GeneParmesan
New Member
Hello AK'ers,
Looking for some pointers on how to clean this switch, or at least get some F5 into it.
The is the "CD Straight" switch on my Luxman R-117 receiver, and I'm thinking (hoping) it's just dirty. Pushing this switch in provides a direct connection from the CD input terminals from the volume control, bypassing all other controls ( Tape Monitor, EQ, Subsonic Filter, Balance Control, etc.). The switch is normally out.
A couple of months ago I noticed audio coming from the right channel was seriously degraded while listening to my WiiM (currently plugged into the CD input). At first, I thought it was maybe a bad cable/loose connection somewhere, but after checking connections and replacing all the RCA cables with new, the issued remained. It is very sporadic, and doesn't happen all of the time.
When it happened a second time, I started moving knobs/switches around to see if it might be a dirty pot/switch. Once I pushed in the "CD Straight" switch sound from the right channel came back immediately. Aha! I powered everything off, and exercised the switch a couple of times, powered everything back on, and it seemed to resolve the issue temporarily, but I knew an F5 cleaning was necessary.
Well, I had some time today and took the covers off to look arund inside and this is what I found. This particular switch appears sealed. There doesn't appear to be a way to get any F5 into it. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, short of dismantling the switch (which I really don't want to do)?
I am also attaching a pic of the entire unit. I love this beast. Yes, it's ugly as sin, but it sounds fantastic. Normally, I am fairly confident working on gear, but the shear mass and tangle of components inside this behemoth overwhelms me a little.
Thanks in advance advance for any advice!
Looking for some pointers on how to clean this switch, or at least get some F5 into it.
The is the "CD Straight" switch on my Luxman R-117 receiver, and I'm thinking (hoping) it's just dirty. Pushing this switch in provides a direct connection from the CD input terminals from the volume control, bypassing all other controls ( Tape Monitor, EQ, Subsonic Filter, Balance Control, etc.). The switch is normally out.
A couple of months ago I noticed audio coming from the right channel was seriously degraded while listening to my WiiM (currently plugged into the CD input). At first, I thought it was maybe a bad cable/loose connection somewhere, but after checking connections and replacing all the RCA cables with new, the issued remained. It is very sporadic, and doesn't happen all of the time.
When it happened a second time, I started moving knobs/switches around to see if it might be a dirty pot/switch. Once I pushed in the "CD Straight" switch sound from the right channel came back immediately. Aha! I powered everything off, and exercised the switch a couple of times, powered everything back on, and it seemed to resolve the issue temporarily, but I knew an F5 cleaning was necessary.
Well, I had some time today and took the covers off to look arund inside and this is what I found. This particular switch appears sealed. There doesn't appear to be a way to get any F5 into it. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, short of dismantling the switch (which I really don't want to do)?
I am also attaching a pic of the entire unit. I love this beast. Yes, it's ugly as sin, but it sounds fantastic. Normally, I am fairly confident working on gear, but the shear mass and tangle of components inside this behemoth overwhelms me a little.
Thanks in advance advance for any advice!