fuse style lamps sold in pairs. He had 3 pairs and I bought them all. I would imagine he will restock at $26.00 shipped for 6 bulbs.

I was happy to pay it. That should take care of my 2 M4000s for awhile. Thanks again.

I'll report back when they arrive and I get them installed.
 
Sweet! Wouldn't mind knowing what markings those have on the ends when you get 'em... could be useful. :thmbsp:

John
 
I'll take some pictures of the lamps when they arrive. The sellers ad says that they are made in Japan.
 
Why am I not surprised to hear that? They're probably pretty old, too. Been a long time since there was much miniature lamp production going on in that country...

John
 
Does anyone happen to know what the specs are for the meter illumination lamps on the M-4000 amplifier? I have one in my hand. It has no discernible markings on it and at 1.75" is longer than the typical fuse lamps that I am familiar with.

I have the owners manual and service manuals for the amp and can't find the information in these either though admittedly I do not know exactly what I'm looking at. Thanks for the help. I know someone here must have sourced them before and I'd love to find some.

Beautiful! Do you have the operators manual? Which preamp do. you use?
Thanks, Brian
 
Beautiful! Do you have the operators manual? Which preamp do. you use?
Thanks, Brian

If I remember correctly, I do have the owners manual. I also have the C-1010 preamp and T-110 tuner. Looking back through the pictures in the thread, it looks like I do have the manual! I am also working of finding the lamps discussed to photograph for future reference.

-mark
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom