• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman R-1050

Overundr1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Been in storage for a long time, Luxman R-1050, 55wpc of stereo goodness in really nice shape. Do not see many comments about this series from the late 70's. Hooked up to speakers for a run, no static in the controls, FM tuner works perfectly along with all the lamps. Pulled the covers for a look and clean as could be inside. Now I need to decide if I want to do the full on restoration or leave it as it is. Pics for show and tell---

upload_2023-5-10_15-1-27.png

upload_2023-5-10_15-1-43.png
 
Register to hide this ad
That doesn't look like the regular cabinet which was a rosewood vinyl covered box. It does look like all 4 lamps are working. Nice that you show a pic of the unit on. Many don't do that.

I've been saying this is one of the very best vintage receivers for overall performance. Sound quality is top notch, power is adequate and it looks good with the less used function hidden with small controls across the dark band above the dial. And it has LED power indicators with a low power switch position.

Some have rebuilt these to proclaim a nice improvement.
 
I never got to hear a 1050, I'm assuming it's right in the sweet spot between the 1040 and the 1070 which I've owned in the past.

Glad to see and hear it's been released from storage and playing well for you
 
Year Old Thread revival question.
Whats your stance on recapping the tuner board? Tone Control?
I plan on checking all of those but if they're OFF, they will get replaced anyway. However, I cannot perform alignments due to lack of equipment and knowledge. Is that a problem?
(I did NOT mess with the tuner at all on my Yami CR1000 and its fine, I rebuilt everything else though including faders.)
(I DID recap a 636 entirely and the tuner seems alright, not bad, but surely needs proper alignment.)

On the 1050, I've replaced the filter caps due to 40% drift, all 4 output Qs, & repaired one amp bd. And after about a year the LT CH started popping some.
I'll be checking (prob replacing) all the usual PS & Amp ECs and the black-legged Qs on the amp boards. I might start a new thread, and i "might" convert Tape-2 RCAs (since it also has DIN) to Pre-Out/Main-In jacks. Might, is the operative word. Depends on how adventurous I'm feeling about that.
 
Last edited:
I've read many tuners don't have 'lytics in the tuning system and you can recap them. I haven't looked at the scat for the 1050 to verify. Maybe the @Overundr1 will drop in and let us know what he did.
 
Ok. Understood. Thanks for that.
Which also could mean I might revisit the CR1000 tuner.
Just how could restoring drifted caps affect alignment other than previous service work?
 
Just replaced electros in tuner circuit of a TX-2500, now it catches more stations and sounds better and I didnt have to adjust anything. I tend to use a cap meter and test for DF and ESR before replacing instead of shotgunning caps. In this case only 2 or 3 tested somewhat bad ( like .12df compared to .04 of the new ones) but the ones that improved sound the most were in audio path of the tuner output even though the df and esr were not that bad the imaging improvement was slightly more than subtle.
 
Just how could restoring drifted caps affect alignment other than previous service work?
drifted caps implies 'lytics and those aren't generally in the tuning circuit, power supply (yes, on the tuner board on some units, maybe a storage cap or something) and the audio circuit which is well past the tuning RF and IF sections.
 
I know this is a revived thread, but I will respond anyway.


Hooked up to speakers for a run, no static in the controls, FM tuner works perfectly along with all the lamps. Pulled the covers for a look and clean as could be inside. Now I need to decide if I want to do the full on restoration or leave it as it is.

I tend to take the attitude that if something is not broken, it does not need to be repaired. It is only imperfectly operating or equipment that is not operating that needs to be serviced, or something that is known to have a design or manufacturing defect.

Besides, I have seen more than one thread where someone starts off telling us that they took a perfectly working unit and replaced capacitors, and now they have a problem that they need help figuring out. If only they had left it alone....
 
This is a good example of that train of thought. The Luxman needed a dusting and checking, control cleaning and a listen. Everything sounded great. No obvious cap swelling or other issues that would warrant my reworking any of the boards. After a few days pf rotation the Luxman once again slumbers on a shelf displaced by pieces in the Sansui collection.
 
That doesn't look like the regular cabinet which was a rosewood vinyl covered box.

According to this, it came with real wood, not vinyl:


Although it is difficult to be certain just by looking at pictures online, with the quick search that I did of this model, it seems like all of the ones I looked at online have a real wood finish and not vinyl.


it looks good with the less used function hidden with small controls across the dark band above the dial.

I would not call a power switch a control that is "less used" than a bass or treble control, nor would I put a tape monitor control in the category of "less used," as that control is used every time one listens to a tape deck.
 
Although it is difficult to be certain just by looking at pictures online, with the quick search that I did of this model, it seems like all of the ones I looked at online have a real wood finish and not vinyl.
Every one we sold and the ones I own, R-1120 x 3, R-1050, R-1040 are all vinyl clad. That TVK image does look like real wood like what is on my C-1000 but I have not seen an R with wood in the series of 1030-1040-1050-1070-1120. But am only familiar with the US product and TVK is a € site.
 
I tend to take the attitude that if something is not broken,... Besides, I have seen more than one thread where someone starts off telling us that they took a perfectly working unit and replaced capacitors, and now they have a problem
Overundr1 is more than capable of fixing this unit if there is an error based on what some folks who know him say. But there are a lot of us, I'm one, that is going too far into things and causing issues they need help fixing.
 
I would not call a power switch a control that is "less used" than a bass or treble control,
That is just getting picky. It is a larger push button than the little ones and is discrete in the dark band. Just classy.
 
Well boys, since we're all here again, what about those 2SA836E's? I have a ton of KSA992FTBAs, question is, where's the bad one? EQ, VOL, TONE?
The reason I'm on the 1050 trail is LT CH snap-crackle-pop. Unless I hear different I'm gonna shotgun ALL 236s!
Mr SteelyD nice story here:
 
Back
Top Bottom