• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman Preamps

Guy Ornes

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently acquired a Luxman M 4000, but I would like to get a Luxman preamp to go with it. I have an opportunity to get the C 1000 or C 02. I know the C 1000 matches and is same line up, but not the biggest fan of the look when comparing to the C 02.
Can anyone provide insight if the C 1000 is that much better than the C 02 for me to get over the difference in looks? Or maybe suggest another option?
I think I can get both for about the same amount and both have the feature I require.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have the CX-100 (same as the CX-02). It's a very fine preamp with a nice MC phono stage.
 
C-5000 is rare but yes, anything with what 9 choices for the turnover frequency of the bass or treble is seriously flexible.

I would like the CL-32/34 (limited controls, tube units)
CL-35 III (full blown tube unit similar to the flexibility of the C-1000)
5C50 LRS preamp (SS minimum controls), probably their best ss vintage preamp
C-12 Studio Standard Series (SS minimum controls)
C-1000/C-1010

Then any of the newer units. C-05 before the C-02 and maybe the above before the C-02, would need to try the C-02 to find out more about it.
 
Last edited:
I've had more than one Luxman preamp over the years: I gravitate to the brand. As to Guy's question, C-1000 vs C-02, I had the C-02 — and high hopes. Gorgeous looking, but to my surprise I didn't like it at all, a flat lifeless sound. Very disappointed. At the same time, I had the Luxman 5C50 pre (the Lab Ref series) Blue Shadow mentions, and there was no comparison: the 5C50 is one of the best SS preamps I've ever heard. I loaned the C-02 to a friend, who was a reviewer for well-known audio magazines — he was really keen to hear the MC stage, but he shared my disappointment. I never heard a C-1000 so can't advise.

Shadow also mentions the CL-34 and CL-35III. Through some lucky synchronicity, I had them both at the same time. I had three friends, a "jury of golden ears" (musicians, sound engineer) to help me evaluate. We played their own recordings, which of course they knew intimately. To my surprise, they all preferred the humble 34 to the famous 35III — as one put it, it was "great music" vs "great Hi-Fi". He was violist with the Berlin Phil and we were playing a Bruckner Symphony he was part of. These guys often heard dramatic differences where I heard no difference at all, but this time I agreed — and I really wanted the CL-35III, the price was silly-low and it even had the rare plug-in silver-wire MC SUTs at the back. But I parted with it, and kept the CL-34. I still have it, 20 years later. It always satisfies.

None of these anecdotes help the OP to make a decision, except that I and an astute friend both nixed the C-02, for what it's worth...
 
I have never heard the CO2 but after upgrading from a tp117 pre to a C03, It brought me to a new level of listening. I found the tp 117 flat like how the OP is describing the C02. The C03 is very much alive.
 
I recently acquired a Luxman M 4000, but I would like to get a Luxman preamp to go with it. I have an opportunity to get the C 1000 or C 02. I know the C 1000 matches and is same line up, but not the biggest fan of the look when comparing to the C 02.
Can anyone provide insight if the C 1000 is that much better than the C 02 for me to get over the difference in looks? Or maybe suggest another option?
I think I can get both for about the same amount and both have the feature I require.
I have a M-2000 hooked up with C-02. I did find a C-1010 that I am starting to Recap. Now I have Recapped the C-02 and it is lively then before. Agree on the
Flat sound but the Recapped has helped. Should have the C-1010 completed in 2 weeks.

Oh..I did hook up the C-1010...It is better sounding then C-02 without the Recap.

Luxman C-1010 Recap Thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/luxman-c1010-recap.802184/
 
First thanks for the replies and information on Lux preamps. I am really interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the C 1000 and can provide their thoughts on the SQ, imaging, soundstage. Especially on the phono section.
 
You might consider the C300 which is of the same vintage as some of the others you are considering. You can see it in my avatar if you squint a little. It had a fantastic phono section and I loved the quality feeling of the controls.

Well worth seeking one out...

jblnut
 
My C-1000 is on the shelf. Sounded poor when received recapped cleaned it up and sounds fine but my brother's ARC SP-9II is my go to preamp. But currently playing with a recapped Yamaha C-4. The Luxman is a keeper but I need more time with it to know more about sound quality specifics.

Prior to the recap the sound was not focused and lacked clarity, it sounded bad and I was disappointed. Following the recap there was a veil lifted and the sound provided a nice central image. I think I will enjoy it when I throw it back in the system. Using the C-4 right now because of the three phono inputs with one being MC.

Hopefully others can provide some more info about their impressions and CohibaJoe can tell us how his refreshed unit sounds.
 
Last edited:
I used a C-02 with the M-02 amp ( initially a single amp, then moved to using a pair in bridged mono) . it was great. after selling off the amps I continued using the C-02 with a VAC Auricle Tube amp ( Marantz 8 re-make) and the C-02 was exceptional. The C-02 sold , along with a T-02 tuner a couple of weeks ago but I'd certainly own another one. I'm using a Krell KRC w/ KPE phono board for now , until that unit finds a new home. The circle of audio life continues around here. IN, PLAY, OUT Repeat.

_DSC1991.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom