• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman R-1050 vs Pioneer SX 737 - no contest

awat

Member
I have a Luxman R-1050 and I absolutely love it. Well, I came across an immaculate Pioneer SX 737 (see pic) for $350 and I had to pick it up. It was little light upon carrying it, but the controls, the color, the POWER SWITCH, like buttah.

So, I take out the Luxman to see how the Pioneer 737 would do running my newly capped and sealed KLH 5’s. I always play 5:15, by The Who, as the first song standard qualifier.

I did my best to remember what the Luxman was just sounding like. The Pioneer sounded comparable, it seems. Was I hearing Entwistle notes I hadn’t heard before? I was excited. Just turning the thing on and off was an experience. I listened a lot and slowly I began wondering if the bottom was getting lost. Feels a little empty, maybe?...I looked over at my Luxman who was sitting off to the side, not thrilled about getting removed from the top spot, but not worried in the slightest. The Luxman R-1050 is a lot to live up to.

I found myself needing to make the 737 louder in order to hear it better. But then it was too loud. I was starting to feel bothered by a certain frequency - the upper mids - and I couldn’t shake it. Like it was out of tune. I mean, the Pioneer felt good, pretty good, but those upper mids were really starting to bug me, and I started thinking that it doesn’t seem to have that sonic mix like the Luxman, Maybe it’s the speakers, I dared say to myself.


And then, confirmation, in the form of danger/my wife, arrived during a track by Courtney Barnett: “Would you turn it down! Do you hear that!”

I hadn’t heard those words in 8 months, since I got the Luxman. I could play anything as loud as I like and not once would I hear those words.

I didn’t admit to her that I knew it too.

Tonight when I went to sit down, I decided to stop playing games. I switched the receivers out. I turned the Luxman on and I literally could not believe my ears. The sound is so incredible and well-balanced. Those upper-mids that were bugging me? Gone. I sat in disbelief. The sound was everywhere and smooth, powerful, and warm.

I had read so much on this forum about how beautiful and great sounding the Pioneer 737 is. It is a beauty, but unless the Pioneer is in need of service, for me, this is a no contest.

If you can share your thoughts on the SX 737, well both receivers, I’d appreciate it. I feel like I’m missing something with this Pioneer.
 

Attachments

  • DB89144F-EF4B-49AC-95E0-441A150CD453.jpeg
    DB89144F-EF4B-49AC-95E0-441A150CD453.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 87
Register to hide this ad
I had a pioneer SX-980. It was mint inside and out and it just didn't have the magic. It was drop dead gorgeous but it sounded like cardboard. I was convinced it was broken/out of spec/needed something and spent $200 having it cleaned and checked and....nope, nothing was wrong and it sounded exactly the same after I got it back. The Pioneer sound has been described as "cold" and "clinical" and it's not for me. Obviously that's just my ears and I'm sure different Pioneer models will sound different from each other.

Sounds like you have a beautiful synergy with the Lux and the KLHs...so don't mess with a good thing.
 
My 1st Luxman R-1120 burned out 2 output transistors. I also had a Pioneer SX-950 that needed work.
I traded both units to a repair fellow in return he sent me a Lux R-1120 he had rebuilt and that works fine.
I went 4 1/2 years without my Luxman and am very happy to have one back and listening to it daily while the new caps break in.
It's no contest for me. I had the Pioneer and the Luxman running side by side at one time and the Lux had a sound I liked better.

People would say to me "why don;t you keep the Pioneer and get it fixed instead" because its a pretty good receiver as well..
I always say to them "You've obviously never heard a Luxman receiver on a good set of speakers have you?"
Many people never even heard of the Luxman brand..

Now, I DID like the sound my SX-828 had and still enjoy the sound of a low powered SX-424... But those were the 1974-1976 Pioneers before they changed something under the hood and took some of the warmth in sound away from them.
 
I had a pioneer SX-980. It was mint inside and out and it just didn't have the magic. It was drop dead gorgeous but it sounded like cardboard. I was convinced it was broken/out of spec/needed something and spent $200 having it cleaned and checked and....nope, nothing was wrong and it sounded exactly the same after I got it back. The Pioneer sound has been described as "cold" and "clinical" and it's not for me. Obviously that's just my ears and I'm sure different Pioneer models will sound different from each other.

Sounds like you have a beautiful synergy with the Lux and the KLHs...so don't mess with a good thing.


Thanks, that’s really helpful. That’s exactly it - it’s the magic. Kind of a bummer...but interesting learning experience (so far).
 
My 1st Luxman R-1120 burned out 2 output transistors. I also had a Pioneer SX-950 that needed work.
I traded both units to a repair fellow in return he sent me a Lux R-1120 he had rebuilt and that works fine.
I went 4 1/2 years without my Luxman and am very happy to have one back and listening to it daily while the new caps break in.
It's no contest for me. I had the Pioneer and the Luxman running side by side at one time and the Lux had a sound I liked better.

People would say to me "why don;t you keep the Pioneer and get it fixed instead" because its a pretty good receiver as well..
I always say to them "You've obviously never heard a Luxman receiver on a good set of speakers have you?"
Many people never even heard of the Luxman brand..

Now, I DID like the sound my SX-828 had and still enjoy the sound of a low powered SX-424... But those were the 1974-1976 Pioneers before they changed something under the hood and took some of the warmth in sound away from them.


Yeah, I feel like I’m crazy. How could the Luxman be so superior and it not be known to the masses? Do all vintage Luxman units have that same quality?
 
You're not crazy. Lux's do have a smoother, more full sound signature. The Pioneer sound is more treble oriented and sounded harsh at at times, at volume on my Infinity speakers. EMIT tweeters will reveal a harsh source.. The bass was there was more clinical sounding..
The Luxman is just butter smooth, yet with great clarity, crisp highs, a satisfying bass and can be listened to for hours without any listening fatigue.

If you want to double your pleasure, try listening to a decent Grado phono cartridge on your Lux, It's a win-win in the fabulous sounding midrange dept.
 
You're not crazy. Lux's do have a smoother, more full sound signature. The Pioneer sound is more treble oriented and sounded harsh at at times, at volume on my Infinity speakers. EMIT tweeters will reveal a harsh source.. The bass was there was more clinical sounding..
The Luxman is just butter smooth, yet with great clarity, crisp highs, a satisfying bass and can be listened to for hours without any listening fatigue.

If you want to double your pleasure, try listening to a decent Grado phono cartridge on your Lux, It's a win-win in the fabulous sounding midrange dept.

cool, I will try that. Thanks for your comment. Glad that my audio instincts were on track!
 
That's what AK is for.
There's all types here with all different interests and favorites but who all like good sound :rockon:
 
Yeah, I feel like I’m crazy. How could the Luxman be so superior and it not be known to the masses? Do all vintage Luxman units have that same quality?
All the 70's Luxman R-series receivers have that similar sound, with varying power output by model.
The 80's Luxman;s aren;t quite as full sounding.
I use a R-115 receiver sometimes for it's remote control and input options.
It sounds decent to me but not in the same league as the earlier 70's receivers.
If you want to go top shelf, Luxman separates are very nice too, but they cost some dough.
 
All the 70's Luxman R-series receivers have that similar sound, with varying power output by model.
The 80's Luxman;s aren;t quite as full sounding.
I use a R-115 receiver sometimes for it's remote control and input options.
It sounds decent to me but not in the same league as the earlier 70's receivers.
If you want to go top shelf, Luxman separates are very nice too, but they cost some dough.

thank you. I find my early Sansui (2000a) and HK’s (430, 330b) feel similarly to the Luxman, but I haven’t tried them out with my fives yet.
 
awat, your ears work.

There is less Luxman love here because they were not in the US until mid-70s or so and many servicemen had already brought back big Pioneer/Marantz and Sansui rigs from their time in the military with the 50% off list price they could buy for. The brands were also well established in the audio stores and warehouses in the US. Retail to about 30% off at the warehouse and piles and piles of these units were delivered, all costing something similar for the same thing, 50-wpc receiver for example. Some price differences but not much.

Luxman's R-1040-1120 were the first easily available receivers in the US with Luxman appointing dealers and such. Their prices were high. 495 for 40wpc and 595 for 55 wpc vs. the Pioneer SX-650 @ 35 for 325 and the SX-750 @ 50 for 425. Don't forget the discount...Luxman did not have anywhere near as much discount. Dealers were able to sell the quality and the brand wasn't at the warehouse from the start. It is just better gear, that is all there is too it. Difference between a Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Mercedes. All do the same but some are just better. That is why the Pio/Mar/Sui folks like their brand.

The Sansui you mention and a few others do have great sound quality. I read about them all the time Kent has a few favorites. The HKs are also known to sound nice. Lots of HK gear is very nice sounding gear. There are brands that have house sound, Yamaha, clean, clear and crisp they call Natural Sound seems a bit thin to me but it is as legitimate as any other house sound. Pioneer seemed to sound tube like early...of course, they were building their first ss units to be better than the tube units they were building. Then the good cleaner with better specs and this is the sound of the 50-series receivers. The 737, and I like the 737 is just on the road to the clean from the tube sound and not quite one or the other. Looks great, nice switching, but not in the sound class of a Luxman. Not much is.

The R-1050 is one of the absolute best receivers ever made. Not a power house, doesn't need to be, that is what separates are made for, but plenty for most and great sound, nice tuner, LED power indication and great looks, even in vinyl it looks great. Keep comparing it and let us know how it stacks up to other gear.
 
Last edited:
awat, your ears work.

There is less Luxman love here because they were not in the US until mid-70s or so and many servicemen had already brought back big Pioneer/Marantz and Sansui rigs from their time in the military with the 50% off list price they could buy for. The brands were also well established in the audio stores and warehouses in the US. Retail to about 30% off at the warehouse and piles and piles of these units were delivered, all costing something similar for the same thing, 50-wpc receiver for example. Some price differences but not much.

Luxman's R-1040-1120 were the first easily available receivers in the US with Luxman appointing dealers and such. Their prices were high. 495 for 40wpc and 595 for 55 wpc vs. the Pioneer SX-650 @ 35 for 325 and the SX-750 @ 50 for 425. Don't forget the discount...Luxman did not have anywhere near as much discount. Dealers were able to sell the quality and the brand wasn't at the warehouse from the start. It is just better gear, that is all there is too it. Difference between a Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Mercedes. All do the same but some are just better. That is why the Pio/Mar/Sui folks like their brand.

The Sansui you mention and a few others do have great sound quality. I read about them all the time Kent has a few favorites. The HKs are also known to sound nice. Lots of HK gear is very nice sounding gear. There are brands that have house sound, Yamaha, clean, clear and crisp they call Natural Sound seems a bit thin to me but it is as legitimate as any other house sound. Pioneer seemed to sound tube like early...of course, they were building their first ss units to be better than the tube units they were building. Then the good cleaner with better specs and this is the sound of the 50-series receivers. The 737, and I like the 737 is just on the road to the clean from the tube sound and not quite one or the other. Looks great, nice switching, but not in the sound class of a Luxman. Not much is.

The R-1050 is one of the absolute best receivers ever made. Not a power house but plenty for most and great sound, nice tuner, LED power indication and great looks, even in vinyl it looks great. Keep comparing it and let us know how it stacks up to other gear.

What great information - thank you so much! The crazy thing is is that I stumbled upon the Luxman just as I started getting back into solid state (I was never necessarily “into” it. It was just the way things sounded, especially in my house growing up in the 70’s) so I have very high standards for newly brought-home gear without really knowing it.

Fortunately, after I picked up the Luxman, I took the advice of AK members and picked up the Sansui and HK models that sound really great and worthy of holding on to.

I really want to find a Luxman 1070 or another great 100wpc for my man cave where I can crank it. Could you please recommend a few units that are comparable to the Luxman and what you like about it?

I really appreciate it. I think I’m close to landing the final pieces on my quest to find the kind of sound I move to listen to day after day. This site is awesome.
 
You're comparing apples and oranges. The Luxman is higher up the food chain at 55 watts/channel, and the fact that Luxman was, and is, a high end brand. The Pioneer 737, at 35 watts, is pretty low down on Pioneer's catalog, a comparison to an SX 750, SX 850 or 1000TW might be better. Even then, Pioneer, while they made some great stuff, was never really a luxury brand. Also, certain gear works best with certain gear. Your Luxman may be a great fit for those KLH5s, but the 737 may be a better fit for another set of speakers.
 
Yes, Luxman is a premium brand. You can stop there as it just sounds good and works well.

Using the 1050 vs 737 staying in the range of what the 737 will do is a fair comparison. I don't think the SX-1050 will better the R-1050 either both played within the capabilities of the R at less than half the power. Different goals by the companies when designed and sold.
 
Last edited:
You're comparing apples and oranges. The Luxman is higher up the food chain at 55 watts/channel, and the fact that Luxman was, and is, a high end brand. The Pioneer 737, at 35 watts, is pretty low down on Pioneer's catalog, a comparison to an SX 750, SX 850 or 1000TW might be better. Even then, Pioneer, while they made some great stuff, was never really a luxury brand. Also, certain gear works best with certain gear. Your Luxman may be a great fit for those KLH5s, but the 737 may be a better fit for another set of speakers.


Yes, thank you. I was wondering if different speakers might make a difference - something more efficient, perhaps?
 
Yes, Luxman is a premium brand. You can stop there as it just dounds good and works well.

Using the 1050 vs 737 staying in the range of what the 737 will do is a fair comparison. I don't think the SX-1050 will better the R-1050 either both plated in the capabilities of the R at less than half the power. Different goals by the companies when designed and sold.

I’ve read lots and lots of great things about the SX-1050. I’d love to hear it one day in my setup and see how it compares.

Still, when I listen to music now, it feels as though I’m hearing each song for the very first time. And everything sounds amazing. What a fantastic receiver - a real treat!
 
I have a Luxman R-1050. I also have a Pioneer SX-1010. I have had them both for a while; they are both great machines.

Who doesn't like a 110 watts per channel Pioneer from 1974-1976? Who doesn't like that blue display?

The Luxman just has a vinyl veneer. Not real wood.

But the R-1050 sounds just a bit better.
 
Last edited:
One day I had TWO Pioneer SX838, both unrestored, in need of repairs not related to sound quality. After the repairs one of them was sounding very "dull" and the other one was sounding good.
I ASSUME one had more "tired" components and would have benefited from a recap. (Some collector heard I had them and bought them both so I did not put more effort).

To me this proves if not really restored, you may have a very different sound and comparisons may be not really valid.
 
Back
Top Bottom